• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Is there any particular reason why Grealish is not getting a game at Man City ? He had fought his way into Pep's team last year , and now nothing .

Is there any particular reason why Grealish is not getting a game at Man City ? He had fought his way into Pep's team last year , and now nothing .
Right now? Injured

Before that, Pep has lost interest in him

Last edited:
From the BBC report of last nights Everton game.

They had 10 points deducted by an independent commission in November for financial rule breaches, but lodged an appeal the following month. No date for the appeal hearing has yet been confirmed.

I thought that the appeal had already been heard and it is just a case of waiting for the outcome.

From the BBC report of last nights Everton game.

They had 10 points deducted by an independent commission in November for financial rule breaches, but lodged an appeal the following month. No date for the appeal hearing has yet been confirmed.

I thought that the appeal had already been heard and it is just a case of waiting for the outcome.
They have, the verdict is this week. I still think they'll reduce it to somewhere between 5 and 7

Last edited:
Pardew said yesterday he'd heard they are getting 5 points back

Pardew said yesterday he'd heard they are getting 5 points back
Go for the old 5 points suspended routine...and oh they have been done again...have the 5 points unsuspended

I saw a Kieran Maguire podcast and he was guessing that the punishment of 10 points could have been a set figure for the breach (6) and then points for the amount above the breach (1 per £5m over). He then stated that the breach for this season could be reduced by 2/3rds as part of the period has already been punished. All pure guesswork but you would think that 6 for the breach would be a believable figure as you need the deterrent to make clubs stay within the rules. Everton have admitted being £10m over, they were only arguing the toss over the £20m figure that the panel had arrived at.

That's the issue for me and what leaves it open for appeal. Ridiculous that the penalties aren't defined

I’m curious to see how the appeal ends up purely on the precedent it will now set. The breakdown on how they got to 10 points & potentially on how they deem bigger breaches is important.

A UEFA document doing the rounds states the following...

Aston Villa reported a loss before tax of €138m in 2023 after a transfer-driven profit the previous year despite the pandemic. This annual loss is one of three in the top 50 largest historic club losses. The clubs with the next five highest reported losses show a positive trend from the year before

I know that financial losses don't equate to FFP losses and that the previous year showed a small profit, however it does highlight how close to the wind that they are also sailing. They will be within limits but their room for further investment will be curtailed without having to sell.

Could put them in trouble with UEFA FFP though where the bar is lower. They've got a decent side, I don't see a £60m player there for them to sell if needs be though, so might take a couple

Emery was talking about the selling of players in the summer and went a bit Lopetegui in his reaction.

Essentially don't sell anyone good as I need them plus a load of other really good players or whats the point

Chelsea taking Brighton's last head of recruitment didn't work out for them so they've taken his replacement. All pretty pointless unless he nicks the algorithm on his way out

Pep doesn’t trust him. Simple as that really. He will be gone soon

Back