• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

Ray Clemence, 72. Shame, was obviously very highly regarded by how many England managers kept him on.

That's sad, growing up in the 70's I didn't know of any other Liverpool keeper.

Ray Clemence, 72. Shame, was obviously very highly regarded by how many England managers kept him on.
Without Shilton he would have got far more England caps - never thought that there was much to choose between them really

Sad news. The goal through his legs by Scotland brought Shilton closer. I preferred Clemence. Feeling very old as these icons disappear

Definitely the most famous (out of two) Skegness born celebrity, the other is graham bonnet singer on rainbows two most famous hits( both of which were written by russ Ballard)

So sad to hear of the passing of Ray Clemence - only 72.

Saw him play for Liverpool in the 70s , a very fine keeper.

Agreed, compared to nowadays. now look at our choices

Seaman, Martyn and Flowers were our three at France 98. They'd all be first choice by an absolute mile now.

It's weird how it's circular, we can't find centre halves now, again the 90s/00s choices were incredible by comparison. But we're now overflowing with attacking options and oddly right backs.

England were blessed with keepers in the seventies. Shilton Clemence and the hugely underrated Joe Corrigan.
Phil Parkes too , just not our Phil Parkes!
Chris Woods early 90's was an excellent goalkeeper who is often forgotten and Robinson in his early Leeds days in the 00's looked a real prospect until that goal in Croatia!

Chris Woods wasn't very good. Certainly not by the time he took over from Shilton.

Seaman and Martyn were far better than him.

Chris Woods wasn't very good. Certainly not by the time he took over from Shilton.

Seaman and Martyn were far better than him.
I forget youre that much younger than me. Woods was awesome in this league cup final 1978 and as an 18 year old was destined for great things. 43 England caps too. No gloves in those days either!

He may well have been good in the 70s and 80s, I mean he played for decent clubs and won a fair bit.

But he became first choice for England in 1990 and by then he was definitely not a particularly good keeper. He got in because it was supposed natural succession yet he was nothing like the best option. Arsenal won the league in 1991 with Seaman in nets and they let in 18 goals all season. At the same time Martyn was the first ever £1m keeper and deservedly so, he was consistently excellent.

Woods was on the drift so much that he wasn't even first choice for Sheffield Wednesday within a year of his last England appearance. Cost Wednesday the cup final too with an awful attempt at a save off Linighan's header.

Seaman was great but he is two years younger and was coming into his own when Woods was on the wane. Martyn was good but only managed 23 England caps. I just don't see how that makes Woods not very good when his record stands scrutiny with Martyn.

Like I say, Woods was first choice from around 1990 to 1993, he wasn't very good at that time and was as good as finished shortly afterwards. Seaman was already better than him then. We rewarded Woods for sitting on the bench behind Shilton for years which was stupid, he wasn't the best keeper available, not by a long shot.

I don't see what Martyn's cap tally has to do with it? He couldn't displace Seaman who was an excellent keeper for years, probably the world's best for a short period in the mid 90s. You can only play one keeper at a time.

Woods got the gig for time served, principally because Shilton should have been packed off at least 4 years before he was.

I always thought Clemence was the better keeper and not being a massive educationally challenged xenophobic prick gives him the win on the person front as well

Yes I get that. Seaman 75 caps Woods 43 caps Robinson 41 caps Martyn 23 caps, Flowers 11 caps basically England's post Shilton keepers. I just don't see how that makes Woods awful when he betters all but seaman in that group in terms of caps.

Now if you start on Scott Carson it's a different story. Ben Foster is a little unlucky in terms of ability but he's a cunt so deserves bugger all.

Back