• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (2019 version) - 1970 - present

Patricio
Murray
Ruddy

It hurts to put Murray below Patricio, but too much of what I think about Murray was potential, whereas Patricio is already a full package.

Matt Murray
Rui Patricio
John Ruddy

Very close between the top two, and very close between Ruddy & Stowell for 3rd place.

John Ruddy

giphy.gif

Murray
Patricio
Ruddy

Patricio is a top quality keeper but Murray in his prime (although short) was ridiculous. That first season under Mick, he got us into the play offs. Commanding of his area was superb as well. Took so much pressure of the defence.

Flowers
Patricio
Murray

Going much more old school with Tim Flowers, always felt sorry for him, class keeper in an absolutely appalling side.

Murray
Rui
Ruddy

In two years time, I expect the top two will be reversed but just going on my live watching experiences, Murray was exceptional, possibly more eye-catching because he had so much more work to do in a game.

Matt Murray is the only keeper except Peter Schmeichel who I used to favour whenever an opponent was 1-on-1 with him. And I never got nervous when we conceded a corner, because his command of his area was ridiculous.

The 'potential' argument is one thing, but he was already fucking awesome despite playing less than 100 times, and being so young. So cruel that injuries robbed him of what would have been a trophy-laden career.

Murray
Patricio
Stowell

Murray was simply amazing when he did play. Anyone criticising his distribution look at his throw to newton in the fa cup game v newcastle.

Henessey doesn't get in not because he's a cunt, but because of the lack of professionalism/team ethic such as an onfield spat with Johnson. Decent keeper, but a lot of non-football decision making leaves too much to be desired.

Murray
Stowell
Patricio

Murray is probably the best goalie I've seen at Molineux. The season we got to the playoff semi's under Mick he easily won us 20 points on his own. Rui is in as he's better than any of the other keepers we've had since.

Well, as Finlayson took over from Williams in the 57-58 season and you would realistically need to be about ten to probably have a decent memory of a player, I would say approaching 75!

Murray
Patricio
Stowell

Looking forward to seeing how things have moved on from this time two years ago (when the consensus was the below)

------------------------Matt Murray---------------------

Kevin Foley----Dean Richards----Joleon Lescott------Andy Thompson

Helder Costa-----Alex Rae--------Colin Cameron-----Bakary Sako

-------------------Steve Bull---------Robbie Keane-------------------

Manager: Mick McCarthy

I'm not sure Helder will make the cut (or even most people top 3!)

Matt Murray
Rui Patricio
John Ruddy

Well, as Finlayson took over from Williams in the 57-58 season and you would realistically need to be about ten to probably have a decent memory of a player, I would say approaching 75!

Nope I'm 70.

As I've said before I saw my first Wolves match in 1953 at the age of 4.

Finlayson was also a good keeper but not as good as Bert 'the cat' Williams.

You have to remember there was no TV in those days so those visits to football grounds with my father and uncles were all consuming for me and the main topic of conversation for male folk.
I can remember Bert Williams as if it was yesterday along with other notable players, esp. 1954 when we won the league beating the Baggies into 2nd place.

Back