• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Reducing our energy consumption.

This is not a wind up!
Just to show you that our government is completely in touch with the people and care for all of us in these difficult times, they have announced today, at lunchtime, "that we should avoid using energy between 4pm and 7pm if we can possibly avoid it!"
There!
What do you think about that!
A caring government indeed!
Fucking idiots!

Why not? If you can avoid using energy at peak times it’s helpful to everyone.

we should avoid using energy between 4pm and 7pm if we can possibly avoid it!"
My problem is I try to do this across the best part of my waking hours (or are we still talking about the leccy?)

We can all have siesta, get under the blankets to keep warm, then we’ll work into the night with all the lights blazing to save energy.
Expect this to be announced as a policy shortly.

Some useful advice from Vestager ( Vice President of the EU Commission )

Mind you he's switched the pipeline off now ( so he's definitely took it ).

Should somebody tell these people that the sanctions on Russia are fucking people up across Europe ?

Why not? If you can avoid using energy at peak times it’s helpful to everyone.
Where's me dinner?
The government have told me not to start cooking it until 7pm, so It'll be ready at 8.30.
Mum, I'm starving...
Tough, Come and ask me again in an hour and a half...

Where's me dinner?
The government have told me not to start cooking it until 7pm, so It'll be ready at 8.30.
Mum, I'm starving...
Lucia+Belfry+Kitchen+Single+Burner+Portable+Liquid+Propane+Gas+and+Charcoal+Grill.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: b3h
Where's me dinner?
Mum, I'm starving...
Avoidable use... like not doing your washing while cooking your dinner. Its fairly basic fucking stuff.

Of course we could cover the planet in power stations because people are selfish idiots if you like.

Mum! The fire alarm keeps going off and I can't hear Roblox on the telly!
A) No TV, read a book
B) Get rid of the smoke alarm, house go up in flames just think how lovely and warm you will be for the evening
C) Get a Torch for A)

Already had cavity wall & increased loft insulation done a few years ago under a Gov't grant scheme plus LED lighting everywhere. Not much else I can do short of removing all the fixed flooring & insulating the solid concrete slab floor. Solar panels aren't cost effective (I have looked into it) as the roof configuration they would need to go on is not able to take enough panels to make much difference.

Main thermostat reduced & thermal vests if needed - radiator thermostats lowered in rooms I don't use much. Have a tumble dryer, but not used for 3 years (not even sure it still works) - haven't got sufficient hair to need a hairdrier.

Looking into an air fryer & using the microwave more rather than the main oven as they are much cheaper to operate

At least as a pensioner will get the winter fuel payment & the extra top up promised plus the £400 to (almost) everyone - though if you are well enough off to own 3 houses you get that for each one which is not a good use of resources as you would only be in 1 at any point.

The final whistle goes at the end of the Cup Final and the commentator gives the score and immediately tells people not to put the kettle on...

For new meters, and if there’s an option, get it installed in the house. Might be a faff but if there’s a leak on the comm pipe it’s their problem not yours.
Wasn't offered an option when we had ours fitted in March, tbh I lift the flap outside our house periodically to check for leaks.
I'm hopeful we're gunna save quite a lot on our water bill.

Wasn't offered an option when we had ours fitted in March, tbh I lift the flap outside our house periodically to check for leaks.
You have to ask assuming you're in the STW area. They don't like to do it as its a pain in the ass.

Didn't have a choice when I moved in & they just installed one (as a single occupier I wanted it anyway so no issue).

Not perfect as the original started leaking in April - got replaced.

August started leaking again & got changed.

That was 2 weeks ago & the replacements replacement is leaking!!

Still iit's all their side of the meter so no cost to me.

Didn't have a choice when I moved in & they just installed one (as a single occupier I wanted it anyway so no issue).

Not perfect as the original started leaking in April - got replaced.

August started leaking again & got changed.

That was 2 weeks ago & the replacements replacement is leaking!!

Still iit's all their side of the meter so no cost to me.
If its outside it'll be a manifold meter - replacing it will not fix a leak...

Already had cavity wall & increased loft insulation done a few years ago under a Gov't grant scheme plus LED lighting everywhere. Not much else I can do short of removing all the fixed flooring & insulating the solid concrete slab floor. Solar panels aren't cost effective (I have looked into it) as the roof configuration they would need to go on is not able to take enough panels to make much difference.

Main thermostat reduced & thermal vests if needed - radiator thermostats lowered in rooms I don't use much. Have a tumble dryer, but not used for 3 years (not even sure it still works) - haven't got sufficient hair to need a hairdrier.

Looking into an air fryer & using the microwave more rather than the main oven as they are much cheaper to operate

At least as a pensioner will get the winter fuel payment & the extra top up promised plus the £400 to (almost) everyone - though if you are well enough off to own 3 houses you get that for each one which is not a good use of resources as you would only be in 1 at any point.
Just for the sake of a comparison, your main oven is gonna eat 4,000 watts. 1 hour usage = €1.04.
Air fryer (approx) 60 mins = 0.48c But goodness knows what you'd be cooking in an air fryer for 60'!
Lovely crispy, brown chips take 15' = 0.14c.
Very healthy, no fat, no oil, just very hot air = guilt free.

If its outside it'll be a manifold meter - replacing it will not fix a leak...
No it's the actual meters leaking from the joints in its construction - clearly substandard

Still its Wessex Water staff doing it and you have to hope they know what they are doing.

No it's the actual meters leaking from the joints in its construction - clearly substandard

Still its Wessex Water staff doing it and you have to hope they know what they are doing.
No it’s not. If it’s an outside meter it screws into a manifold - the meter doesn’t have any joints. The manifold does have them.

Unfortunately even the best modern ones leak a little (especially the smallest particulates that don't really smell), and the amount that comes out when the doors are opened for refuelling, even if it's only a couple of times a day, is enough to flood a room enough that it'll take a couple of hours to dissipate (by which time it's probably time to refuel). Comparable to standing near a busy road and breathing in the exhaust fumes apparently.

If the window's open to vent the room as well it's not as big an issue of course, but if you're using it to keep warm then the windows aren't gonna be open!

For occasional use it'll be fine but as a long-term solution it's unfortunately just one of those things, smoke is gonna act like smoke.
But once you get it hot, all the fuel is glowing hot, the stove components are all hot. Everything is glowing with only the odd flame, the fire is damped down there is no smoke. None. you can safely open the door to put more fuel on and all that comes out is hot air.

Back