• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

We got them for our kids last Christmas. They work well enough - if it were me I would probably just get one of the cheap Amazon tablets instead though. Similar price and more functional.

We don't want to use them like tablets - just as a music player and a screen to use whilst in the kitchen.

We've had an Echo in there for ages and it's really useful but when we move we want another as the Echo will go in the living room. Thought it'd be useful to get the Show as opposed to another Echo for the recipe thing as well as being integrated with Prime Video.

I assume it can play music whilst you use the screen for other things?

That's the inner geek in me - nice touchscreen tablet in a semi-permenant mount flat on a drop down bracket from under the cupboards :)

My eldest 'reliably' informs me the yes you can listen to Spotify while doing other stuff on the screen. Sound quality is apparently a bit 'rubbish', though I think he's only saying that as he wants to nick one of my Sonos

Ha - that's an idea, a Sonos in the kitchen...

The sound quality on the Echo is excellent but I'm not too fussed if it's just for the kitchen tbh.

Cheers for the info!

another boiler query!
boiler has started giving a fault warning when the heating goes on. It'll heat the system for about 20 mins, or half an hour, then cuts out. Still have hot water fine, but the warning is that it's a burner ignition issue.
The thing is obviously working, but will a service get things running smoothly again (as it could just be the trap needs emptying/cleaning), or is this something I need an engineer to come out and fix?
I'm confused, as the water is still being heated.
It's a ferolli boiler fwiw. Previous owner installed it, I suspect around 10 years ago.
Hoping the issue isn't terminal...

edit as per DW's recent query, I am a novice with this stuff, so more am trying to gauge the severity of the repair bill and avoid being ripped off, more than expecting to fix it myself...
so having had an engineer round, he's stumped! He did a service but is debating whether it is the PCB.
He's going to speak with ferolli tech support tomorrow, and might need to come back and speak with them whilst in front of the boiler doing tests.
So now, the debate is whether we chance a repair, or replace the boiler :(

Cheapest option would probably be the Damart Quilted Housecoat - I kid you not, it is a thing.
2C81DDB6-B347-4252-8C1A-81281BFB296B.jpeg

You're just proving that I wasn't as wrong in the old thread y'know...

Ok, try not to take the piss too much........
i have a thing called Plantar Faciitis, had it about 10 years ago but managed to get rid with exercises and insoles. Came back earlier this year and can't shift it, tried the exercises, different insoles and had a steroid injection a month ago.
Here comes the dodgy bit......Reflexology, just quack medicine, does it work? Anybody tried it?

i have a thing called Plantar Faciitis, had it about 10 years ago but managed to get rid with exercises and insoles. Came back earlier this year and can't shift it, tried the exercises, different insoles and had a steroid injection a month ago.
Here comes the dodgy bit......Reflexology, just quack medicine, does it work? Anybody tried it?
Is that the heel pain thing? I get it when I’m inactive, goes when I exercise more. Proper weird as you’d think it would be the other way round.

My view, if you can afford to give it a go then try it out. There's no danger associated so it's worth trying. I know a few people who've tried it, mostly positive reports.

I've had a minor bout of Plantar Faciitis (from running too much), so I've got an inkling of your discomfort.

Is that the heel pain thing? I get it when I’m inactive, goes when I exercise more. Proper weird as you’d think it would be the other way round.
No, it's in the sole of your foot in the main. Like walking on broken glass is how somebody described it to me once.

Not sure on reflexology but have you tried acupuncture?

There's a fair amount of science to say it works and equally as much to say it doesn't.

I've had it for my knees and can say it worked for me.

While I'm a bit sceptical about many treatments, I'll give anything a try. The woman that offered it is charging 30 quid for 3 half hour sessions.
the problem is caused by the 'Plantar' think its a muscle, it runs along the sole of your foot, the pain however shows up in your heel, it is like having a sharp object jabbed in your foot, its weird cos it hurts wile you're walking on it but it hurts more after you've sat down for a bit.
Mine is almost certainly caused by work, 45 years on my feet up to 12 hours a day on concrete floors with heavy work boots. The doctor suggested it will only get better with rest and seeing ad I'm now retired, I'm going to do my best to keep off it up till xmas, if its no better then I'll try the reflexology or acupuncture route

Have you tried rolling your feet with a lacrosse ball?

I've had mild symptoms before as a result of rugby and training and its definitely helped rolling my feet.

Have you tried rolling your feet with a lacrosse ball?

I've had mild symptoms before as a result of rugby and training and its definitely helped rolling my feet.
I haven't, do you mean rolling your foot over the top of the ball? Does it have to be a Lacrosse ball or will any small ball do?

I have a lacrosse ball I picked up for a few quid on amazon, I have that under my desk and use it too massage my feet on zoom calls!

Any hardish ball should work though

mrs jelly had similar a few years ago.
the steroid injection, combined with rolling a tin under her foot (similar to the lacrosse ball mentioned above) has meant she's had no issues for a long time.

mrs jelly had similar a few years ago.
the steroid injection, combined with rolling a tin under her foot (similar to the lacrosse ball mentioned above) has meant she's had no issues for a long time.
Think I'll give the ball/tin/something hard and round thing a go

I haven't, do you mean rolling your foot over the top of the ball? Does it have to be a Lacrosse ball or will any small ball do?
Doesn't have to be a ball but I would recommend one, it means you can really dig around with different angles

Something like this - it's just good for general foot health as well too be fair

Back