• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

I think the bottom 3 will likely stay as is now. I could see 25 points being enough for 17th to be honest.
If we continue at our current trajectory then 24 games gives us 30 points, which right now would seem like enough.

I think the bottom 3 will likely stay as is now. I could see 25 points being enough for 17th to be honest.
Bournemouth whilst not great still have a bit more than all the other 3 and enough to develop a gap.

Be a travesty if they get their points deduction and all it costs them is a few million in PL prize money. They'd only be 4 points behind Luton with 2/3 of the season left.
It’s what the PL have been waiting for all along. Too scared to make a decision and now going to have the cop out of making one when it’s inconsequential

It’s what the PL have been waiting for all along. Too scared to make a decision and now going to have the cop out of making one when it’s inconsequential
At least it will set a precedent. They absolutely have to make an example of someone or the whole FFP thing is pointless going forwards.

At least it will set a precedent. They absolutely have to make an example of someone or the whole FFP thing is pointless going forwards.

Well yes. They need to be seen as doing something. But why has it taken them over 2 years to make a decision?

City it’s because there are 115 charges and the defendant is happy to spend about £50m on lawyers to delay it.

Then why did they take so long with Toney too? I just think their procedures are far too creaky.

It felt like Tonali was dealt with quickly and efficiently? Likewise some of the Italian corruption in recent times, but the FA/EPL take forever.

(Obviously I agree that the City lawyers will be delaying and delaying too though)

Last edited:
Here's a (in hindsight, not so) fun fact:

Sheffield United, Luton, and Burnley have combined for fewer points through 12 matchdays than the promoted sides in the 95/96 season... when there were only two (Boro and Bolton)!

Reactions: b3h
I never know with the Sliding Doors 1995 moment (bear in mind we'd have had Reading in the final who finished above us and outplayed us twice). We weren't a very good team under Taylor, lots of fun moments but so horribly flawed. Nothing about his post-Wolves career says he would have been a good PL manager either.

I never know with the Sliding Doors 1995 moment (bear in mind we'd have had Reading in the final who finished above us and outplayed us twice). We weren't a very good team under Taylor, lots of fun moments but so horribly flawed. Nothing about his post-Wolves career says he would have been a good PL manager either.
He didn't really have money post Wolves though, and he did surprisingly get Watford up, and then nearly died which may or may not have made a difference to their Prem season.

He'd have been given a fortune under Hayward if we'd have gone up that season though, in a period where it would have had a huge impact.

However his inability to spot a midfielder would probably have meant we struggled.

Did we miss out on promotion that year only because of the trim from 22 to 20?

It wasn't the defeat as such, they were the better team at Burnden, more the manner and the Bully on the pitch moment. Not an original thought but the away game should have been a dead rubber. I didn't like Shilton as an England keeper from the mid 80s onwards, him having a blinder 10 years after that was inexplicable and that's before we knew he was a cunt

Back