• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

In the context of having a new manager and the clear deficiencies in the team, failing to sign anyone else would leave this as the worst window in recent times, which would really be saying something.

I'm guessing top class players don't see us as a progression to their career or we don't sell the club to them very well...combined with not wanting to overspend on players and wages.
There's no doubt in my mind we try to sign good players but we're way down the pecking order in the Premier league in terms of attractive clubs

I just don't buy this. Plenty of unglamorous sides outside the top 6/7 manage it.

If we acknowledge we're not a top class side in terms of how attractive we are and how much money we're willing to spend that's fine, but why constantly waste our time on deals that are out of our league? We do it window after window.

I can't believe that Bruno would have done all of his "3 or 4 top players" chat, if he hadn't been given such assurances. We're now only looking at 2 at best, and if they don't come off then it's a massive failing, and we'll be at the point where we're clearly making the same mistakes time and time again - either undervaluing our targets and the market, or overestimating how attractive we are. The failure to markedly improve at centre back and centre mid for 3 fucking years is absolutely outrageous for everybody involved

Get the CB and CM and he’s got what he wanted IMO.

agree it’s so poor if we don’t though. Particularly as they’ve confidently said things will happen at the end of the window. Will look so stupid if things don’t get done because they were too busy haggling

It really would be absolutely shit if we don't get any more in. He said 3/4 and we've signed 1 since. His comments weren't exactly glowing on Chan either, more just that he was a good player who'd just had a poor season but was good in Austria and the club like him, seemed to be saying he wasn't his choice to me.

I can’t see the point of changing a manager and not backing the new man. Wolves transfer dealings under Fosun have always been clouded in mystery but even by their standards , this window is bizarre. I will reserve judgement until 2301 but there needs to be some serious pulling out of fingers today.

I just don't buy this. Plenty of unglamorous sides outside the top 6/7 manage it.

If we acknowledge we're not a top class side in terms of how attractive we are and how much money we're willing to spend that's fine, but why constantly waste our time on deals that are out of our league? We do it window after window.
I'm interested to know which unglamorous teams have signed better players than what we have here atm.
I've no idea which players we try to sign, whether top class, second rate or otherwise...the club don't work that way....most players we're linked to are just by click bait twatter people

I can't see us not signing players as that would be another terrible window and the board not backing their new manager.

Shi would be coming under a lot of fire from the stands, particularly if results are slow to improve.
No laughing smiley on this one, YW?

Fair play.

I'm going to give it another 12 hours. If nothing changes then I agree with most of the critical comments, but I'll wait a bit until going there.

What I'm absolutely not having is we tried or we are happy with what we have got. 1 or 2 on here already setting themselves up to be placated

I can picture the club saying they’re happy if we don’t sign anyone and saying that keeping Traore and Neves means it was a good window or something like that. Surely no one would buy that though. 12 hours to go.

I'm interested to know which unglamorous teams have signed better players than what we have here atm.
I've no idea which players we try to sign, whether top class, second rate or otherwise...the club don't work that way....most players we're linked to are just by click bait twatter people
There's quite a list but just of the top of my head; Villa, Soton, Watford, Palace, Leeds and West Ham have all signed better than us this transfer window.

That excludes the big six. If we include them and Leicester that's 13 clubs.

That's a poor window no matter how you look at it.

I'm going to give it another 12 hours. If nothing changes then I agree with most of the critical comments, but I'll wait a bit until going there.

What I'm absolutely not having is we tried or we are happy with what we got. 1 or 2 on here already setting themselves up to be placated
You think we aren't trying?...don't think anyone will be happy if we don't sign a CB and CM.

What I'm absolutely not having is we tried or we are happy with what we have got. 1 or 2 on here already setting themselves up to be placated
Yeah, the club are going to have a really hard time justifying their strategy if nothing changes. Even signing Tosin (as steady a defender as he is) just doesn't fit with everything we've been told

There's quite a list but just of the top of my head; Villa, Soton, Watford, Palace, Leeds and West Ham have all signed better than us this transfer window.

If you say so, personally I've not seen many players going to those clubs that we would be ecstatic about.....BTW I think most none Wolves fans would see Villa and West Ham as bigger/ more attractive

If this is all we have then we'll have to manage, I guess.

I don't want to be negative for the sake of it, but Bruno needs more than gambles like Mosquera and Hwang to have a chance of making his mark this season. We knew at the end of last season that our CBs and CMs needed fresh blood, to leave it to the last day chasing elusive deals is a poor do.

Unless we pull a surprise or two out of the bag in the next 12 hours this all seems like a dispiritingly familiar window

A few caveats there, Villa and Southampton both sold their best player who they can't replace like-for-like (we haven't...at least not yet), Palace had to replace virtually a whole squad - and haven't done it, not in terms of numbers - and I'm not sure the others have done anything special. West Ham currently have one centre forward, for instance. I'm not sure I'd want a single Watford player, let alone anyone they've signed this summer. I didn't know you were the chairman of the Moussa Sissoko fan club :D

But yeah, if we don't sign anyone else then we've done poorly.

Back