• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

Another sharp reminder of how life moves so fast. I remember him signing for us as it was quite the signing at the time. Tipped as a future full England international but never really got a look in. Superb keeper and the saves against QPR are still fresh in my mind. I was also at Newport when he played against us and he got a good reception. RIP Paul.

He lodged not far from where I live, Emlyn Hughes used to pick him up in a massive BMW, reg EH ***, can’t remember the numbers.

Former Bond, Eastenders, dr Who, etc actress Pamela Salem, 80

Stuart Organ, who played Mr Robson in Grange Hill, amongst other roles.

Another sharp reminder of how life moves so fast. I remember him signing for us as it was quite the signing at the time. Tipped as a future full England international but never really got a look in. Superb keeper and the saves against QPR are still fresh in my mind. I was also at Newport when he played against us and he got a good reception. RIP Paul.
Been a bit late posting `about Paul Bradshaw (looking after my grand-daughter yesterday).

Spot on Squeak - he was by far the best keeper at Wolves in the 70s and was in a rung of around 4-5 keepers outside the top 2 in Shilton and Clemence (English ones I‘m referring to) and like a few others never had a chance of a look in.

Unlike today, English keepers in the 60s and 70s were the best in the world - almost half of the old First Division’s were of a very good standard ie international class, of which Bradshaw was one of them.

Although I loved Lofty (Phil Parkes) he could not be rated as a top keeper compared to the standards of the time. If Bradshaw had played for Wolves in the early 70s it might have led to a bit more success.

Unfortunately when he did play for Wolves from the late 70s to the early 80s, with the exception of one season 79/80, the team was a mid to lower table team but such was his ability that there were numerous games where his saves etc either kept Wolves in the game or ensured they got points. He won the club’s player of the season in 80/81and 81/82.

RIP big fella.

Last edited:
Saw him live in Hobsons Choice playing Charles Laughton's part, he was really good

Stan Bowles has passed away, aged75

Stan Bowles R.I.P.

A Different World back then:

Stan The Man would breeze into the Queen’s Tavern in South Africa Road about half an hour before the 3 pm kick-off, after popping into the corner shop to buy a packet of fags.

He would smoke the first of those cigarettes for luck, down his pint, then stop at the adjacent betting shop to place his bets for the day’s races. He would make it to the home dressing room too late for the manager’s team talk but just in time to pull on his kit and boots and run last out of the tunnel. To roars of acclamation from the crowd.

Whether or not there was a break in play he would drift towards the touchline shortly before half time and call out to a couple of regular fans close to the home dug-out, who would tell him which nag had won the 3.30 at somewhere like Haydock Park.

That would be repeated during the second half for information on more of the day’s races. After the post-match interviews – always jocular affairs win or lose on the gee-gees or in the game -we would reconvene at the pub. Then he would be off carousing through Saturday night with Don Shanks, his team-mate and flat-mate. Perhaps via a punter’s house call at the nearest dog track.

Copied and pasted from The Mail online.

Would be in the top 10 players I saw in the 70s - fabulous footballer and a terrific character and maverick of the game.

RIP

One of the more colourful and entertaining footballers of the seventies. Loved watching him on MOTD.

Stan Bowles R.I.P.

A Different World back then:

Stan The Man would breeze into the Queen’s Tavern in South Africa Road about half an hour before the 3 pm kick-off, after popping into the corner shop to buy a packet of fags.

He would smoke the first of those cigarettes for luck, down his pint, then stop at the adjacent betting shop to place his bets for the day’s races. He would make it to the home dressing room too late for the manager’s team talk but just in time to pull on his kit and boots and run last out of the tunnel. To roars of acclamation from the crowd.

Whether or not there was a break in play he would drift towards the touchline shortly before half time and call out to a couple of regular fans close to the home dug-out, who would tell him which nag had won the 3.30 at somewhere like Haydock Park.

That would be repeated during the second half for information on more of the day’s races. After the post-match interviews – always jocular affairs win or lose on the gee-gees or in the game -we would reconvene at the pub. Then he would be off carousing through Saturday night with Don Shanks, his team-mate and flat-mate. Perhaps via a punter’s house call at the nearest dog track.

Copied and pasted from The Mail online.
How would they know who won the horse races? Radio?

Back