• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 0 Wolves 2 - Verdict Thread

He's gone vegan apparently!

We do need to sort ourselves out at set pieces. It's been an issue in most games so far, even going back to pre-season, and it's where Saints seemed to get the little bit of joy that they did last night.

Connor Ronan is a proper first team option, Saiss should be looking anxiously over his shoulder right now.

Nice to see it when vinagre strokes the ball around.

And it will want it beack next month as well.

What pleases me the most about last night's result was the fact that Southampton made 5 (6?) changes to their Premier League team and we changed our whole team, then when subs came on, they were bringing on Premier League regulars and we brought on our Under 23 lads ... and we still beat them. And did it playing football, as is the Nuno way. As Deutsch says, we do really need to have a fresh look at defending set pieces though - I'm personally not a fan of zonal marking; give me good old man-marking any day. That said, I still think the future looks good for this season. We still need (with some help from officials) to devise a way of beating the Cardiffs when they come to stop us playing in any way they can, but it's a nice feeling to think that teams are scared of playing us at football because they think we will beat them at that game.

Anyone did Marshall look fat again? Or just unfit this time...

Also I wonder if either of our LB's have a right foot... Sounds like Vinagre is worthy of a spot, shame he can't have Doherty's.

What pleases me the most about last night's result was the fact that Southampton made 5 (6?) changes to their Premier League team and we changed our whole team, then when subs came on, they were bringing on Premier League regulars and we brought on our Under 23 lads ... and we still beat them. And did it playing football, as is the Nuno way. As Deutsch says, we do really need to have a fresh look at defending set pieces though - I'm personally not a fan of zonal marking; give me good old man-marking any day. That said, I still think the future looks good for this season. We still need (with some help from officials) to devise a way of beating the Cardiffs when they come to stop us playing in any way they can, but it's a nice feeling to think that teams are scared of playing us at football because they think we will beat them at that game.

Big thing for me is that we care building a team/squad with the aim of getting promoted AND prospering in the Prem. Cardiff are thinking no further than promotion: managers like Colin and MM simply cannot cope in the Prem.

Like this Stat (no idea if true or not though)

Goodbrand Stats‏ @StatsChristian
Nuno Espírito Santo is the 1st #Wolves manager since the club joined the #EFL in 1888 to win his opening 3 away games.

On the highlight video we saw of vinagre, he seemed to spend half the time at right wing, so I'd be happy to try him at rwb for a few games

It's an odd one, managers won't think twice about sticking some shithouse right back at left back for a while, even if his left peg is as useful as a Zimbabwean dollar, but you very, very rarely see left backs moved to the other side. They'll put some lug of a centre half at RB instead. We have vast experience of both scenarios.

Might be asking a lot for some 19 year old kid who has played two senior games ever to make that switch though.

He sounds absolutely delighted with the performance. Well in Nuno!

Forget the Neves signing now thinking that the best deal we have made is Nuno himself

Having the best players won't help if there is no plan or organisation from the Manager. He has transformed us within weeks (helped by knowing what players he needed to make it work, though has managed to get the old guard buying into it and performing creditably, & the club having the connections & money to bring it to fruition). Love how happy & relaxed he was at the end of that interview.

Soton tried to match up our formation yesterday, but was only the first time they had played it & with only limited practice - it showed

Mission accomplished. I think everyone realises that how Bristol Rovers approach the next round is going to have a big impact on the tie. Hopefully that includes the officials.

Brownie points for Nuno for this quote from the main site

“It gives us good signs going forward. Besides the team, we want to build a really big club, a strong club. Back to the Wolves of the 50s and 60s.”

Mission accomplished. I think everyone realises that how Bristol Rovers approach the next round is going to have a big impact on the tie. Hopefully that includes the officials.

I think the officials point is more important than how Bristol set up to play. Cardiff and Southampton should have had players sent off - the Charlie Austin one looks atrocious!

Cardiff and Southampton should have had players sent off - the Charlie Austin one looks atrocious!

It was - even in real time which is how the Ref would have seen it. Slightly higher on the leg & he would have very lucky not to have anything seriously damaged

He sounds absolutely delighted with the performance. Well in Nuno!

Doesn't he just. I don't think I've ever seen a manager absolutely bursting with joy like that in a post-match interview. You can see how much it means to him. Nuno Santo, he's one of our own.

Britney's player ratings are a bit strange. He's given Vinagre a 7 when several others have 8, despite him and others talking him up as MOTM.

Britney's player ratings are a bit strange. He's given Vinagre a 7 when several others have 8, despite him and others talking him up as MOTM.

Those ratings are nonsense as always from Tim I would go as follows,

Norris - 7
Deslandes - 5
Bennett - 6
Batth -7
Graham - 6
Vinagre - 8
Price - 7
Edwards - 4 (sorry he was useless missed several very short passes and offered nothing other than effort)
Cav - 7
Dicko - 5
Marshall - 4

Subs,

Ronan - 8 MOTM (could just as easily have been Vinagre)
Zyro - 7 (wasnt on long but looked strong and set up the goal)
Wilson - 6

Edwards wasn't that bad (and I am usually very critical). Deslandes certainly wasn't worse than bennett or Graham.

Those ratings are nonsense as always from Tim I would go as follows,

Norris - 7
Deslandes - 5
Bennett - 6
Batth -7
Graham - 6
Vinagre - 8
Price - 7
Edwards - 4 (sorry he was useless missed several very short passes and offered nothing other than effort)
Cav - 7
Dicko - 5
Marshall - 4

Subs,

Ronan - 8 MOTM (could just as easily have been Vinagre)
Zyro - 7 (wasnt on long but looked strong and set up the goal)
Wilson - 6

Would have given Deslandes a 6 as per Bennett as certainly was as good as him. Marshall, harsh with a 4 as he clearly wasn't match ready to play, but needed minutes in a game.

Vinagre was MoTM instead of Ronan purely as he did it for a full 90 rather than over 45, but have no problem with either

Back