• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

I don't understand religion at all, but I understand less how some people think an all powerful being will take time out to help them be better at sport than someone else who also worships the same being?

I don't understand religion at all, but I understand less how some people think an all powerful being will take time out to help them be better at sport than someone else who also worships the same being?
When I was in high school (not sure what the equivalent is in the UK... ages 14-18, basically), I played American footy and considered myself a Christian. I saw it this way:

Thanking God for giving me the strength to persevere through workouts, opponents, injuries, etc., did not seem to me to be recognizing that God had been more graceful to me than to others, but rather thanking him for the grace existing for me to draw on in the first place. I just happened to use my tools (provided by God) more effectively than my opponents did on the given day, as an example.

It wasn't about "oh I'm thanking God because he favored me more than the other guy", it was about thanking God for my life putting me in a position to be successful in the first place.

Even as an agnostic these days, I still spend a lot of time thinking about this sort of thing. Human religion is fascinating.

In essence it's devolved responsibility.

God given talent (even though it's genetics).
God shone down on us today (cause and effect in action right there).

I find it strange as athletes and particularly American athletes praise God rather than acknowledge their own ability got whatever achievement they accomplished. And Americans, in my experience, aren't usually the most humble and self effacing of folks (this isn't meant to be insulting).

Human religion is fascinating.
I'd choose the word weak, but for clarity I'd never criticise anyone for their faith as long as they don't force it on others. That's where the UK vs US disparity exists I think

Lots of customers planning to watch Bucs and Cowboys, including a Saints fan who wants the Bucs to win big (he hates the Cowboys more). Neither set of fans seems at all confident.
I want both sides to lose.

Tom Brady is just a bonafide freak of nature.

Just watched the highlights. Dallas should have won.

Kicker missed a FG and an XP and then Godwin gets a lucky non call on PI on the winning drive.

Just watched the highlights. Dallas should have won.

Kicker missed a FG and an XP and then Godwin gets a lucky non call on PI on the winning drive.
That non PI call was a joke, last 2 minutes officials decided to use their Brady rules…

Horrific start for the Vikings. Think they got unlucky with 2 big calls going against them which were probably incorrect but they shot themselves in the foot really. About 16 penalties for over 100 yards. Rubbish,

Chicago have a difficult trip to the Rams and come away NOT bottom of the Division. Every cloud... Thanks GB 😀 🤣

wtf happened yesterday? Nobody, NOBODY could have predicted some of those scores.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch more Texans games. They were well coached, disciplined, and actually played well. 27 1st half points for the 1st time in 4 years. Jacksonville have a new QB and coach, but still the same old incompetent Jags.

Texans top of their division! (until they play the Browns next week).

The 2 underdogs in my four fold won - Eagles and Chargers, the 2 favourites Vikings and Packers lost

wtf happened yesterday? Nobody, NOBODY could have predicted some of those scores.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch more Texans games. They were well coached, disciplined, and actually played well. 27 1st half points for the 1st time in 4 years. Jacksonville have a new QB and coach, but still the same old incompetent Jags.

Texans top of their division! (until they play the Browns next week).
I've been saying for years that Tyrod isn't as bad as some people think... ;)

I've been saying for years that Tyrod isn't as bad as some people think... ;)
He looks too small and his first throw was almost a pick-6. After that he gradually got better and better (albeit it was only the Jaguars).

Deshaun who?

Back