• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I'm not overly fussed by Rui going to be honest. He was very good in 19/20 but was a shadow of that last season.The fee is decent enough for someone of his age with only a year remaining on his deal, we knock 100k a week off the wage bill and he gets to spend the last few years of his career in a spectacular city.

I have reservations about Sa as a replacement, but then Mendes is gonna Mendes.

I'm not overly fussed by Rui going to be honest. He was very good in 19/20 but was a shadow of that last season.The fee is decent enough for someone of his age with only a year remaining on his deal, we knock 100k a week off the wage bill and he gets to spend the last few years of his career in a spectacular city.

I have reservations about Sa as a replacement, but then Mendes is gonna Mendes.
Yep, this is my thoughts too.

I dunno, I think it's always going to be this way with Fosun, more so with a change of manager.

I find it difficult to not form attachments with players but they are ultimately commodities and are traded as such.

I'm happy to stand up here, ready to be stoned and say Sa will be a decent solid keeper for us.

If I have got that wrong, well I will shout abuse at Jeff through his kitchen window or just do a Boris Johnson and deny ever saying it despite the proof I did

I'm happy to stand up here, ready to be stoned and say Sa will be a decent solid keeper for us.

If I have got that wrong, well I will shout abuse at Jeff through his kitchen window or just do a Boris Johnson and deny ever saying it despite the proof I did
think you will be right. He's not Lonergan of course but he seems to command his area, which Rui wasn't great at (despite his undoubted shot stopping ability). Sa may fit in well if we're going to be pushing forward rather than having seven players in or on the edge of our penalty area even when on the attack.

If someone said to you six months ago (and some of this is speculative, I admit) we'd swap:

Nuno, Rui, Neves and Adama

for

Lage, Sa, Palhinha and Trincao

And then we'll charge you more money to watch it, because we can.

Who is signing up for that?

If someone said to you six months ago (and some of this is speculative, I admit) we'd swap:

Nuno, Rui, Neves and Adama

for

Lage, Sa, Palhinha and Trincao

And then we'll charge you more money to watch it, because we can.

Who is signing up for that?
Probably 90% of fans...

The club have a unique window right now. A normal life and no being locked out of the ground for 18 months and things would be very different, so this summer they have people just desperate to be back in the Stadium.

Also, quick look on SM and Rui going is generally seen as a positive and Neves to Palhinha is also getting more positive than negative comments. Essentially 18 months of being denied normal life has fucked everyone up.

Reflexes don't look too bad either and a few penalty saves in the video. The saves at about 53secs and the one at 2:23 were pretty good.

I hate the term 'commanding his area'. It's one of the things people talk about that doesn't really mean anything like not being beaten at your near post. You can't command your area as it has opposition players in it, it's not a keepers job to instruct defenders on who to mark or what zones to take up, assist in that and use your view to communicate yes, but that doesn't require shouting though which seems to be equated to being in charge. Challenging for aerial balls and being physical when doing so is something I think people actually mean?

Rui has improved at that but some of his seeming reluctance to challenge for crosses is caused by the 3 at the back with a sweeper system meaning the keeper is deeper.

If it turns out this is 12 million with at least 3 of that going to Mendes, and then the new keeper is 9+ I will have some hesitations about it. This is really one we need to get right.

I'm not desperate to be back for a shitshow, to be honest. I don't like a lot of what we're doing,

If you'd asked me six months ago, I'd have been so disillusioned with the dismal quality of the football that we'd been served up for months that I'd have gone with just about anything.

It's like we don't seem to realise how Charlton we could be.

I'm not desperate to be back for a shitshow, to be honest. I don't like a lot of what we're doing,
I think on this, you are in the minority (a TWF classic stance)

I'm going back, not 100% happy with things and my gut feeling isn't good on how things will pan out but I am wrong more than right so what do I know. I'm going back and paying slightly more as walking into the ground again will be fooking amazing as will walking in to the London or wherever and seeing folk who last had the annoyance of meeting me in March 2020.

Well, I've got two and a bit weeks to make my mind up, haven't I.

There are a lot of things to dislike at the moment.

I'm not overly fussed by Rui going to be honest. He was very good in 19/20 but was a shadow of that last season.
I'm also not too fussed about him leaving. It's not just a new goalkeeper, we've also got a new goalkeeper coach. We could have kept Rui, but he may have been trained totally different to that under Nuno and his team. Hopefully Sa will settle in well, we can only wait and see.

I'm also not too fussed about him leaving. It's not just a new goalkeeper, we've also got a new goalkeeper coach. We could have kept Rui, but he may have been trained totally different to that under Nuno and his team. Hopefully Sa will settle in well, we can only wait and see.
Do we know who our GK coach is now?

Do we know who our GK coach is now?
There was someone doing the keeping coaching on one of the clips Wolves released the other day. Think it was Roberts (not 100% though)

Presume we are waiting for the final coaches to clear isolation/quarantine before announcing them all in one go

Fuck me, I am fed up with all this negativity. We were bloody awful to watch last season. Rui was one of the worst keepers in the PL on stats.

I'm looking forward to Lageball, to Trincao, to whoever else comes in and to scoring in the first half.

Someone offered £30 at 3.6 on Betfair for Wolves to finish in the top half. I took it all

Fuck me, I am fed up with all this negativity. We were bloody awful to watch last season. Rui was one of the worst keepers in the PL on stats.

I'm looking forward to Lageball, to Trincao, to whoever else comes in and to scoring in the first half.

Someone offered £30 at 3.6 on Betfair for Wolves to finish in the top half. I took it all

'Negativity' and glass half empty takes are definitely tolerated on TWF now more than at any time I can remember.

I'm all for it, people should be able to call it as they see it, but such a cultural 180 does leave a wry smile on my face...

Last edited:
Back