• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation run in 22/23 ** Now a Wolves free zone**

It's always gunna be subjective depending on age.
Ultimately deciding who are the biggest teams is a fun past time but completely pointless.
For me the top benchmarks are supporter numbers, trophy and longevity. Can't look past Manchester United and Arsenal as the 2 biggest.
You could make a case for any club averaging 30,000+ home support as big.
Not sure about pre WW2 but suspect there are a number of northern/midland sides who have multiple trophy and big gates, including us.

It's always gunna be subjective depending on age.
Ultimately deciding who are the biggest teams is a fun past time but completely pointless.
For me the top benchmarks are supporter numbers, trophy and longevity. Can't look past Manchester United and Arsenal as the 2 biggest.
You could make a case for any club averaging 30,000+ home support as big.
Not sure about pre WW2 but suspect there are a number of northern/midland sides who have multiple trophy and big gates, including us.
Yes, it's 20 years since Sheff Wed went down and they don't have the European Cups to lean back on like Forest do for the younger generation. Someone in their 20s probably wouldn't consider them even though I think they comfortably make the list.

PL if it were just the Top 20 biggest clubs, only metric being my subjective opinion
Newcastle
Sunderland
Sheff Wed
Sheff Utd
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton
Man U
Man C
Wolves
Villa
Albion
Derby
Forest
Leicester
Chelsea
West Ham
Arsenal
Spurs
Norwich

In reality the 20 biggest clubs these days are the 20 that sit in it at any given time given the financial disparity

Does highlight you could have PL1 and PL2 two divisions of and no one would look out of place.

Take Tony’s leave PL 1 and PL 2 would be
Blackburn
Ipswich
Bolton
Portsmouth
Burnley
Palace
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Southampton
Birmingham
Cardiff
Swansea
Bristol City
Preston
Fulham
Charlton
Coventry
Watford
Luton
QPR

Liverpool are bigger than Arsenal. More titles, 6 European cups to nil. Not even a contest.
Yeah meant to put Liverpool in there.
We stack up quite well outside of those teams although most of our success was over 60 years ago. 4 top league titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups.

Is Leeds the biggest city with only 1 team? Definitely works in their favour.

According to the Major Towns and Cities dataset, perhaps surprisingly over half of the largest 20 cities in England and Wales have only one PL/EFL club:

Leeds
Leicester
Bradford
Cardiff
Coventry
Hull
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Plymouth
Derby
Southampton
Reading
Wolverhampton

Yeah meant to put Liverpool in there.
We stack up quite well outside of those teams although most of our success was over 60 years ago. 4 top league titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups.
3 league titles should’ve been 5 only for final balls ups in 47 & 60.
With ourselves you can’t ignore the pioneering attitude of the club in the early 50’s and playing sides from all over Europe also.

Also should have had a European trophy. I still bear a grudge against Spurs and I wasn’t born until two weeks later.

Does highlight you could have PL1 and PL2 two divisions of and no one would look out of place.

Take Tony’s leave PL 1 and PL 2 would be
Blackburn
Ipswich
Bolton
Portsmouth
Burnley
Palace
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Southampton
Birmingham
Cardiff
Swansea
Bristol City
Preston
Fulham
Charlton
Coventry
Watford
Luton
QPR
Huddersfield would be in your PL2. 3 league titles.

Yep I watch a lot of old highlights from the side of the early 70’s 1 league cup doesn’t do them justice.
Between 70-74 finished 4th, 5th won the league cup, UEFA cup runners up, FA Cup SF and League Cup SF.

Personally I like the current PL it’s a blend of traditional clubs and smaller well run clubs in it.
I’ve said it before only 6-7 clubs know they’re place in the PL is definitely secure the rest of us know that we’re just a bit of bad look away from relegation. You’re never established just a case of being there a long time. Saints are going down after an 11 year stay.

Also should have had a European trophy. I still bear a grudge against Spurs and I wasn’t born until two weeks later.
I was gutted, thought Wolves would go on from there to dominate English and European football, kids eh.

Personally I like the current PL it’s a blend of traditional clubs and smaller well run clubs in it.
I’ve said it before only 6-7 clubs know they’re place in the PL is definitely secure the rest of us know that we’re just a bit of bad look away from relegation. You’re never established just a case of being there a long time. Saints are going down after an 11 year stay.
I really hope Everton join them… been top flight since 1957 if I remember right… and their only fan I know is a right fucking cunt…

Back