• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2023/24

Several good moves today, moments of excitement where you thought something was gonna happen, wasn't a wipeout.
Even without Doherty's fantastic burst through and Hart's reckless challenge, it wasn't so bad.
Yes we gave the ball away and from our low down position one ball in the second half played from wide right nicely into the middle of the pitch to set Celtic up was absolutely shocking and I watched Lopetegui doing his nut in little circles on the touchline, and yes, we gave the ball cluelessly away several times, but patching it together were moments of strung together passes and a bit of a blunt attack. Apart from 4 or 5 exciting passages.
Not bad for a friendly, great atmosphere, good fun, nice stadium but really pricey at €50, and a shout out to the cunts putting the programme together. €10 for a 64 page full colour programme, 17 pages for Wolves and 43 for in depth good stuff for Celtic.
Something so sad about Sasa having to get changed and get his kit on just so he could do the warm down exercises at the end...

Did not miss:
Podence
Adama
Johnny
Better shape without the first two.
Will miss Neves obviously.
Thought Lemina did well after his initial blunder.
Defence looked a mess, particularly since they've been a 'unit' for half a season already.
Sarabia very good, intelligent player.
Put a forward or two like Fabio and Sasa in front of him and not Cunha and we could be onto something.
Cunha obviously a good player but not a striker more of a 10.
Could do with Boubacar in for Hodge.

I'd normally be upset about him complaining in public, but in this case the club need him more than the other way round. And if it highlights the current incompetence in the ownership then I don't mind so much.

Did not miss:
Podence
Adama
Johnny
Better shape without the first two.
Once again banging the ‘number one Podence fan’ drum. I genuinely feel that today would have been more comfortable had he been playing. Yeah his decision-making is often iffy, but he does take some chances, which I think we missed a little. I think he’d have buried the chance that fell to Nunes that he blasted over the bar. He’s also shown in the few games they’ve played together that he’s got quite good link up with Fabs (though I could well be thinking this solely on some cup competition two seasons ago…).

You know all of the above, or I suppose a fairly good chance that he frustrates everyone and himself and takes a swing at someone again!

Once again banging the ‘number one Podence fan’ drum. I genuinely feel that today would have been more comfortable had he been playing. Yeah his decision-making is often iffy, but he does take some chances, which I think we missed a little. I think he’d have buried the chance that fell to Nunes that he blasted over the bar. He’s also shown in the few games they’ve played together that he’s got quite good link up with Fabs (though I could well be thinking this solely on some cup competition two seasons ago…).

You know all of the above, or I suppose a fairly good chance that he frustrates everyone and himself and takes a swing at someone again!
Get that. Wouldn't deny his ability.
But I'm more into the 'shape' and organisation, than individual talent and trickery.
That's just me.

Had an article pop up in my news feed earlier today suggesting that Podence is quite easily good enough for Man City. Figured it was just some piece from a twitter bod, then saw it was from Gabby Abgbonlahor. The fact he is suggesting this tells you what an appalling player Podence must be, if Agbonlahor told me the earth was spherical then I'd only assume that the flat earth nuts must be right.

certainly reads better than "successive years of cancellations and bodge jobs" Screenshot_2023-07-30-18-16-37-609_com.theathletic.jpg

Yeah there was a similarly glowing Athletic article talking about how the players were using foam roller and carb loading as soon as the Beşiktaş game finished I seem to recall.

There was, years ago now though.
And during that time Brentford were in the Champ and Brighton were struggling. Success for the Non elite is fleeting but one is frequently held up as the way to do things. Have a look at the Prem tables from the last 10 years as there is a decent amount of teams who finished in the 8th-12th range that have suffered at least one relegation since achieving that.

I was talking more about how much more professional we seemed to be, communication with the fans was better, fitness was managed so much better, particularly in that Europa season, we got a lot of things off the pitch right, and instead of trying to continue with and improve with that, well we haven't. We appointed Doctor Death, appointed Vinny, promoted Sellars, employed Lage..

A lot to agree with. There is always an element of when doing well you get told so, I said it at the time it was a mistake to treat our lack of injuries as a sign of just our clubs work, as it completely ignored all the other data in football.

Ignore that 😂

Thought it kicked off at 6:30 and loaded it up, misspelling on the screen "Wanderes"... But doubt anyone else has got that on to know what I was on about as they're not a numpty

Back