• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

We've never had any issue with our standard issue Virgin router, sits right in the corner against the front wall of the house hidden away and we can still just about get a signal out in the back garden even through all the old solid walls of our house.

Our TalkTalk router is the business, loads better than the previous shite I've had. SAGEMCOM 5364.

Depends how big your house is I think - I ran a wire because even the best wifi system can be flaky if you there is too much congestion.

A wifi mesh system can also help - the BT Whole Home one is good (works with all providers too)

Always worth trying to change the WiFi channel too - if everyone on the same street as you is set exactly the same then it can get clogged up.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Are you just looking for better WiFi coverage upstairs, or do you have devices that can be "wired" connections via Homeplugs?

You can also get Homeplugs that act as WiFi repeaters but they work on a different WiFi SSID (what it's called when you search for it) and the switching isn't automatic. You can get automatic ones but they are expensive, which is why it's better to go the wired Homeplugs route if possible.

Anyone got their own vehicle charging point installed at home?

Opted for a PHEV from work for my next car and they're offering an deal where you can have a home charger installed for free, as long as you don't need anything beyond a bog standard install, but I don't like the aesthetics of the brand that my employer has done this deal with so I'm going to explore other options. Don't really know all that much about them to be honest so just wondered if anyone had any experience with them or knew of any useful features to look out for, I'm looking for something as discreet as possible as it's not really in keeping with our house but don't want to do so at too much detriment to functionality.

Bit annoying the way they've done it really, they've ditched our private fuel scheme on hybrid/electric because apparently it's too much of a faff for them to work out how the tax works compared to standard ICE powered vehicles. So it's in my best interests now to maximise the electric side and minimise fuel costs as a result, they have installed some charging points at the office but apparently they're going to charge to use them so charging at home is my last resort now. Might barely be any better off than if I'd just stayed with ICE and the fuel scheme in the end but nothing on that part of the list was in any way interesting.

Anyone got their own vehicle charging point installed at home?

Opted for a PHEV from work for my next car and they're offering an deal where you can have a home charger installed for free, as long as you don't need anything beyond a bog standard install, but I don't like the aesthetics of the brand that my employer has done this deal with so I'm going to explore other options. Don't really know all that much about them to be honest so just wondered if anyone had any experience with them or knew of any useful features to look out for, I'm looking for something as discreet as possible as it's not really in keeping with our house but don't want to do so at too much detriment to functionality.

Bit annoying the way they've done it really, they've ditched our private fuel scheme on hybrid/electric because apparently it's too much of a faff for them to work out how the tax works compared to standard ICE powered vehicles. So it's in my best interests now to maximise the electric side and minimise fuel costs as a result, they have installed some charging points at the office but apparently they're going to charge to use them so charging at home is my last resort now. Might barely be any better off than if I'd just stayed with ICE and the fuel scheme in the end but nothing on that part of the list was in any way interesting.
No advice from me really, but interested to hear what you get in the end - we have solar panels and I'm really keen to see how I can use as much of the energy generated as possible, charging a car would be a superb way of doing this.

Is this job what I think it is ?

"A brand-new role, Referral Line Team Manager, has been created to lead a small team who are accountable for lead generation and the proactive management of Voyage Care's referral pipeline."

No advice from me really, but interested to hear what you get in the end - we have solar panels and I'm really keen to see how I can use as much of the energy generated as possible, charging a car would be a superb way of doing this.
We've had a Pod Point home charger for nearly 3 years now. I'm not sure if any of my advice is useful: we got it purely as it was free with the PEV we got and, well, it's worked perfectly well ever since. Not the most discrete bit of kit, but I don;t mind it. Very happy to add detail if it helps and you have some specific questions :) What I would be interested in is if anyone has any advice or experience of hooking this up to solar panels. We've been unable to do that despite having trusted sparkys on the job, but logic says it should all work out. Perhaps battery tech (and cost) have improved in the last couple of years - that seems to be the key (to this layman).

