• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think they are very similar stylistically, Pulisic is probably a bit cleaner and so his end product is a bit better yeah but he’s also never fit.
I find Pulisic a fundamentally uninteresting player to watch, he disappears constantly and doesn't have any single characteristic that marks him out. And he certainly isn't a clever footballer.

Adama is largely rubbish but he'll occasionally give you a moment like he did on Saturday. It's nothing like enough but it's more than you get off Pulisic on the whole.

Pulisic is probably a better hill to die on than Jozy fuckin' Altidore, at least.

(Know you're just ribbing me tbf, as if I could ever really shut up about players everyone else thinks are shite)
You want to read what Leeds fans think of Weston McKennie...

You want to read what Leeds fans think of Weston McKennie...
Not really, it can't any of it be good.

One of those players who is like a cog that needs to be fit in a team in a very specific way. Suffice to say that ain't happening for him at Leeds and neither has he really looked interested in overcoming that himself.

His has been a very frustrating career to follow.

Not really, it can't any of it be good.
I'd honestly struggle to pick an all-time PL US XI that's even close to acceptable, for whatever reason a lot of your players struggle here. If I'm allowed to pick three keepers at the same time (who would all get in on merit) so the team will basically never concede then it might work.

I'd honestly struggle to pick an all-time PL US XI that's even close to acceptable, for whatever reason a lot of your players struggle here. If I'm allowed to pick three keepers at the same time (who would all get in on merit) so the team will basically never concede then it might work.
Let's be honest, for as much as I like to big them up, the fact has simply been that they just don't have the talent for absolute highest level.

Occasionally we produce a player with that kind of talent but then the entire soccer media goes absolutely fucking bananas over them; it can't be good to have that extra pressure of national pride on you all the time. We're still waiting on an American outfield player to really break through at the top end of the table. For as much as most of us think fondly on Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, there's just going to be something different about the first time an American player puts in a MOTM performance for Liverpool, Chelsea, etc etc than putting in one for Everton or Fulham.

More than that, although coaching is getting significantly better over here at a pleasingly rapid rate, we're still not a football culture that is really, properly astute tactically. Sometimes you get a guy with some pretty good ideas (Marsch), but too often they're ideas that leave one or more fatal flaws in the setup that inevitably will get you sacked once your career takes you far enough. It's not a coincidence that a lot of the heralded players for our national side were raised overseas. Shit, look at Balogun. Would he be the same player today if he had signed on with an academy in New York rather than London? Doubtful.

That turned into more of a diatribe than I intended.

Need a fifth midfielder as poor Stu is guaranteed to break 3 minutes in.

Bradley had a few stellar years in his prime but that was well after he'd been at Villa.

Just to give you an idea of how fucking in a tizzy our soccer media get over Americans moving to England, who (other than Herr Photographic Memory) can name the American that Bournemouth signed in 2017, making a grand total of 2 appearances before being shuffled back to America?

Because I know his name. Because everyone freaked the fuck out thinking he might be "the one" to make the breakthrough I mentioned above. Spoiler: homie isn't even playing professional football anymore.

Just to give you an idea of how fucking in a tizzy our soccer media get over Americans moving to England, who (other than Herr Photographic Memory) can name the American that Bournemouth signed in 2017, making a grand total of 2 appearances before being shuffled back to America?

Because I know his name. Because everyone freaked the fuck out thinking he might be "the one" to make the breakthrough I mentioned above. Spoiler: homie isn't even playing professional football anymore.
I do know but I won't spoil it :D

He was quality, who was it who broke him in half and ruined him forever?
A wee Jonny Evans, I think. (EDIT: God DAMN IT, Dan 😂)

Honestly, though, it was always something with Stu. I'm not sure that there was actually any relation between his later knee injuries and the Evans incident everyone remembers. Poor guy just couldn't stay healthy.

I had to google it but I remember him being really good when I'd seen him play once for his previous club.

Didn’t know he played for Bournemouth but did know he played for the other club.

I had to google it but I remember him being really good when I'd seen him play once for his previous club.
He was very highly rated so he must have shown something at some point. Think it just goes to show that the American Soccer Psyche just isn't calibrated for the standard of quality required to actually be a starting player in the Premier League.

It's sad that he's slipped so far as to have Atlanta outright waive him (bought out his contract, basically) and no other MLS clubs have picked him up. But MLS has improved a fair amount even in the last 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back