• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say they're closer to Moshiri's earlier years at Everton. There's been spending but a lot of it has been very, very badly directed, and they've jumped from plan to plan for no reason and with poor results. So down the road (and partly due to badly drafted and outdated financial rules, which desperately need overhauling) everything needs to be reined back in.

Mercifully they have found a good manager rather than the Everton road of appointing dud after dud after dud.
That's fair.

There are some awful owners in the PL right now.

Why? there's no reason to be so negative, be mid table no problem.
If you're not paying attention or incapable of scratching beneath the surface backing Wolves to go down is an easy stance to take right now.

You won't get any kind of intelligent answer by asking these questions. Better just to let them flail around and be proven wrong when we continue our form under Lopetegui.

I don’t think we will be in trouble come May, based on our current team/squad.

We have effectively lost neves out of our first 11, a huge player, however we had planned for that in January IMO and shown we can play a different way with lemina and Gomes in the middle. I would never say we won’t miss him, but it will change the way we play.

In effect, post Lop appointment we were top 10 for form, so I don’t foresee this drastic drop off.

Factor in sarabia, Cunha and Gomes have 6 months under their belts, it’s fair to expect them to be better for it. Nunes with a full year as well.

Sorry, we’ve also lost Diego from our 11 - which majority won’t see as a big loss anyway.

I’d be suprised if relegation becomes a huge concern, possible, but unlikely

If you're not paying attention or incapable of scratching beneath the surface backing Wolves to go down is an easy stance to take right now.

You won't get any kind of intelligent answer by asking these questions. Better just to let them flail around and be proven wrong when we continue our form under Lopetegui.
It's crazy, our form under JL so far has been mid table, no reason to think it'll be any less than that over a whole season when we're not starting behind everyone else.

The only thing that gives me any hope of staying up this season is that we have a good manager in Lopetegui. Without him I don't think the squad we have would likely stay up.

The whole air of the club is depressing right now, with Fosun being responsible for the choices they are making and people they are employing (like Vinny Clark). The club is slowly going downhill and it needs an attitude shift or new owners that aren't satisfied with just scraping survival to keep their brand healthy.

After threatening to leave over the FFP stuff earlier this summer, if Lopetegui had any serious offers at a decent sized European club he'd have been off in a shot IMO. Fosun absolutely did him up like a kipper in their promises when he joined. I'm amazed a Saudi club hasn't seriously come in for him tbh. Maybe they have and Lop doesn't want anything to do with them.

Giles to Boro is all done, he’s having a medical this morning and it’s just on us getting a replacement (cresswell) to push the big Red okay button.
Cheers bud.

Just to qualify, I dont think we'll go down this season, it wont even be close. It won't be a quick decline but I think mid-long term will see things dwindle. It cant not when you've got the potent cocktail of Shi's arrogance and incompetence.

Just to qualify, I dont think we'll go down this season, it wont even be close. It won't be a quick decline but I think mid-long term will see things dwindle. It cant not when you've got the potent cocktail of Shi's arrogance and incompetence.
We're only really at the same level of risk as anyone outside of the top 7 (which now includes Newcastle). You're always vulnerable to a bad season. That's never been any different and people are kidding themselves if they think it's ever been any different.

Yeah, we're likely to be relegated within 5 years if nothing changes at ownership level. Whether that's outside investment, a change of strategy (after we balance the books for a few seasons) or a full takeover.

If Lopetegui leaves and is replaced by someone inferior it's a downward spiral.

We're only really at the same level of risk as anyone outside of the top 7 (which now includes Newcastle). You're always vulnerable to a bad season. That's never been any different and people are kidding themselves if they think it's ever been any different.
Whilst we continue without a decent goalscorer who can't even get 10 goals per season, we'll always struggle and rely on our home record, and also pulling off some unexpected results. That's a terrible strategy long term.

It's a perfectly fine strategy in the short term. There's a hell of a lot of talent there (not sure why Lembikisa & Chiquinho are on that list though, we're not reliant on them becoming first team players at all) and most importantly we've got an excellent manager. Our form since he's arrived has been very good and although we have lost Neves I think we can expect more from Cunha, Sarabia, Matheus, Neto etc and I still have faith that we'll be able to provide a bit more balance to the squad despite the financial restrictions.
Re: Chiquinho & Lembikisa, you're right we aren't relying on them (though I think Chiquinho is one we could really do with having a big breakthrough season), but they could definitely be players we see as useful squad options. I'd also rather Lembikisa breakout than have to rely on Doherty or Jonny as RB competition for Semedo.

Who says our strategy is to continue without a goal scorer?
There haven't been many links to a striker yet, so as it stands our hopes seem to be pinned on Sasa coming good. That hopefully will change ASAP.

It seems that we might sign Scott and probably will sign Elvedi and Cresswell. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Having a proper coach in charge fills me with more confidence. Having said that this again won’t be a vintage season and I expect some periods where we look over our shoulders a lot.

We had a proper coach in charge for half of last season and there still times away from home when we defended like a Sunday League team! It seems to me that Lop is looking to add experience to the defence so that doesn't happen. God knows how Doherty fits into that though.

We've just got to finish above the 3 promoted clubs or probably Everton, Bournemouth and Forest. I think Burnley could quite easily finish above us. We should manage to finish above 3 of those other 5, but we'll be down in a relegation fight all season I expect.
Agree, our aim going forward has to just be less shit than 3 other teams. Dreaming is for free apparently but I think even that’s a little pricey for the next few seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back