• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

another boiler query!
boiler has started giving a fault warning when the heating goes on. It'll heat the system for about 20 mins, or half an hour, then cuts out. Still have hot water fine, but the warning is that it's a burner ignition issue.
The thing is obviously working, but will a service get things running smoothly again (as it could just be the trap needs emptying/cleaning), or is this something I need an engineer to come out and fix?
I'm confused, as the water is still being heated.
It's a ferolli boiler fwiw. Previous owner installed it, I suspect around 10 years ago.
Hoping the issue isn't terminal...

edit as per DW's recent query, I am a novice with this stuff, so more am trying to gauge the severity of the repair bill and avoid being ripped off, more than expecting to fix it myself...

If it's igniting for the hot water that sounds more like a sensor that an ignition issue, I would have thought. There is enough water in the heating system isn't there?

caveat, I am not a heating engineer by any stretch :)

as far as I can tell. pressure is between 1.5-2. All the radiators are full.
we did recently change the shower tap. That wouldn't cause a problem would it?

No mate not at all, the heating system is a sealed system unless you mess with radiators or the boiler you're fine

Might be time related - if you run your hot water for 20mins it might cut out too.

Either way if it indicates burner issue get it checked asap.

Heating behaving erratically​

By ‘erratically’, I mean that your heating either isn’t coming on at the time you’ve set, or just coming on at random times that seem completely out of your control and make little sense (think 3am).

The Fix: The cheap mechanical timers that were often installed in Ferroli boilers tend to be very flimsy and often break if someone tries to turn the timer back. It should be fairly simple to replace the programmer.

Boiler not firing/Going into lock-out​

If your boiler is failing to fire up and just going into lock-out, it could be a problem with the PCB (printed circuit board), but you can check this by testing with a vault meter to see if electricity is reaching the PCB whilst still remaining unresponsive.

The Fix: Often, the only solution here is to have the PCB replaced, which can be costly.

Ferolli sounds likes an Italian make - from my experience the replacement parts on those are so expensive (had one, though not that make when I moved in here) that a new boiler made more sense.

As Paul says worth looking at whether it is a lower cost plug in item before deciding (mine wasn't so replaced it)

Anyone here who is or has recently been receiving Universal Credit?

I've had 3 texts through today that says "184743 is your Universal Credit Code" - All different numbers and not the number I've just typed.

I'm not receiving any benefits, so is this a code someone else might desperately be waiting for?

Anyone here who is or has recently been receiving Universal Credit?

I've had 3 texts through today that says "184743 is your Universal Credit Code" - All different numbers and not the number I've just typed.

I'm not receiving any benefits, so is this a code someone else might desperately be waiting for?
Aaah my new field of expertise :) Universal credit uses a 6 digit verification system to log on, it sounds like somebody has cocked up the phone number on their registration, if it doesn't come through to your phone you can press a button to resend, which it sounds like someone is doing as the number changes every time,

Ah, so as it hasn't happened in a couple of hours, I'm assuming they've figured it out!

Cheers Paul, you're my best friend.

Anyone got a ring.com doorbell?

Are they any good and are they easy to install?
thought I read this week you have to be careful with the screws, as a couple have overheated/caught fire owing to an over long screw affecting the electrics

Honestly mate, now I've seen the price of the one I want, the whole thing is on pause until the new year!

OK a bit different but....I am 68 next month, and my finger nails have started growing at formula one pace, plus, apart from my reading glasses, my eyesight is getting better without distance glasses than with.... Anyone else among you old fuckers having the same experience????

OK a bit different but....I am 68 next month, and my finger nails have started growing at formula one pace, plus, apart from my reading glasses, my eyesight is getting better without distance glasses than with.... Anyone else among you old fuckers having the same experience????
Fingernails no - but eyesight yes to the point that unless I need to go out, drive or watch TV most of the time I don't bother with glasses & seeing as how I am shortsighted & worn glasses since I was 12 then its a novelty.

I know mine is caused by the start of cataracts (not a real problem for a few years, but will be at some point) - my optician has confirmed that this will improve my short term vision for a while then start deteriorating again. Worth having that checked out.

Let me know when it's time for a Christmas Thread.... 😜

Fingernails no - but eyesight yes to the point that unless I need to go out, drive or watch TV most of the time I don't bother with glasses & seeing as how I am shortsighted & worn glasses since I was 12 then its a novelty.

I know mine is caused by the start of cataracts (not a real problem for a few years, but will be at some point) - my optician has confirmed that this will improve my short term vision for a while then start deteriorating again. Worth having that checked out.
Wow thanks parky, and here was me thinking i was regenerating, I might be my hair has stopped going backwards off my forehead too.

Does anyone have an Amazon Echo Show? Thinking of getting one for our kitchen so we can follow recipes on screen, or watch stuff whilst cooking but wanted to check what does/doesn't work with it.

Back