• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I've been on a diet now for just over 3 months and have lost nearly 3 stone mainly through a massive change in how much i was eating and what i was eating. It can be a bastard looking at the calories but i've been using the myfitnesspal app on the iphone which lets you scan the barcode of foods and then enter how much you have eaten and you can log all of your workouts in there too. I'd recommend that app as i didn't have the willpower before but this has helped massively.

Hmm, might just be me but I've lost loads of weight without changing my diet at all and just going to the gym everyday. Though I do workout for a good 2 hours and I still have football practise on the side but I still drink and eat loads.

I've been on a diet now for just over 3 months and have lost nearly 3 stone mainly through a massive change in how much i was eating and what i was eating. It can be a bastard looking at the calories but i've been using the myfitnesspal app on the iphone which lets you scan the barcode of foods and then enter how much you have eaten and you can log all of your workouts in there too. I'd recommend that app as i didn't have the willpower before but this has helped massively.

MyFitnessPal is an excellent app. I'd also recommend buying a set of mini kitchen scales so you can weigh things like snacks. People always massively underestimate the quantity of food that they eat.

Hmm, might just be me but I've lost loads of weight without changing my diet at all and just going to the gym everyday. Though I do workout for a good 2 hours and I still have football practise on the side but I still drink and eat loads.

It's probably because you do a lot more exercise than the average person. If you were to diet, you'd get an even more accelerated loss of weight.

MyFitnessPal is an excellent app. I'd also recommend buying a set of mini kitchen scales so you can weigh things like snacks. People always massively underestimate the quantity of food that they eat.

Yes i've got some of them so when i'm preparing something from scratch i can weigh the ingredients, it's all worth it in the end when you can see it working.

lol the metric system threw me off everywhere in this thread. I'll just confuse you lot with my pounds and inches.

HT, when running do you vary your runs in distance? I trained a few years ago for a half marathon (not the mad ironman jlov is doing!) and found the best way to get fit and lose your belly is to use distance and not time for your runs as you will mostly run over 20 minutes anyway. I had a 1 mile full tilt suicide run (which will make you throw up the first time you do it) and regular 3, 5 and 7 1/2 mile runs. It knocks the monotony out of running and your muscles work differently as your mind tells you how far and what exertion you need in certain sections.

I'm starting it again in September if anybody's interested in comparing notes.

HT, when running do you vary your runs in distance? I trained a few years ago for a half marathon (not the mad ironman jlov is doing!) and found the best way to get fit and lose your belly is to use distance and not time for your runs as you will mostly run over 20 minutes anyway. I had a 1 mile full tilt suicide run (which will make you throw up the first time you do it) and regular 3, 5 and 7 1/2 mile runs. It knocks the monotony out of running and your muscles work differently as your mind tells you how far and what exertion you need in certain sections.

I'm starting it again in September if anybody's interested in comparing notes.

I try to vary things as much as possible on the treadmill when i go to the gym, changing incline, speed, intervals and overall time all the time, previously i used to just stick it on for half an hour and spend as much time as possible plodding along at a comfortable pace, occasionally having a little walk for a break, i seemed to be able to cope with it better after a while but when i was playing football, sprinting around, changing direction and what not, i always felt sluggish and slower than before i'd started going to the gym, despite being fitter.

I go to the gym 3 times a week and tend to do a 5km run in 28 minutes and 11km on the bike in 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll just do a 5 mile run which takes me around 55 minutes. Tend to burn about 600 calories an hour.

I'm 6'6'' and weigh 16.5 stone, which is just over what my BMI should be, but being tall I carry the weight comfortably. I try to eat relatively healthy during the week and rarely drink weeknights, but I eat and drink what I want at the weekend.

If I really focused on what I put in my belly I'm sure I could lose a couple of stone quite easily with the exercise I do, but I prefer to enjoy myself. My exercise is basically an excuse to eat and drink what I want, when I want.

Anyone had their body fat measured recently? I'm at 11%, hoping to get down to about 8 to let my abs shine through.

I'm on a 4 day split at the moment.

Chest/tris/5k run
Back/bis/abs
Shoulders/5k run
Legs/abs

Repeat. Trying to get below 24 minutes for a 5k. I did 24'53" Tuesday, which is my lowest time, and that's after shaving about 5 minutes off in the last 2 months.

Anyone had their body fat measured recently? I'm at 11%, hoping to get down to about 8 to let my abs shine through.

I'm on a 4 day split at the moment.

Chest/tris/5k run
Back/bis/abs
Shoulders/5k run
Legs/abs

Repeat. Trying to get below 24 minutes for a 5k. I did 24'53" Tuesday, which is my lowest time, and that's after shaving about 5 minutes off in the last 2 months.

I'm aiming to beat 25 minutes for my 5k by the end of the year. Current best is 27:45.

