• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single year people claim that Jeff's tightness/misunderstanding of FFP is some kind of elaborate negotiating strategy as if the world's directors of football are glued to the express and star to find out how much to charge us

I’ll focus on the “Wolves insist there has been no fall out” for now.

I've seen it suggested a few times that Fosun/Shi need to hire some expert football people to act as advisors, because they clearly don't know what they're doing relying on Mendes. Folks, Mendes is the "expert" they've hired, to the extent of buying part of his agency.

I don't really know what to make of all this. Either:

a) This is all indicating some kind of backroom disagreement over transfer policy/funds which we're not privy to, but which is being leaked out to the press misleadingly as FFP-related; or...
b) Fosun/Shi actually are cutting the transfer ambitions again because they've gone back to where they were in summer '21, sacking Nuno to bring in a cheaper coach as a "steady hand" (lol) while looking for outside investment from another party, and they don't realise that a coach of Lopetegui's level just won't tolerate playing a babysitter role however long that takes; or...
c) Fosun/Shi actually don't understand how FFP works. Which, as much as they keep walking into rakes of their own laying, I seriously doubt can be the case...

Last edited:
I'm getting the same vibe from Fosun as my kids do from me when I try to argue that they don't need any more pocket money.

The bread making machine we bought in lockdown in the cupboard gathering dust is my version of Guedes.

The premier league is full of over seas players that have struggled in there first year. That have a better second year.

I think Cunha, and Nunes will fit in to that bracket.

They were chasing Lopetegui for nearly six years. They reportedly used him as a consultant during the initial takeover process. They waited nearly a third of a season, with a woefully underqualified caretaker manager, until they got him.

To go through all that - years and years of approaches, back channel conversations, patience - and lose him after half a season because they were actually lying to him the whole time would be insane.
I agree with this. I just can't see Fosun chasing him for as long as they did to let him go after half a season.

If Lop feels like he's been lied to, though, then that's a different story.

Big tin foil hat theory, but I wonder if these leaks aren't coming from Mendes' people specifically to drive a wedge between Fosun and Lop in hopes that Shi will come crawling back to Jorge.

Big tin foil hat theory, but I wonder if these leaks aren't coming from Mendes' people specifically to drive a wedge between Fosun and Lop in hopes that Shi will come crawling back to Jorge.
Not really as Lop has already mentioned the issues to the press.

Its a genuine thing but the noise around it can make it sound worse than it is. Various places it goes from been told he needs to sell to fund some things to JEFF TOLD LIES, WE HAVE NO MONEY EVEN IF WE SELL NEVES.

Your view on life and Jeff will decide where you land and what you believe.

Lop’s mentioned the issues but IIRC not with anything like the tone that some of these reports are implying?

It's not just Lopetegui it's pretty much the entire football side of the club now.
This is such an important point. We're all waxing lyrical about Gomes in the signing of the season thread, but he's only here because we made such a concerted effort to woo him - how will he, and most of the squad for that matter, react if it turns out the club doesn't have the "grand vision" that's been repeatedly pitched for the last few years?

A few people online saying this is Lop putting himself in the shop window by making 'unhappy noises' after 'restoring his reputation' by keeping us up.

Sounds a bit over-complicated to me, also a) I don't think there was much wrong with Lop's reputation anyway and b) elite clubs wouldn't give a shit if a manager can stop a mid table club getting relegated

A few people online saying this is Lop putting himself in the shop window by making 'unhappy noises' after 'restoring his reputation' by keeping us up.

Sounds a bit over-complicated to me, also a) I don't think there was much wrong with Lop's reputation anyway and b) elite clubs wouldn't give a shit if a manager can stop a mid table club getting relegated
These people should be ignored

Of course, just interesting the kind of narratives people run with

Not really as Lop has already mentioned the issues to the press.

Its a genuine thing but the noise around it can make it sound worse than it is. Various places it goes from been told he needs to sell to fund some things to JEFF TOLD LIES, WE HAVE NO MONEY EVEN IF WE SELL NEVES.

Your view on life and Jeff will decide where you land and what you believe.
Agreed. People are losing their minds (not on here) on SM. You have to read between the lines and i agree it's a decent sabre rattling attempt to remind Fosun what they promised.
The biggest issue i see is we have no more room for non homegrown players, so some have to leave before we buy anymore from outside of this country. That might take time. Correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back