• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The return of Doyle

“Personal motivational is the hardest,” said the forward. “Especially in League One, I found that difficult.

I don't particularly have an issue with this. A player that has spent all of his career in the Prem/ Championship struggled to get up for League 1. I think he's been too naive / honest in his comment, but other than that I think it is understandable. We are paying him £40k per week, but in reality it doesn't stop a player from thinking "I don't want to be playing at this level". Although ironically it's exactly the reason why he was. For whatever reason Doyle wasn't and still is isn't ostracised, making hin unique from the rest of the high earners.

When I work, I get really well paid. I'm very lucky that my job when I do it, is highly lucrative.
But unless I'm a really different kind of beast, the parallel I'm presenting is about average I think.

I love my job, because the work is nearly always interesting, very challenging, frequently yields great results, and is hugely enjoyable, which kind of makes it 'money for old rope' sort of thing.
But just occasionally instead of the interesting, challenging stuff, I get asked to deliver shitty programmes like, 'Accurate Minute Taking' or Business Report Writing' and stuff like that.

I find it really hard to get motivated to deliver those boring types of programmes. I really do. I prepare just the same, it just doesn't light me up, it's really hard to generate the slightest bit of any fucking enthusiasm at all.
The fact that someone is going to pay me between €450 and €600 a day for it, makes not the slightest bit of difference. Not one bit of difference.
I'll be professional, I'll get it done, and the feedback and evaluations are usually very good, but it's such a fucking grind.

So it kind of winds me up when a remark like, "“Personal motivational is the hardest,” said the forward. “Especially in League One, I found that difficult", reported in whatever context, that so many intelligent people fly off and say stuff like, 'Fuck him if he can't get motivated on £42,000 a week' or variances of that etc etc.

Just what the fuck does it matter how much he gets paid?
If the work is a grind, getting well paid for it, doesn't make it any less of a grind!

At no time has he ever slagged off the club, come to work drunk, or any of that other shit that marked out the others, he's just had that one remark pounced on and has been vilified to the highest level for it.
Jackett, apparently our saviour and prophet, has said, 'his attitude in training has been exemplary, he's got his head down and done everything I've asked of him', but there still seems to be guys on here who choose to ignore on this occasion our wise old man at the helm and whilst not attending any practice or training sessions seem to have the inside track on Jackett and for £42,000 a week - a contract offered to him when times were completely different - still think he's stealing a living.

In the mad and completely out of step world that football is, when players can 'earn' £250,000 a week, and probably a lot more in the months to come, this is a truly offensive line if I've ever seen one.

I do agree that McCarthy probably broke Doyle, and that the last year or so he wasn't anywhere near where he could be, but, he's kept his head down, seemingly come from the dead group, trained hard enough, displayed whatever character he has done to impress Jackett enough to put him on the bench and even put him on for game time, tells me I'm to be more impressed by Jackett and Doyle than some guys on here.

Last edited:
My issue is that he's on 42k a week yet couldn't hit a barn door in League 1. He was a bit naive saying the motivational stuff but I can understand it. I'd understand it more if he had found it too easy but he clearly did not.

He's not good enough to be our back up but we will have to make do until we sign one.

I couldn't give a shit what he's on. He's not good enough for Wolves. He wouldn't justify £5k a week. As YW, his comments about been unmotivated in just ridiculous when he is not good enough for that level

If the work is a grind, getting well paid for it, doesn't make it any less of a grind!

I couldn't disagree more there Roy. Pay me £42k per week and I'll sit and stare at the wall for twelve hours a day.

When I work, I get really well paid. I'm very lucky that my job when I do it, is highly lucrative.
But unless I'm a really different kind of beast, the parallel I'm presenting is about average I think.

I love my job, because the work is nearly always interesting, very challenging, frequently yields great results, and is hugely enjoyable, which kind of makes it 'money for old rope' sort of thing.
But just occasionally instead of the interesting, challenging stuff, I get asked to deliver shitty programmes like, 'Accurate Minute Taking' or Business Report Writing' and stuff like that.

I find it really hard to get motivated to deliver those boring types of programmes. I really do. I prepare just the same, it just doesn't light me up, it's really hard to generate the slightest bit of any fucking enthusiasm at all.
The fact that someone is going to pay me between €450 and €600 a day for it, makes not the slightest bit of difference. Not one bit of difference.
I'll be professional, I'll get it done, and the feedback and evaluations are usually very good, but it's such a fucking grind.

