• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rugby League Thread

When Origin was proper old school

FB_IMG_1685514116516.jpg

Last edited:
Christ it’s taken seriously here. The youngest kids were mandated to wear maroon today for school as their usual uniform is blue!

Yeah, QLD have always taken SoO a lot more seriously than NSW. Probably to do with decades of NSW dominance in the old Interstate comp which had seen diminishing spectator interest.

It’s now a great and close game. QLD started like a train but NSW are coming back very strong indeed. Thoroughly enjoyable game now.

Just watched Brisbane Broncos sneak past Newcastle Knights. One of the best games I have seen in a very long time and the winning try was absolutely outrageous! Brilliant.

Ah. I will check that out as I think the Kayo sports provider here has super league. Saints v Wigan is always tasty.

Have you ever seen the QLD or NSW cup action over here Phil? Looks like second XIII stuff for the NRL teams but I watched St George Illawarra v South Sydney at lunch time and the standard was excellent.

Yes I have mate. A few years ago the matchday would have youth, reserve and then finally first grade matches back to back. My (prior to Super League amalgamations) team is Balmain Tigers who compete in the NSW comp. Similarly North Sydney Bears are my daughter's husband and his family's team.

I go to see Western Clydesdales quite a bit here in Toowoomba. I think it probably equates to about third tier but it’s excellent entertainment.

I watch Erina Eagles in the Central Coast league. There standard is similar to the UK's 3rd tier. The clubs are usually feeder clubs for the NRL sides and have affiliations with them. The Blues's Nicho Hynes is from Gosford and played in the CC league for Umina Beach Bunnies before signing for Manly. He played for Melbourne and is currently a Sharkie.

Clydesdales years ago were bronco feeder but now I think they are affiliated with the Cowboys.

Early in their playing careers forwards Barrie McDermott and David Stephenson played a season (1993) for Wyong Roos in the CCL. They both played RL for Oldham at the time. However that year predates summer RL in the UK so it was quite common for a switch to Oz in the summer.

Shock Leeds Rhinos news as Zane Tetevano faces heart surgery following stroke, aims to play again this year

The 32-year-old Cook Islands and former New Zealand international suffered a stroke while training last month, the club have confirmed.

First beers cracked open. Big roast nearly cooked. Ninety minutes from Origin game 2.

Back