I'm aiming to beat 25 minutes for my 5k by the end of the year. Current best is 27:45.

This 5k thing... is it down the street or on a step machine or other bit of gym equipment?

Sorry, just read LG's post just back there.
So it's all in the gym.

I'll try 5 km and let you know what my time is. Then you can laugh...

I'm going to test myself over 5k tonight. Doubt it will be under 30mins though!

Anyone ever done any 'barefoot' running?

It doesn't neccessarily have to be barefoot, you can get 'barefoot shoes' which offer little more than a sole for a bit of protection, none of the cushioning and support and whatever else modern running shoes are supposed to offer. The idea being that running with none of this extra technology to 'correct' your technique is that your body naturally finds 'your way' of running then allows/encourages your legs and muscles to strengthen in support of your technique, opposed to having a modern shoe alternating your technique and effectively making you weaker in the process.

I've read little bits on it, apparently there's a book called 'Born to run' which is quite informative on the subject, seems quite interesting so i might try and find a deal on some 'barefoot shoes' and give it a try. Hopefully i can reap some of the strengthening effect that supposedly comes with this style of running and rid me of the ankle niggles i've been picking up lately.

Was reading some stuff about running technique too when i looked into it, heel striking/toe striking sort of thing, not sure my technique is as 'efficient' as it could be so might have a go and see if i can change it.

This 5k thing... is it down the street or on a step machine or other bit of gym equipment?

Sorry, just read LG's post just back there.
So it's all in the gym.

I'll try 5 km and let you know what my time is. Then you can laugh...

On the treadmill. If I did it on the roads it'd be too easy to stop and walk it for a bit, but the treadmill keeps you going.

I remember riding bare back at lot when i was courting, had a few close shaves as well

Anyone ever done any 'barefoot' running?

It doesn't neccessarily have to be barefoot, you can get 'barefoot shoes' which offer little more than a sole for a bit of protection, none of the cushioning and support and whatever else modern running shoes are supposed to offer. The idea being that running with none of this extra technology to 'correct' your technique is that your body naturally finds 'your way' of running then allows/encourages your legs and muscles to strengthen in support of your technique, opposed to having a modern shoe alternating your technique and effectively making you weaker in the process.

I've read little bits on it, apparently there's a book called 'Born to run' which is quite informative on the subject, seems quite interesting so i might try and find a deal on some 'barefoot shoes' and give it a try. Hopefully i can reap some of the strengthening effect that supposedly comes with this style of running and rid me of the ankle niggles i've been picking up lately.

Was reading some stuff about running technique too when i looked into it, heel striking/toe striking sort of thing, not sure my technique is as 'efficient' as it could be so might have a go and see if i can change it.

Mark, have you tried those 'toning trainers', with the round soles?
Wife bought a pair and on grass they're pretty good, but on the road or hard surfaces they're killers!
But I suppose that says they really work!

She could feel her calves and backs of her thighs being worked and after a longish walk on footpaths...! Next day she felt like she'd been hit by a bus.
So I guess if you persevered with them, they'd be great....?

Mark, have you tried those 'toning trainers', with the round soles?
Wife bought a pair and on grass they're pretty good, but on the road or hard surfaces they're killers!
But I suppose that says they really work!

She could feel her calves and backs of her thighs being worked and after a longish walk on footpaths...! Next day she felt like she'd been hit by a bus.
So I guess if you persevered with them, they'd be great....?

I've not tried them but i think they're probably closer to a modern running shoe than the barefoot idea, adding something extra in that isn't really needed, although they're adding something in that makes you do a little more rather than something that takes away some of the work.

I think i might buy that book i mentioned and have a read, think the guy that wrote it went and did a lot of running with some native American tribe that do silly amounts of running in nothing more than a primative sandal. The lack of support or anything from the shoe meant they're legs became really strong, they became pretty much immune to injury and there were memebers of the tribe running massive distances well into their senior years, apparently the lack of anything supportive or corrective in the shoe leads to a whole new technique of running which reduces the strain on joints and muscles.

I've never felt particularly light on my feet, i have an almost Berra-esque lack of acceleration at times when playing football, so maybe this sort of thing could get me more on my toes.

About 5 years ago, whilst wearing very thin moccasins, I stood on a little stone, only about 6 or 7 mm, but it was exactly in the centre of my heel.
Which is apparently where a little knot of nerve endings come down your leg and then from there spread out into your foot.
After I had 10 cortisone injectionds in my heel (Really, really eye watering!!) I was on heavy painkillers continuously for around 3 or 4 months and then spasmodically whenever the need arose. But they were included on my monthly prescription.
Now 5 years later I still have them but very rarely need to use them. 1 tiny stone = 5 years of hurt!

Just bear that in mind if you're seriously thinking of running barefoot or practically barefoot anywhere. ...

Back