• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The return of Doyle

I remember him rolling over without a fight 3 seasons in a row.

He isn't in the Johnson / O'Hara level of disgrace, but the good he did was a very long time ago. Since then he has been picking up a princely sum every week to deliver nothing. If people wanted to cheer him onto the field, fair enough. That is their prerogative. For the benefit of the club I would rather have seen a player with a future here get a run out in a game where we were comfortable.

Why not put Kieta on the bench. The kid may not have any first team experience, but did Robbie Keane when he made his debut..

Why not put Kieta on the bench. The kid may not have any first team experience, but did Robbie Keane when he made his debut..

Clearly don't feel he is ready for the role required at the moment. Wouldn't say it was about experience, KJ has put the kids in when he has felt they are ready for the challenge

First things first - I didn't want to see Doyle in a Wolves shirt again, he's shown he's not good enough. Also - and I said this to Aiki, Lycan and Darlo at the game - I was very surprised by his reception which I didn't think he's deserved.

But ultimately - I am not going to find fault with the South Bank for being that positive towards a player, even if it is slightly hypocritical, and even if that player hasn't earned it. I just though 'fair play' when they cheered him onto the pitch. Being 3-0 up at the time no doubt helped.

I've been critical of the South Bank on multiple occasions in the past but I can't criticise them for this. I actually quite enjoyed it in there on Saturday.

First things first - I didn't want to see Doyle in a Wolves shirt again, he's shown he's not good enough. Also - and I said this to Aiki, Lycan and Darlo at the game - I was very surprised by his reception which I didn't think he's deserved.

But ultimately - I am not going to find fault with the South Bank for being that positive towards a player, even if it is slightly hypocritical, and even if that player hasn't earned it. I just though 'fair play' when they cheered him onto the pitch. Being 3-0 up at the time no doubt helped.

I've been critical of the South Bank on multiple occasions in the past but I can't criticise them for this. I actually quite enjoyed it in there on Saturday.

On this forum there are a lot of people, myself included, who have a pop at some fans for their treatment of players so we really can't be having a go at them for being nice to Doyle and showing support. Anyone suggesting he should have been boo'd (yeah you PADDY) needs a slap.

On this forum there are a lot of people, myself included, who have a pop at some fans for their treatment of players so we really can't be having a go at them for being nice to Doyle and showing support. Anyone suggesting he should have been boo'd (yeah you PADDY) needs a slap.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but after his reception Doyle gave the South Bank the thumbs up. Nice touch. I much prefer all this OTT love-in stuff compared to brainless booing and abuse.

I'm trying hard to move on from this but struggling not to bite, my input on the matter concerns those close to me who used to give him dogs abuse when he was playing, particularly the few games he played in League 1.
Yet on Saturday they were singing his name at the top of their voice.

I'm trying hard to move on from this but struggling not to bite, my input on the matter concerns those close to me who used to give him dogs abuse when he was playing, particularly the few games he played in League 1.
Yet on Saturday they were singing his name at the top of their voice.

I got where you were coming from.

That said, they had 3 choices on Saturday 1) Call him a cunt 2) Support him or 3) Keep silent.

I guess the scoreline when he came meant Option 2 happened due to beinin a good mood. 3) might have happened if we were 1 up and 1) would have happened if we were losing. Football fans are generally fickle, remember JoH got a half decent reception on his brief return to the 1st team

I don't think its good man management for Doyle to suddenly leap frog other players who have been warming the bench most of the season or others who were excluded from the squad on saturday. Doyle just should not figure in this new Wolves.

Doyle is under contract and available to play - he must be doing enough in training and demonstrating the right attitude for him to be considered by Jackett. Whether he can actually add anything will only be determined by playing time but when we're playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday it would be unrealistic and short sighted to rely on just Dicho and Afobe especially given the former's recent injury concerns.

If we can get someone better on loan, fine.

I have no problem with Doyle playing for us again or with the South Bank cheering him. We've had enough poisonous atmospheres in the past, thanks.

But God knows how Michael Jacobs must feel, seeing a guy who has been frozen out for a year leapfrog him into the team. Yes, I know they are different players but could Jacobs not have come on for Dicko instead? I doubt he'd have been any worse than Doyle, who by the sounds of it, failed to make any impact at all.

Don't see how Doyle has "leapfrogged" anyone. He's the only bench forward we've got. IMO you can't jump ahead of someone in the pecking order if they're not competing for your same position.

I'd rather see Keita or Reid there, or McAlinden recalled. I have no problem with Doyle on a personal level (the 'motivation' quote seems a bit twisted to me) but he is a terrible footballer these days, he offers less than nothing.

When McAlinden was here, he was on the bench, with very occasional roles out wide.
I'd prefer he stay out on loan getting games in his preferred position tbh.
I can see your point in Keita. Isn't Reid a midfielder?
As previously mentioned, surprised Jacobs was overlooked for him.

Reid is a forward. If McAlinden's role was solely to back up Dicko and Afobe - so whenever he came on, he was down the middle - that has to be a better option than Doyle. One might be a player for us in the future and one won't. If Doyle came on in every single game for the rest of the season I doubt he'd have five shots. He is shit.

It's not like McAlinden isn't getting game time atm though. We recalled him earlier in the season and it did him no good at all, I'd rather we left him where he was so he could develop in his own time.

KJ's comments after the game suggest to me that he doesn't really rate Doyle. When asked why he played him he said that we needed more forwards and that Doyle was experienced, worked hard, etc. Hardly a glowing report. If Doyle sorts out this move to America tomorrow we'd have no qualms releasing him and putting Keita on the bench until we can find someone else on loan.

Don't see how Doyle has "leapfrogged" anyone. He's the only bench forward we've got. IMO you can't jump ahead of someone in the pecking order if they're not competing for your same position.
We didn't have to play with two forwards though.

There were other options, like two attacking midfielders (i.e Jacobs and Henry) supporting Afobe in a virtual 4-3-3.

We didn't have to play with two forwards though.

There were other options, like two attacking midfielders (i.e Jacobs and Henry) supporting Afobe in a virtual 4-3-3.

I get what you're saying but given we won 5-0 I'm not sure it's right to question the setup.

Back