• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see Ancelotti leaving. With Barca in transition and Atletico set to lose a chunk of their squad, he has a clearish run at prolonged success domestically as well having a tilt at being the first team to ever retain the Champions League.

I'm sure Liverpool, Ajax and Forest all retained the European Cup in the 70s, and I'm pretty sure Real won the thing multiple times on the trotback in the early days.

Or did we all imagine football before 1992?? :stirthepot:

Resigned within minutes of the full time whistle, I'm gutted. He signed a new 2 year contract on eve of the tournament.

None of those names appeal. The only replacement I should be pleased with is Ancelotti if they can prize him from Real. He has always said he wants to manage Italy, at 55 this may be his best time/chance

Ranieri's available lol:devilsmile:

I'm sure Liverpool, Ajax and Forest all retained the European Cup in the 70s, and I'm pretty sure Real won the thing multiple times on the trotback in the early days.

Bayern Munich as well

Yeah, but that's like saying the 1982 World Cup doesn't count because there were two group stages.

I'm not saying it doesn't count but to me it helps differentiate it as a new competition it's not just a rebrand, people retained the European Cup but no-one has ever retained the Champions League, two seperate competitions.

Same trophy though. (Well - each year a new one is made but it still has the same inscription on it)

Saying that the trophy did change. These are the old ones -

tumblr_m68yl5GLmN1qlvmbqo1_1280.jpg

It appears to have changed around 1974 as I have seen pictures of Beckenbauer being presented with the small style trophy the first time Bayern won it, but the second time against Leeds he is lifting the trophy with which we are now familiar.

Saying that the trophy did change.

The original trophies were like the Jules Rimet Trophy - if you won it enough times, you got to keep it and they made a new one. It's not like the World Cup was different before 1970, or the years of the Milk Cup weren't the same thing as the League Cup, or even that the Sherpa Van wasn't the same competition as the Auto Windscreens Shield.

I think you had to win it three times on the trot to get it.

Nowadays they just give replicas to all the winning clubs.

The picture of Gento with six trophies suggests that they made one per year from the start. There were nine on display in the Bernebeu before this season's final as I remember from pictures I saw.

Beating proper teams >>>> duffing up the likes of Linfield and Sliema Wanderers...

Moyes in talks with Galatasaray

Michael Laudrup has taken some two bob job in Qatar. What a waste.

Clearly I don't read anything that anyone posts any more :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back