As an aside having an EV has been excellent. The only dodgy moment was getting home from the Bournemouth home match when conditions conspired to reduce range by the greatest possible amount. Jeez that was some miserable weather for footy!

We've had a Pod Point home charger for nearly 3 years now. I'm not sure if any of my advice is useful: we got it purely as it was free with the PEV we got and, well, it's worked perfectly well ever since. Not the most discrete bit of kit, but I don;t mind it. Very happy to add detail if it helps and you have some specific questions :) What I would be interested in is if anyone has any advice or experience of hooking this up to solar panels. We've been unable to do that despite having trusted sparkys on the job, but logic says it should all work out. Perhaps battery tech (and cost) have improved in the last couple of years - that seems to be the key (to this layman).

As an aside having an EV has been excellent. The only dodgy moment was getting home from the Bournemouth home match when conditions conspired to reduce range by the greatest possible amount. Jeez that was some miserable weather for footy!
Does the EV charger come off the circuit after your electricity meter? Solar panels go the same side and basically anything you can use which is less than the panels generate is free electricity (for some stupid reason the Uk didn’t / doesn’t allow twin element electricity so most household feed in tariff generation is just estimated based on weather and number of panels).

Currently I do it manually (it’s sunny therefore put on dishwasher), but you could do it a lot better with a simple sensor on the meter to say whether you are exporting or generating - if generating switch on charger.

I’ve clearly thought about this way too much... :)

Cold call team leader.
Does the job title even make sense? A referrals something you can be proactive with? Do you phone customers and ask them for their mates numbers?

I did a cold call job selling kitchens, or getting appointments and I only lasted a week. I heard more foul language than in a conversation with Paddy.

Does the EV charger come off the circuit after your electricity meter? Solar panels go the same side and basically anything you can use which is less than the panels generate is free electricity (for some stupid reason the Uk didn’t / doesn’t allow twin element electricity so most household feed in tariff generation is just estimated based on weather and number of panels).

Currently I do it manually (it’s sunny therefore put on dishwasher), but you could do it a lot better with a simple sensor on the meter to say whether you are exporting or generating - if generating switch on charger.

I’ve clearly thought about this way too much... :)
On the contrary, it sounds like you've given it much more appropriate thought than I have! So yep, the charger is post meter. Putting my general dismay about my feed-in-tariff to one side (late adopters on the pittance rate) I'm pretty certain we're not using the electricity generated efficiently at all, using 'free' power only to heat water. I think I need to get the electricians back in...

On the contrary, it sounds like you've given it much more appropriate thought than I have! So yep, the charger is post meter. Putting my general dismay about my feed-in-tariff to one side (late adopters on the pittance rate) I'm pretty certain we're not using the electricity generated efficiently at all, using 'free' power only to heat water. I think I need to get the electricians back in...
Tesla powerwall would be the ideal solution, just need a few spare £ks.

If the charger ran off a normal spured socket you could enable / disable easily using an IFTTT compatible adaptor and an opto sensor on the meter. Might need a bit of tinkering.

Car buying advice!

I got a pcp agreement three years ago, as I like the fact I pay monthly and have no unexpected repair fees jumping out at me (got clobbered a couple of times previously). At the time, I went to a couple of dealerships on the last day of March and selected what I considered to be the best deal as they tried to get rid of cars before the new reg’s.

Got a Nissan pulsar, it’s been good - I’m not a massive car guy, I like something that gets me from a to b without issues.

now the pcp is ending (on April 1st), nissan have offered me a £3,500 deposit contribution on one of their cars as a “loyalty offer” before the end of March

if anyone’s any good with new car buying -

1) is the £3,500 loyalty deposit contribution any good?
2) do the dealerships actually do really good deals the day before new reg’s (if you’re relaxed about what brand has some left)
3) any advice or tips?

thanks!!

Back