• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Can't help much but I did hear that car sales are on their arse so far this year so I'd imagine they are desperate for your custom

Are you looking for something similar in size? They're discontinued the Pulsar over here which leaves you with a Micra (they're smart now but change the fecking name), Juke (new model looks much better than the previous horror show) , or a Quashqai which is a fair leap in size if you're sticking with Nissan

3.5k is a pretty good offering if you're looking at a car around the 20k mark although ultimately you're looking at one of the above.

Take a look at Car Wow and Drive the Deal. I got 25% off a new Ibiza via Drive the Deal that a dealer couldn't get anywhere near.

Does the EV charger come off the circuit after your electricity meter? Solar panels go the same side and basically anything you can use which is less than the panels generate is free electricity (for some stupid reason the Uk didn’t / doesn’t allow twin element electricity so most household feed in tariff generation is just estimated based on weather and number of panels).

Currently I do it manually (it’s sunny therefore put on dishwasher), but you could do it a lot better with a simple sensor on the meter to say whether you are exporting or generating - if generating switch on charger.

I’ve clearly thought about this way too much... :)
Check out things from ZAPPI, they sense when power is going back to the grid so you use it to heat water, charge cars but only when you have excess electricity being generated

Check out things from ZAPPI, they sense when power is going back to the grid so you use it to heat water, charge cars but only when you have excess electricity being generated
‘Sense’ grrrr. I spent 5 years working in metering, it’s probably some crappy current clamp.

There’s definitely a decent business there though for maximising use of self-generation - all the tech is there now.

‘Sense’ grrrr. I spent 5 years working in metering, it’s probably some crappy current clamp.

There’s definitely a decent business there though for maximising use of self-generation - all the tech is there now.
I don't know the proper name for it but there is something that goes on the main wire into the house that detects electricity flowing back onto the grid, and when it does it switches on our immersion to consume the same amount of excess (i.e. in/out is around 0)

It works pretty well for us and means from end of Feb onwards we don't use any gas to heat the hot water (we have an old school hot water tank).

I don't know the proper name for it but there is something that goes on the main wire into the house that detects electricity flowing back onto the grid, and when it does it switches on our immersion to consume the same amount of excess (i.e. in/out is around 0)

It works pretty well for us and means from end of Feb onwards we don't use any gas to heat the hot water (we have an old school hot water tank).
Aye, they work well enough to detect direction of current - not worth much if they claim to measure energy though.

I almost wish we still had an old style tank - it’s really annoying when I’m send electricity back and can’t use it.

Are you looking for something similar in size? They're discontinued the Pulsar over here which leaves you with a Micra (they're smart now but change the fecking name), Juke (new model looks much better than the previous horror show) , or a Quashqai which is a fair leap in size if you're sticking with Nissan

3.5k is a pretty good offering if you're looking at a car around the 20k mark although ultimately you're looking at one of the above.

Take a look at Car Wow and Drive the Deal. I got 25% off a new Ibiza via Drive the Deal that a dealer couldn't get anywhere near.
Qashqai is the likeliest - I’ll have a look at car wow, thanks 👍

Aye, they work well enough to detect direction of current - not worth much if they claim to measure energy though.

I almost wish we still had an old style tank - it’s really annoying when I’m send electricity back and can’t use it.
Are you with octopus energy? At least you can get paid for it.

Depending on your usage a battery might be worth looking into

Are you with octopus energy? At least you can get paid for it.

Depending on your usage a battery might be worth looking into
Nah, got my panels for free as the installer takes the FiT. I get to use as much generated energy as I can.

Power wall it is! RoI is a bit tricky though.

I've heard a lot of EV owners swear by Octopus' Agile tariff, though you have to be flexible when you can charge.

Qashqai is the likeliest - I’ll have a look at car wow, thanks 👍
Looks like you should be able to pick up the Acenta Premium model for around 20k through CarWow - 5k or so off list price.

Qashqai's are just so UGLY!

Don't think the Qashqai has ever been particularly 'out there' with it's design to be considered ugly as such, the Juke on the other hand is a much more acquired taste.

Ah yes, that's the one... As you were with the Qashqai HW 🤣

The Juke and Duster are the ugliest ones out there.

Again I think that's harsh on the Duster, it's too bland to really cause enough offence to be considered ugly, unless you decide to get it in bright orange like one of our tightest QS.

I view my Mini in an increasingly bad light now after over 4 years with it, still very nice to drive but familiarity definitely breeding some contempt towards it's looks now, but then I've gone and ordered another one, albeit a different model, as a replacement so I can't be that put off.

Back