So it kind of winds me up when a remark like, "“Personal motivational is the hardest,” said the forward. “Especially in League One, I found that difficult", reported in whatever context, that so many intelligent people fly off and say stuff like, 'Fuck him if he can't get motivated on £42,000 a week' or variances of that etc etc.

At no time has he ever slagged off the club, come to work drunk, or any of that other shit that marked out the others, he's just had that one remark pounced on and has been vilified to the highest level for it.
Jackett, apparently our saviour and prophet, has said, 'his attitude in training has been exemplary, he's got his head down and done everything I've asked of him', but there still seems to be guys on here who choose to ignore on this occasion our wise old man at the helm and whilst not attending any practice or training sessions seem to have the inside track on Jackett and for £42,000 a week - a contract offered to him when times were completely different - still think he's stealing a living.

In the mad and completely out of step world that football is, when players can 'earn' £250,000 a week, and probably a lot more in the months to come, this is a truly offensive line if I've ever seen one.

I do agree that McCarthy probably broke Doyle, and that the last year or so he wasn't anywhere near where he could be, but, he's kept his head down, seemingly come from the dead group, trained hard enough, displayed whatever character he has done to impress Jackett enough to put him on the bench and even put him on for game time, tells me I'm to be more impressed by Jackett and Doyle than some guys on here.

He was last good FOUR seasons ago. Since then he has barely even done his job, and then said he doesn't feel motivated. Well my fucking heart bleeds for him. Stealing a living.

You work on your own don't you Roy?

If your performance was shite you wouldn't be hired would you? Yet Doyle has no worries in that regard. The staggering lack of self awareness from Doyle is rightly frustrating people. At no point as he acknowledged he's a shite footballer and his play contributed to the club playing at the level it is/ was. To blame motivation is pathetic, nothing to do with money but sheer professionalism. And his comments belie a lack of professionalism, keeping your head down and being quiet is not being professional. Admitting your mistakes and trying to rectify them is. He clearly has not done this.

If he wasn't Irish you wouldn't give a shit. When he's gone nobody else will either.

That's the only bit you took from my whole post? Guess my point is lost, unless of course you're just winding people up about the genial Irishman? ;)

To me the biggest surprise was that Doyle got time on the pitch. So he is either back in KJ's plans, or being put in the shop window.

To me the biggest surprise was that Doyle got time on the pitch. So he is either back in KJ's plans, or being put in the shop window.

It proves we are short of a striker - another transfer striker cock up. I assume we are waiting for 93 days until the playoff final before we bring someone in on loan.

I've got a very low opinion of Kevin Doyle but I applauded him onto the pitch and sang his name because he was wearing Old Gold & Black. I was willing him to score the same way I was with Leon every time he played for us. It's just one of those things about our support, I doubt many of the fans cheering him today actually think he's a good footballer or have necessarily forgotten about his disrespectful comments and pathetic form. It's just the way it is at Wolves, he was always going to be applauded on, no reason to get worked up about it really.

On to his actual performance I think the comments about him not trying were a bit unfair, I thought he just looked a bit unfit as he's not played for a long time. He was fairly crap when he did get the chance to get a few touches though, once again struggling to hold the ball up (which is the one thing he's still supposed to be good at) under the attentions of Broadfoot and Arnason, easily the worst centre back pairing I've seen at this level for years. The missed chance at the end sums him up perfectly, he's supposed to be an experienced player but it didn't even occur to him to gamble on Rajiv's lovely low cross. He just doesn't have that poachers instinct and injuries have robbed him of the deceptive pace, stamina and tenacity which used to make up for his obvious lack of quality.

He kept us up in season one, and was pretty important in season two. His impact has paid for the length of his contact, a few times over. Yep, he's been shit since, but he had enough credit in the bank. If I saw him I'd shake his hand. Not on the same planet as joh or Rojo.

He kept us up in season one, and was pretty important in season two. His impact has paid for the length of his contact, a few times over. Yep, he's been shit since, but he had enough credit in the bank. If I saw him I'd shake his hand. Not on the same planet as joh or Rojo.

This

He kept us up in season one, and was pretty important in season two. His impact has paid for the length of his contact, a few times over. Yep, he's been $#@! since, but he had enough credit in the bank. If I saw him I'd shake his hand. Not on the same planet as joh or Rojo.

This for me also

Agree completely.

Some people have very short memories.

Back