• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

"The move for another Lille player, Sven Botman, broke down because Wolves’ substantial valuation was £5million short of the £30m the French club was seeking."

What the actual fuck?!! FFS.

This is the best written piece on the window I've seen. Doesn't go both boots in but lays out why the squad is short and the inadequacies in fixing that.

Also buried in there is the info that the club admitted that European FFP had nothing to do with the strategy as the period involved had past...who'd that thought that?

Also puts the correct balance on our 0-1 hammerings
that's a great article imo.
I also really liked the line re Lage, and that might go some way to cooling some of the hysteria that has been evident that Lage has been sold a pup and should walk etc.

It's not hard to draw a straight line there. Appoint someone who wouldn't have been even shortlisted for any other Premier League job. Then when you don't fill out the squad properly, he's not that likely to complain because where is he going to go?

That's not a dig at Bruno by the way. I quite like the fella. Assuming we do win/score at some point.

that's a great article imo.
I also really liked the line re Lage, and that might go some way to cooling some of the hysteria that has been evident that Lage has been sold a pup and should walk etc.
Interesting how people read things differently. The way I read it is he knows which side his bread is buttered

It's perfect for o Bruno isn't it? He gets us playing good football but results don't go our way he can say "wasn't my fault, I improved Wolves but the board didn't back me" or results do go our way he can say "imagine what I could do if the board backed me?".

Win/win for him imo.

The Sanches thing is strange, we had a deal lined up for an injured player but didn't check the state of the injury until the last two days of the window?

Its all a bit Moxey/Conor Washington for me.

I have no problem with not signing Sanches due to injury worries but like you say why did we not know the state of his injury before we tried to get him on deadline day? Bizarre. The Botman thing is just plain stupid, hopefully we get lucky and he ends up being shit for whoever he signs for but likely to be a massive what if moment for us

Pulling out of the Sanches deal was the right thing to do once the extent of the injury became clear. Question is why didn’t they know sooner? Even Paddington knew it was a bad injury and the deal was wrong FFS… 😜😂

The Botman one is just stupid though, IF he proves to be as good as forecast. Penny pinching over a potential top class player makes little sense.

Not going to pretend I know anything about Botman, I don't watch French football as it's shit. But you either want a player or you don't.

Transfermarkt even know that Sanches was injured. But the timeline is 6-8 weeks. If he’s available for then, then we still should have done the deal IMO. Playing in mid October is fine. We haven’t got that many games between then and now. But instead we’re going to have to go through a busy winter with only 3 midfielders. And you know full well we won’t do a deal until the end of January (unless it’s actually a crisis), so that’s potentially 3.5 months lost.

If he’s actually out until mid November then fair enough, right to walk away. Can’t be paying massive wages for no reason and the longer he’s injured his value drops. Time will tell.

As for Botman, if you want him and think he’s the guy then you pay the money? It wasn’t like they were asking for £50m. We’re asking for that sort of figure for a 25 year old forward who can’t score, but don’t want to pay half that on a promising young player who has already won a title. He may go on to become another Dias, he may continue as a top half player. Even if he only becomes a James Tarkowski or Lewis Dunk then £30m is still a good investment. Yes you might not be able to flog him for top dollar but if he’s your CB for 10 years then he pays for himself.

"The move for another Lille player, Sven Botman, broke down because Wolves’ substantial valuation was £5million short of the £30m the French club was seeking."

What the actual fuck?!! FFS.

It's comments like that, if true, that will rile the Fabio Silva doubters up even more.
Both full of potential, but Botman has been a regular for two domestic top flight seasons now, once in Holland and now once in France.

I'm really disappointed about Botman but I think the failure to get a CM in, whether it be Sanches or someone else is the biggest fuck up I can remember since Fosun got here.

It's not unrealistic that we could be left with Dendonker as our only senior CM if Neves is sold and Moutinho decides on a swan song back in Protgual. No way are we getting 3 midfielders of similar quality to them in one window (to give us the 4 we really should have) and even if we do that means we won't have any money left to strengthen the rest of the team.

Such a huge huge fuck up.

As usual, for me Phillips is the best journalist and especially for Wolves stuff....all the details, critical but no real mad vitriol.
Hopefully we will learn from the mistakes, maybe employ someone who understands football recruitment?
I just want to get on with the football now.....bloody internationals

I'm foolishly optimistic we'll do good business in January, but realistically I think all we'll do is recall MGW

I'm foolishly optimistic we'll do good business in January

Oh mate, i think the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy" :)

However, i think getting Adama to sign a contract will be a big sign of intent from Wolves, i've felt really down about Wolves this last week or so (partly due to the absence of Kenny). Adama signing a new deal would really pep me up.

As said prior, Shi lying to fans, or being incompetent in that "Ask Wolves" thing is really troubling.

Back