• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

I really don't see why the Wire is so highly rated. It's a good series but not anything that makes me think it's one of the best ever.

Yes good point. Time magazine and milions of fans must be wrong,
Its really not that good. Two and a half men is much better....

Yes good point. Time magazine and milions of fans must be wrong,
Its really not that good. Two and a half men is much better....

That's called an opinion, you're acting like a real dick today and to then sarcastically praise one of the most commercially successful series ever makes you look like a moron as well.

Commercially successful does not equal critical acclaim or awards. The Wire was named Greatest ever TV show for a good reason.

I dont intend to be a dick today, just fed up of the 'i know better, man of the world' drivel comin from a schoolkid who lives in Holland!
Why you feel the need to critise the NHS is beyond me when its quite clear you havent got a clue what you're on about

Commercially successful does not equal critical acclaim or awards. The Wire was named Greatest ever TV show for a good reason.

I never said it was a good show, I said it was extremely successful and you're telling me you're fed with my know it all attitude, hypocrite.

BTW don't use the fact I come from Holland as a reason why I should know nothing about the NHS, you know nothing about me.

Ive read enough to be able to tell you're a keyboard warrior. I can still remember your rant against muslims and other such garbage.

Ive read enough to be able to tell you're a keyboard warrior. I can still remember your rant against muslims and other such garbage.

An attempt at an insult, pathetic.

I merely asked why the Wire was rated so highly, no need for your sarcastic response. As for my "rant" against muslims I live in a different country (as you so openly acknowledged before) and thus you can't compare Muslims in Ireland to the Muslims here. BTW look that thread up, I have no problem with Muslims (well at least no more than I have against any religion) I have a problem with unbridled immigration.

I really don't see why the Wire is so highly rated. It's a good series but not anything that makes me think it's one of the best ever.

The reason it's so highly rated is because the acting is superb, the scripts sharp, clever, funny and realistic, the content of every single episode is thought provoking and intelligent, the cinematography brilliant, the score (soundtrack) sublime and did I mention the acting and the script? There has never been a long running series that has been so consistently fantastic in every single episode in every single series. Now, personally the best thing that I have ever watched is Band of Brothers, but that is only 10 episodes; The Wire is faultless for 60 episodes. And I mean faultless. The 3rd series is often said to be 'not as good' and yet every episode is brilliant. And I think that is pretty much why The Wire is considered so ground breaking. Along with the fact that some of the cast are people who they got from the very streets where the series is set...

The acting and scripts are very good but the characters (as far as I've seen) aren't very likeable, obviously this might have something to do with the realism or just simply my opinion but it severely hampers me wanting to follow them around trying to roll up criminals (mainly drugdealers etc. as I've only really watched the first season) or follow them around in their day to day struggles as I couldn't care for the main characters. It does add to the exploring of the social themes in the series but again I haven't watched it long enough to really get into that. Though I've heard the seasons differ quite a bit so I might have another look.

Most of the characters are flawed, that's what makes them seem real. The more you watch the more you get to like them (well, some of them). Even the 'bad guys' have likeable traits, they aren't black and white, the characterisation of both police and gangsters has real shades of grey. IMO that makes it even more brilliant, not less so. Things with formulaic characters that are obvious are predictable and tedious after a while. Omar, the gay gangster who robs drug dealers is a perfect example. A fantastic character. And the different series do focus on different things- the Port Authority, the press, the city hall and politicians, but underlying it all is the war on the drug dealers. Quite simply brilliant.

The reason it's so highly rated is because the acting is superb, the scripts sharp, clever, funny and realistic, the content of every single episode is thought provoking and intelligent, the cinematography brilliant, the score (soundtrack) sublime and did I mention the acting and the script? There has never been a long running series that has been so consistently fantastic in every single episode in every single series. Now, personally the best thing that I have ever watched is Band of Brothers, but that is only 10 episodes; The Wire is faultless for 60 episodes. And I mean faultless. The 3rd series is often said to be 'not as good' and yet every episode is brilliant. And I think that is pretty much why The Wire is considered so ground breaking. Along with the fact that some of the cast are people who they got from the very streets where the series is set...

The 3rd season is my favourite personally

Most of the characters are flawed, that's what makes them seem real. The more you watch the more you get to like them (well, some of them). Even the 'bad guys' have likeable traits, they aren't black and white, the characterisation of both police and gangsters has real shades of grey. IMO that makes it even more brilliant, not less so. Things with formulaic characters that are obvious are predictable and tedious after a while. Omar, the gay gangster who robs drug dealers is a perfect example. A fantastic character. And the different series do focus on different things- the Port Authority, the press, the city hall and politicians, but underlying it all is the war on the drug dealers. Quite simply brilliant.

McNulty is certainly a less than honest cop, but thats what makes him so good!

4 is the kids at school right? Thats a close one for me, it was always a toss-up between 3-4. 2 was weakest for me, I didnt like Sabotkas nephew and his pal, whose name escapes me

4 is the kids at school right? Thats a close one for me, it was always a toss-up between 3-4. 2 was weakest for me, I didnt like Sabotkas nephew and his pal, whose name escapes me

Yeah, 4 is the school system and mayor election. I really liked season 2, though I can't remember the name of the character you're thinking of.

I would say The Wire is probably the best tv series I have ever seen. Complex characters acting in accordance with their character. The pal was sabotka's son wasn't it? He shot some guy. He was a right annoying twat. The nephew's bird had fantastic knockers IIRC :)

i don't have sky so don't watch this channel obviously, though i could download some of the good stuff if i can be bothered. Is anyone watching the george rr martin fantasy series game of thrones with Sean Bean? Just wondered if it was any good?

I would say The Wire is probably the best tv series I have ever seen. Complex characters acting in accordance with their character. The pal was sabotka's son wasn't it? He shot some guy. He was a right annoying twat. The nephew's bird had fantastic knockers IIRC :)

Yeah he was Franks son....Iggy? Izzy? Something like that.

Back