• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Spurs 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

It may not be the aim but it's what has happened so far in the 3 games I've watched. It's a lot more pleasing on the eye than last year, even semi enjoyable but it's a bit like an Adama Traore run completely pointless as it very rarely ends in a goal.

We must have been watching different games then, but you're entitled to your own subjective take of course. I thought we showed a lot more attacking and penetrative intent than last season, just can't quite get it together in the final third right now.

I think 3 games, 2 of which are tough away fixtures, is way too early to get our knickers in a twist either way. Comparing the output of a player we've all watched for several seasons to the sample of those three games is not even remotely equivalent either.

We must have been watching different games then, but you're entitled to your own subjective take of course. I thought we showed a lot more attacking and penetrative intent than last season, just can't quite get it together in the final third right now.

I think 3 games, 2 of which are tough away fixtures, is way too early to get our knickers in a twist either way. Comparing the output of a player we've all watched for several seasons to the sample of those three games is not even remotely equivalent either.
How long do you give it?

How long do you give it?

I think the urgency depends on what improvements we see in terms of results and goalscoring.

There's a natural break after the City home game, but then again I don't think 8 games is much of a sample either (unless the wheels totally fall off)?

So I'd probably look at it after the WC break. He'd have had nearly half a season with new players and a new system then.

It’s very similar to last season, reliant on individual skill rather than cohesive tactics and plans. That’s on the guy in charge. Totally out of his depth.

It’s very similar to last season, reliant on individual skill rather than cohesive tactics and plans. That’s on the guy in charge. Totally out of his depth.
One more time for the folks in the back.

At what point does Neto become a worry? Other than a half hour cameo at Liverpool he's not looked anything like his old self. I don’t know if it's physical, mental or a bit of each but that's 3 pretty anonymous performances in a row now
yeah was a bit concerned by how he didn’t run at Davies/Perisic when he had the opportunity. Think he needs the run of games though

Don't think that's massively different from Nuno era football to be honest, other than results.

There was always a defensive plan back then but going forwards it was generally about getting Jota/Jimenez isolated against two centre halves on the break and seeing what they could do. Other times Traore became the threat on the counter but there was never great cohesive team attacking play. Nuno's Wolves often looked worst at their most dominant.

Don't think that's massively different from Nuno era football to be honest, other than results.

There was always a defensive plan back then but going forwards it was generally about getting Jota/Jimenez isolated against two centre halves on the break and seeing what they could do. Other times Traore became the threat on the counter but there was never great cohesive team attacking play. Nuno's Wolves often looked worst at their most dominant.

Once more for the rest of the folks at the back

We were very good at isolating players 1v1 in counter attacks I think for sure, and also had really good ball carriers like Diogo and Adama if we needed to dribble from deep too.

Now we are quite good at getting into the final third but apart from instances like RAN getting played in like Podence we really struggle to get into the box with the ball. And then we just shoot from ridiculous positions

Been trying to catch up on this thread but gave up several pages back so excuse me if I repeat what other folks have said.
A solid first half full of promise v a top six side. Wether it is a sign of things to come or a flash in the pan remains to be seen. Most people on here, I think, agreed that Lage was let down last season by not being backed. Well, purse strings have been loosened now so he won`t have that excuse any longer. He deserves, and will be given, more time. Doesn`t matter if we think he`s rubbish or not. I`m surprised by the negativity after yesterday`s game. We have three new signings to bed in and our number one striker coming back from injury who, incidentally, I think will get back to his old self with this new system and the benefit to having better players around him. He still needs competition for his place though. Getting back to the game yesterday, we were holding our own till we went down to ten men. I am not convinced with Lage but time will tell. Hope I`m not turning into a happyclapper.

It feels a bit like a cult— bruno can’t be criticised because he hasn’t got his own players / formation / time / fitness / etc. Maybe it’s just because he’s a bit crap.
Really? In the poll at the end of last season 94% voted for him to be sacked. Don't think that's changed much apart from a handful of people who think he should be given at least a few games with the new players coming in.
Whatever people on here think, he won't be sacked for a while yet. If we get a couple of wins he'll survive till the world Cup I would have thought.

It feels a bit like a cult— bruno can’t be criticised because he hasn’t got his own players / formation / time / fitness / etc. Maybe it’s just because he’s a bit crap.

Where has anyone said he can't be criticised? Everyone has been critical of him to some degree.

I'd turn it round and say there are a few people who act as if his departure is the answer to all our issues, which is a gross simplification.

I get that some people will never warm to him, he's a bit odd for my tastes actually, but the time to sack him and install someone else was the end of last season. Seems a bit odd and frankly destabilising to do so now after less than a handful of games and a recruitment drive with plenty of potential. If it all goes to shit over the next few months we revisit.

Would still prefer a manager who can win games but the new signings and the performances (at times) are a level above a lot of last season. Spurs are a very good team and we matched them across 90 minutes are were better in the first half. Neto, Guedes and Raul playing anywhere near their potential shoukd be scoring goals, the midfield trio of Neves, Nunes and Moutinho is as good as many in the league and Collins and Kilman look like they are a decent pairing. Not convinced by either full back so far…but I certainly don’t think this is a team in danger of relegation.

I enjoyed watching us play, I haven’t has that feeling for a while. I think we can improve but if we don’t Lage has no chance of making it to Christmas. He might not even make it to next month.

Where has anyone said he can't be criticised? Everyone has been critical of him to some degree.

I'd turn it round and say there are a few people who act as if his departure is the answer to all our issues, which is a gross simplification.

I get that some people will never warm to him, he's a bit odd for my tastes actually, but the time to sack him and install someone else was the end of last season. Seems a bit odd and frankly destabilising to do so now after less than a handful of games and a recruitment drive with plenty of potential. If it all goes to shit over the next few months we revisit.
I would ask what he’s done to earn that time?

Really? In the poll at the end of last season 94% voted for him to be sacked. Don't think that's changed much apart from a handful of people who think he should be given at least a few games with the new players coming in.
Whatever people on here think, he won't be sacked for a while yet. If we get a couple of wins he'll survive till the world Cup I would have thought.

I'm not sure. If we lose against newcastle and fail to beat Bournemouth I can't see any way he isn't sacked because the next 4 are incredibly difficult games.

The way Newcastle are playing so far this morning just shows our lack of attacking invention in sharp relief. On paper they aren’t more talented than we are but they look to have a plan that all of their players understand.

I'm not sure. If we lose against newcastle and fail to beat Bournemouth I can't see any way he isn't sacked because the next 4 are incredibly difficult games.
That's where I am. 1 point and 0 wins from 6 should be it for Bruno imo.

Back