• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (2019 version) - 1970 - present

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
We're back. Because the world has changed somewhat in the last two years.

If you're in any doubt as to how all this works, feel free to look at the old thread.

This time we're going for a 3-5-2 formation to allow us to accommodate the current lot as well as incorporate older players, and it means we still have a proper strike partnership at the business end.

But anyway, keepers up first. Three picks. Stick them down in order, justification for your selection is always welcome. And don't worry about contradicting yourself from two years ago, everyone will do that. It'll be GK, CH (6 picks to find three players), RWB, LWB, CM (6 picks to find three players), ST (6 picks to find two players), Manager. Don't piss about and put Lonners, Seyi, Gorkss down, no-one thinks you're funny :)

We generally do a vote a day or so (depending on whether I have actual stuff to do), so don't be tardy on your entries for no reason, you might miss out.

I'll kick us off.

Matt Murray
Rui Patricio
John Ruddy

The team so far:

--------------------------------------Matt Murray--------------------------------------

---------------Joleon Lescott---------Conor Coady--------Willy Boly--------------------

Matt Doherty-----------Alex Rae-------Ruben Neves--------Joao Moutinho-------Jonny

----------------------------Steve Bull----------Diogo Jota-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Rui Pat
Matt Murray
John Ruddy

As one of the 70's old farts, I'd always try to shoehorn some of my favourites in but you know what, don't think I'd have any in front of the current first 11. No doubt, Parkin, Munro, Richards and Bailey could do a good job in a 3-5-2 but just don't think any of them would oust the current incumbents

Rui Patricio
Matt Murray (would possibly have been at the top if he had lasted)
John Ruddy (Parkes just loses out as had enough rickets to lose him points)

Then again this time the last couple of season's success will have an impact on any voting.

As one of the 'older' particpants then only have 2 or 3 names from the early days who will be offered up given that we are are going 3 - 5 - 2 which they didn't really play much. Some of the others could have done with current coaching/medical support/diet etc, but won't get there as they didn't & who knows whether they could have done.

As one of the 70's old farts, I'd always try to shoehorn some of my favourites in but you know what, don't think I'd have any in front of the current first 11. No doubt, Parkin, Munro, Richards and Bailey could do a good job in a 3-5-2 but just don't think any of them would oust the current incumbents

Will have at least one of those in my list when we come to their position - not saying who yet

Murray
Patricio
Stowell

Ruddy just on the outside, because of just the one season in the Championship, ironically if he'd played last season he probably would have been number 2.

Jimenez is the most complete forward we've had since Richards and when the time comes I will have a big decision to make

Matt Murray
Rui Patricio
John Ruddy

Ruddy just on the outside, because of just the one season in the Championship, ironically if he'd played last season he probably would have been number 2.

Tight between Ruddy and Stowell for me. Just think Big John has the edge and he has been a superb pro this season. Plenty would have had a full on strop as really, it wasn't "fair" that he was cast aside. He didn't do anything to merit being discarded as #1. We just found a better keeper (although rewind to Liverpool in January and plenty of folk, on here as well as Twitter and beyond were saying that he and Rui were more or less the same...)

Murray
Patricio
Postma

Because 3rd doesn't matter.

Patricio
Murray
Ruddy

Matt Murray
Rui Patricio
Mike Stowell

Back