• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mendes still under investigation for money laundering? Interesting to see who owns one of Portugal’s largest banks too.

He hasn't Alan, the issue I and I think everyone else has is being used to suit the benefit of others. It's not about Nunes it's about what it represents. All based on it being true of course, but Percy is the one journalist I'd trust.

@MARKakaJIM (phone won't let me quote).
I don't agree with that. They wanted to invest in a football club and use Mendes as a cheat code to make money. That's essentially what got us to the PL and 7th. Leaking millions doesn't make sense, the metaphorical brown paper bags you are alluding to would need to be enormous to balance the equilibrium. He's playing them at this stage
There was a story I found last year, and found it had been posted on here a few years before by someone else, where it described the pitch Mendes made to get Fosun into the football business. As alluded to in my previous post, Mendes just wanted them involved as a financial backer for 3rd party deals where he was creaming it in, but governance made that difficult without there being a legitimate way of Fosun putting money into the game, such as owning a club.

The relationship with Mendes is the reason they now have an interest in football, there wasn't an interest in football that prompted the relationship with Mendes. The previous symbiotic nature of the relationship was, as I see it, down to Wolves' lowly standing in the Mendes circle and ease of improving them rather than any grand plan.

He hasn't Alan, the issue I and I think everyone else has is being used to suit the benefit of others. It's not about Nunes it's about what it represents. All based on it being true of course, but Percy is the one journalist I'd trust.
That's fair enough; I suppose given that we were clearly not Nunes' first choice I kind of expected something like this to happen, especially having started the season the way we did.

This report from Percy hasn't an iota of surprise in it, IMO.

Mendes got them into the football business with the premise that player transfers were the only profitable part of the industry. At the time of that pitch 3rd party ownership wasn't as strictly governed and it would've been easy for Fosun to dip their money in that way, facilitating transfers like those involving Falcao for Mendes. When the governance changed the only way to play that game was either be an agent or own a club.
Seems a bit of a convoluted way to me though. I'm not 100% on the numbers but fosun wrote off about 100m of loans to wolves, it would quite a lot of transfers to break even on that figure via the 20% they own of gestifute.

A lot of the Shi/Mendes stuff is filling in some serious blanks, IMO.

Given his output so far I genuinely wasn't expecting that we'd make a profit at all if he did end up being sold in June.
Based on the history of where it's been done before it's a fair assumption.

Based on the history of where it's been done before it's a fair assumption.
I'm not calling it flat-out wrong (it's a very distinct possibility). Just not a wagon I'm comfortable jumping on at this moment.

That's fair enough; I suppose given that we were clearly not Nunes' first choice I kind of expected something like this to happen, especially having started the season the way we did.

This report from Percy hasn't an iota of surprise in it, IMO.
It’s not unexpected at all, we all know how it works now.

But there’s got to be something in it for us to make it worthwhile. Instead we need an entire new midfield in one window whilst being in a worse position financially, zero team chemistry developed and having to re enter the transfer window lottery for another player who in all likelihood won’t hit the ground running.

Making backwards steps for no/little financial reward is in no way beneficial.

I'm not calling it flat-out wrong (it's a very distinct possibility). Just not a wagon I'm comfortable jumping on at this moment.
You're ignoring history though.

Mendes has form for this.

If I accept what y'all are proposing to the same degree, I care significantly less about what the club does going forward.

Not a bridge I want to cross just now.

If I accept what y'all are proposing to the same degree, I care significantly less about what the club does going forward.

Not a bridge I want to cross just now.
I'm disgusted by it tbh Alan. It's not a place I wanted us to go, naively as it turns out.

I hope Fosun just fuck off now.

I do know how much it hurts y'all, to be fair.

Or, rather, I'm aware that it hurts y'all differently from how it hurts me, given that most here were born into the club, so to speak.

It's why we need Fosun out Alan. Obviously we are in a better place now than when they took us over, and there is no need for
pitchforks but it's an unhealthy existence. Hopefully we stay up this year, they make money on us and go
Based on the ownership of other clubs I think we need to be careful what we wish for. We could get owners like Newcastle (preferably minus the links to vile despotic regimes) or we could owners like West Brom, or Forest, or Derby... It all looks great until it doesn't.

Seems a bit of a convoluted way to me though. I'm not 100% on the numbers but fosun wrote off about 100m of loans to wolves, it would quite a lot of transfers to break even on that figure via the 20% they own of gestifute.
They only lose all the money if a transfer is a complete failure, even then there's a chance Mendes recovers decent money from those flops given the number of clubs under his influence.

They don't just throw the transfer money away in order to get a return through Mendes, they then have the player involved as an asset with which they can conduct further transactions, again recouping a Mendes cut.

@Dire Wolf As I said, their ownership of the club has been a positive. Unlikely for the amount we'd be sold for that it would be to charlatans. Not sexy enough to be leveraged like Utd and too expensive for chancers. Just not a fan of this model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back