• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The OFFICIAL Womens World Cup Thread

I thought it was a pretty poor performance from us. Much worse than last week (though more goals to show for it obviously).

Jill Ellis seems absolutely clueless at times. Taking off Heath and Rapinoe was infuriating. Didn't mind putting O'Hara on, mind, but thought Brian or Holliday should have been the one taken off.

You are absolutely crazy.

'No' to everything.

:icon_lol:

Probably should go on the Annoyed thread, but on the Radio 2 sports news they mentioned that England played their semi final tonight "for the right to play in the final" yet they didn't say who against or even mention the USA v Germany match. Ignorance or what!

I just don't get it tbh. Granted reaching a semifinal amongst your peers is an achievement in its own right, but I just don't get the excitement given the winners would get battered by a mid table 8th tier English side. There's some decent touches and the occasional good hit, but by and large it's really poor quality. It's like trying to get excited for the nonleague world cup.

Football can be exciting at any level, whether it be kids playing on small pitches, Sunday League pub cloggers, Non League, Premier League or Internationals. If it was only quality football that I could ever get excited about then I would have given up on Wolves years ago.

The coverage and the quality of the football don't marry together at all so I can see where Del is coming from, it's not as if the kids games on a Sunday or the Midland Combination League get this amount of coverage. What's really starting to piss me off is certain 'personalities' in the media writing articles on how women's sport should receive parity and that women are marginalised and victim, victim, victim, sexism, victim.......it's boring, much like this shite and this garbage. It sets the women's game back years and it's insulting.

The women's game has the chance to set its own agenda, develop its own EPPP (Elite Player Performance Plan) according to the players at their disposal and they are ruining this by getting fucksticks like Powell opening her mouth and setting them up in the same turgid style that all England teams are playing.

I watched the first half last night and it was by and large pretty poor fare. Made worse by the BBC 'co-commentator' saying how the German's don't like the 'fight' an the Americans need to 'get at them'. We lambast this nonsense if we hear it at Wolves and here we have some so called expert on Women's football espousing the same thing, only I assume she hadn't had 4 pints in the Goose beforehand. Until we change our attitudes from top to bottom this kind of nonsense will invade English football. Fuck them off, male or female.

As it happened the Germans were playing a high pressure game on the defenders and trying to get the Americans to boot it long and so lose possession or make a mistake at the back. They looked like they had boundless energy and if anything looked like they wanted a fight!

Football can be exciting at any level, whether it be kids playing on small pitches, Sunday League pub cloggers, Non League, Premier League or Internationals. If it was only quality football that I could ever get excited about then I would have given up on Wolves years ago.

I agree with much of this plus if you add a big event to the title people take more interest. People who hardly watch tennis will watch Wimbledon over the next fortnight because its a massive occasion. Same with a game of darts if you add the words World Championship to it, as with snooker. I bet many people will watch the Open Golf championship and be totally enthralled by it all, even though they have never played a round.

I agree with much of this plus if you add a big event to the title people take more interest. People who hardly watch tennis will watch Wimbledon over the next fortnight because its a massive occasion. Same with a game of darts if you add the words World Championship to it, as with snooker. I bet many people will watch the Open Golf championship and be totally enthralled by it all, even though they have never played a round.

I will watch none of the above but i'm far more likely to play any of the sports involved.

Mark lets face facts, you will always be in a minority.

Can't say as I know of anyone, for definite at least, that watches sporting events they generally have no interest in just because someone sticks a fancy title onto it. There are a few lads I play football with who don't really support anyone, one who can barely even hold a 30 second conversation on football before you've mentioned a name that he doesn't recognise, my dad is quite a keen golfer when time allows but I've never once seen him sit down and watch any golf on TV for a prolonged period of time.

Participating trumps spectating everytime.

Can't say as I know of anyone, for definite at least, that watches sporting events they generally have no interest in just because someone sticks a fancy title onto it. There are a few lads I play football with who don't really support anyone, one who can barely even hold a 30 second conversation on football before you've mentioned a name that he doesn't recognise, my dad is quite a keen golfer when time allows but I've never once seen him sit down and watch any golf on TV for a prolonged period of time.

I didn't say no interest, i feel there is added interest if an event has more importance attached to it as with those sports mentioned. Take the Olympic games people will watch the show jumping just to see if their country can add a medal to the tally rather than because they enjoy the event.

I'd much rather watch American Football, Rugby and many of the winter sports than play them. There's something special about watching sport at the highest level being played well.

As for your other statement, that's daft, Paddy in the golf thread clearly doesn't play golf very often (if at all) yet has an active interest in the game and the cricket thread is a complete antidote to your statement.

Well, I ride my bike to the pub, but never watch the Tour de France - work that one out!

Similarly I like to lie in the sun doing fuck all for hours on end, but I can't stand cricket.

I'm completely anti-violence but love watching top class Boxing.

I used to play golf regularly. I was shit but played as much as I could. Not so often now.

I'd much rather watch American Football, Rugby and many of the winter sports than play them. There's something special about watching sport at the highest level being played well.

As for your other statement, that's daft, Paddy in the golf thread clearly doesn't play golf very often (if at all) yet has an active interest in the game and the cricket thread is a complete antidote to your statement.

I never said people of the opposite mindset didn't exist, I just said that within the people I know it doesn't tend to happen.

Well i've really enjoyed watching this World Cup, no the quality and skill of the football will never be as good as the mens, but it shouldn't ever be compared to the mens either.

Well done USA and good luck to England tonight :)

Back