• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

RIP, but I'd be doing my dearly departed Gramps a huge disservice if I didn't let it be known that pretty much everyone he knew in WW2 couldn't stand her. Still, many could and I'm sure she'll be missed by them.
My maternal grandfather had similar feelings.

To Pablo and leeds, how come they and many others couldn't stand her? Just curious as I've no idea what she had done to make people feel this way ?

I must say that I find the song emotional but think I always did but especially now she's gone. I only said on VE Day how amazing it was that she was still with us in 2020.

RIP Sweetheart

To Pablo and leeds, how come they and many others couldn't stand her? Just curious as I've no idea what she had done to make people feel this way ?
I haven't a clue. Probably the same reason as I have for not liking Elvis or Queen (neither have done anything to me) and others, it's personal taste I suppose...

My Gran didn’t like her either. Though, to be fair, she didn’t really like anyone.

Apparently all the song did was make the soldiers abroad homesick, whether that's just an urban myth or not I don't know.

Apparently all the song did was make the soldiers abroad homesick, whether that's just an urban myth or not I don't know.
Not quite IIRC. It was suggested (in Parliament even) that the lyrics might make servicemen feel homesick. I don't think there was any compelling evidence to support the hypothesis though.

Gramps said that he liked her but her music droned on. He did mention about the homesickness, along the lines of "I was away for 3 years, I didn't want to hear her going on about the white cliffs of fucking Dover".

Carlos Ruiz Zafón, shocking news. Only 55, he's written some superb books..

Ennio Morriconi composer(or should that be decomposer now?) aged 91

Ennio Morriconi composer(or should that be decomposer now?) aged 91

A total legend. I served him dinner at a private function back in 2013 when I worked in a nice hotel.

He had been playing a gig in town which finished up around 11pm, got back to the hotel at midnight and then we served him and his entourage dinner. Even back then he looked frail and old. I was amazed he was able to drink red wine and stay up til 2am. His son was his manager and insisted we address Ennio as 'Maestro'.

A huge loss in the music world.

The Washington Post were really struggling with a headline and a way to show everyone they have heard of his work. Love to the see rejected ones because they went with

"Ennio Morricone, Italian composer who wrote ‘ah-ee-ah-ee-ah’ theme of ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,’ dies at 91"

The Washington Post were really struggling with a headline and a way to show everyone they have heard of his work. Love to the see rejected ones because they went with

"Ennio Morricone, Italian composer who wrote ‘ah-ee-ah-ee-ah’ theme of ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,’ dies at 91"

I can't believe he wasn't credited for 'wah-wah-wahhhhh'.

Big Jack was an absolute giant of a man. Anyone who ever played for him loved him. Hilarious fella too. Very sad news though he'd not been well for a while.

Obviously inevitable over time but that means over half of the 66 team have left us. only Cohen, Hurst, B Charlton, Stiles and Hunt left and Nobby has had severe dementia for a number of years

Back