• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I'm pretty sure Casange and Fofana are only playing so much due to injuries to Soyuncu and James justin / Peryera
Castagne started the season at left back ahead of Justin didn't he? Then he switched to the right when Pereira got injured I think.

Pereira was out from last season with an ACL. Castsgne RB/RWB Justin on the opposite side.

Castagne was injured and Pereira got back in. Justin then got injured so Castagne moved to the left and Pereira in on the right.

But they also didn’t directly replace Kante not successfully anyway.

same with Mahrez really?

whereas with Maguire, they had Soyuncu waiting in the wings. Which seems the sensible approach. The Red Bull approach if you like

Signed Ndidi the window after they sold Kante.
Less than 5 years after winning the league, only 2 of that side is still in their first 11 and only Barnes has come through their academy

Less than 5 years after winning the league, only 2 of that side is still in their first 11 and only Barnes has come through their academy
I wouldn’t give two shits if we sold our best players and bought replacements of the quality Leicester have the year after wolves won the league tbf. It’s a model we still aspire too

They've changed their shape and the way they play since the Kante/Ndidi swap though. The latter looked a really poor replacement like for like but he's superb now in a more withdrawn role with less onus on what he does with the ball.

Yeah and Ndidi was very young and they had to be patient with him to be the level of player he is now!

I wouldn't begrudge Neves a move. He's done his time here - joined when we were in the Championship (leaving a club in the Champions League), stayed a lot longer than most people expected (I seem to recall a lot of posters on here who had convinced themselves he was off after one season), was a massive part of the side that took us to 2 x 7th placed finishes, a Europa league quarter final and an FA Cup semi final.

Then on a personal level, it says a huge amount about the guy that he stayed here and played through a difficult period both on and off the pitch, when his wife had literally given birth to his baby son. De Gea was off back to Spain as quickly as possible in the same situation, but Ruben watched the birth on his phone travelling back from a game and then carried on playing after that.

If we get £45m+ for him (which we should), I would be gutted to see him go but would wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

What *does* concern me is our ability to use that £45m to reinvest back in the squad. It's been a long time since we've been blown away by a signing.

Oh, and unless he absolutely does not want to be here, I would keep Mir. Based on his performances this season, he seems to have really picked his game up. Raul/Silva/Mir with a top quality addition in the 10/wide position would be perfect. Then we can focus on spending £ in defence.

It's been a long time since we've been blown away by a signing.
Well the biggest player we have signed recently, Neto was classed as us doing Mendes a favour as he moved money around Europe so I guess its down to what fans are looking for in terms of signings. A name that gives an instant injection of thinking, yep nailed it with this signing or letting the player show over a period of time they are actually decent.
Who knows, we could be sat here next April getting worried as the media are linking Vits and RAN with big money summer moves and asking when Otasowie will get a run in the team...

Well the biggest player we have signed recently, Neto was classed as us doing Mendes a favour as he moved money around Europe so I guess its down to what fans are looking for in terms of signings. A name that gives an instant injection of thinking, yep nailed it with this signing or letting the player show over a period of time they are actually decent.
Who knows, we could be sat here next April getting worried as the media are linking Vits and RAN with big money summer moves and asking when Otasowie will get a run in the team...
Well I think a lot of people were impressed with the Semedo signing. It's taken him a while to get going but we're starting to see some better performances now, even if he has the odd shocker defensively.

Perhaps I should re-phrase my comment and say it's been a while since a new signing has come in and made a huge difference on the pitch. Your Neto example probably being the one that springs to mind, but even then it was a season after we signed him that he really started to kick on. If we lose Neves in the next window, whoever we bring in will need to step up instantly, and it's been a while since we had one of those.

Spiers now going with minimal net spend this Summer. Says nobody is up for sale, but everyone has their price

Just about every club from Leeds downward has a big summer ahead. I don’t think it’s a case on just pressing the reset button after this season is over. With current injuries we’ll only Jimenez back in time for the start of next season.

Tomas Suslav anyone?

Saw that link - seems to have a decent left foot on him.

2 goals and 5 assists in equivalent of 13.5 games at 18 is pretty decent, regardless of the level.

I think we should try for Maitland Niles. He looks decent.

I think we should try for Maitland Niles. He looks decent.
where would you play him Dino? Albion have him as part of a battling midfield 2, very much in an Allardyce kind of way ahead of more technical players like Gallagher and Sawyers. Nuno won't play with one of those let alone 2, irrespective of whether you think he should

I'd be disappointed if in our search for a new midfielder we went for Maitland-Niles. As a wing-back I was on board with the idea in the summer. I guess I haven't seen enough of him as a midfielder but not sure he has the quality in that role to help us push towards where we want to be

With the injury to Jonny is there a role for him as cover for both wingbacks (fullbacks?) and an occasional jaunt into midfield as a DM?

Back