• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Fixture thread (22/23)

I've only seen the goals (thanks to those who posted) but Alaves look absolutely rubbish. Makes a change from us looking shit last pre-season at least.

Was a fairly enjoyable pre season game that from our perspective. Alaves truly awful but was encouraged by our positional play. Managed to win the ball back quite quickly to prevent counter attacks which has been an issue playing with a back four for us previously.

Tell you what, there was a hell of a lot to be encouraged about in there. Some really good attacking play, good pressing. Alaves were shit, but definitely played more than our part in that

Enjoyable watch.

Should probably point out that the opposition were appalling, so important to not get carried away, but I thought we looked sharp throughout. Very encouraging to see most of them coming back looking so fit and hitting the ground running. MGW can definitely play a big part this season. I think he can link the midfield and attack, which is what we've needed. Some of those one touch passing moves in & around the box were lovely to see, and I think MGW/Podence/Neto will cause teams trouble.

Still glaringly obvious that we need someone to compete with Raul (or dare I say it, replace?!) - and as Dan said in the first half, Donk is being asked to play in a position that doesn't get the best out of him - but you can't question his attitude.

All of the defenders looked sharp. Liked the look of the Collins/Kilman partnership in terms of how comfortable both are in bringing the ball out of defence and their height/strength/pace (quality goal by Max). Boly looked like he'd gained a yard of pace too.

Encouraging.

Sa, Podence, Kilman and Collins into the first half side and you've got a team. Not one with much depth, but a decent first 11. Alaves weren't up to much, but it was encouraging, particularly with how narrow the wide forwards came. - Raul must have changed his deodorant.

We can’t play Coady and Boly as a high 2, not that it was an issue tonight, but we'll be beasted on the counter in the PL.

Thanks to Billy for the link

Last edited:
I hadn't realized that Alaves got relegated to Liga 2, so this holds about as much water for me as our results against Watford last season.

It's pre season Alan and they are a week behind us. It's not about the score, but about how we look and patterns of play of which with all due necessary caveats there was something to be positive about. Fwiw we didn't beat the worst team in the PL in 3 attempts last season

It's pre season Alan and they are a week behind us. It's not about the score, but about how we look and patterns of play of which with all due necessary caveats there was something to be positive about. Fwiw we didn't beat the worst team in the PL in 3 attempts last season
One preseason match and the vibe turns on a dime. ;)

Let me shout at the kids from my lawn, dammit!

I hadn't realized that Alaves got relegated to Liga 2, so this holds about as much water for me as our results against Watford last season.
We looked absolutely dreadful in most of our friendlies last year. Hence the back four being put firmly at the back of the cupboard.

We looked good today so we can carry on developing it.

That's about the strength of it.

Didn’t watch second half but assuming a 4231 second half? This suits all the players better and gets more of our better players on the pitch.

I’d be fine with the 433 if we played MGW there (or a signing) and maybe just Donck in there against City and Liverpool.

Back 4 looks a given, and I honestly think he’s going to phase Coady out. Can’t see how he doesn’t play Collins, and can’t see him not playing Kilman.

Back