• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2016/17

Nando

PTG Cup Winner 2013
Reaction score
First Team

INJURED

GK Carl Ikeme, Andy Lonergan

DF Dominic Iorfa, Conor Coady, Matt Doherty, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Danny Batth, Kortney Hause, Richard Stearman, Mike Williamson, Silvio

CM Romain Saiss, Jack Price, George Saville, Dave Edwards, Lee Evans

AM Helder Costa, Ivan Cavaleiro, Ben Marshall, Bright Enobakhare, Connor Ronan, Jordan Graham, Michal Zyro

ST Andi Weimann, Jón Daði Böðvarsson, Nouha Dicko, Joe Mason, Paul Gladon

U21's & U18's

GK Harry Burgoyne, Jack Ruddy, Michael Sibley, Rory Brown, Harry Beasley

DF Aaron Simpson, Hakeem Odoffin, Aaron Hayden, Regan Upton, Connor Johnson, Ryan Leak, Anthony Breslin, Ben O'Hanlon, Brandon Ball, Cameron John, Nyeko Sinclair, Adam Osbourne, Tom Bexton, Ryan Giles, Dion Sanderson, Joel Whittingham, Josh Hesson,

MF Christian Herc, Morgan Gibbs-White, Ryan Rainey, Will Randall, Nicu Carnat, Daniel Armstrong, Dan McKenna, Conor Levingston, Brad Lindsey, Joe Delacoe, Owen Eggington, Akeel Rehman, Sam Phillips, Bradley Carr, Ryan Giles, Dan McKenna, Elliott Watt

ST Niall Ennis, Donovan Wilson, Duckens Nazon, Jordan Allen, Dominic Moan

TRANSFERS

IN

Andy Lonergan (Fulham) - Nominal fee
Helder Costa (Benfica) - Season long loan (now permanent £13m)
Joao Teixeira (Benfica) - Season long loan
Jón Daði Böðvarsson (Kaiserslautern) - Undisclosed fee
Silvio (Atletico Madrid) - Free
Prince Oniangue (Stade Reims) - £2m
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (Manchester United) - Season long loan
Ola John (Benfica) - Season long loan
Jack Ruddy (Bury) - Undisclosed fee
Paul Gladon (Heracles) - £1m
Romain Saiss (Angers) - Undisclosed fee
Richard Stearman (Fulham) - Season long loan
Ivan Cavaleiro (Monaco) - Undisclosed fee
Duckens Nazon (Kerala) - Free
Andi Weimann (Derby) - end of season loan
Ben Marshall (Blackburn) - Undisclosed fee

OUT

Bjorn Sigurdarson (Molde) - Free
Razak Boukari (Chateauroux) - Free
Aaron McCarey (Ross County) - Free
Zeli Ismail (Bury) - Free
Liam McAlinden (Exeter) - Free
Tommy Rowe (Doncaster) - Free
Kevin McDonald (Fulham) - £1.25m
Rajiv van la Parra (Huddersfueld) - £750k
Ethan Ebanks-Landell (Sheffield United) - season long loan
Nathan Byrne (Wigan) - 500k
James Henry (Bolton) - Loan (January)
Conor Hunte (Released)
Prince Oniangue (Reims) - end of season
Ola John (Sub loan - Deportivo) - end of season loan
Jon Flatt (Barrow) - end of season loan
Ross Finnie (Gloucester) - end of season loan
Joao Teixeria (Sub loan - Nottingham Forest) end of season
Jed Wallace (Millwall) - end of season loan
Harry Burgoyne (Barnet) - end of season loan

Last edited:
I imagine were classing Zyro as a striker aren't we?

A midfielder who can play across the front line, really.

Similarly, Enobakhare's "natural" position is as a number 10, I believe, but more in the sense of an advanced midfielder than a second striker (like Mason).

The remains of our first team frontline just underlines what a baffling job Ken did in the final weeks (well, throughout the season, but particularly then).

We now have what we would consider three first team strikers, one of whom in Bright has started one league game. The manager is now on record as saying to get the best out of Mason, we need to play him in a two and ideally get some kind of a physical option up alongside him. Dicko will be back for the start of the season barring any setbacks, but we do need some kind of backup. Notwithstanding that we'll almost certainly sign at least one striker, Bradley Reid is 21 in October. It's pretty much make or break for him next year, we might need to use him depending how things go. How can you give him 0 minutes in two no stakes games at the end of the season in those circumstances? When on the final day you're bringing on Le Fondre for 45 minutes who you're going to release in 48 hours?

He seems ok at developing defenders - some sensible use of the youngsters we've had at the back throughout his time here - but his development of forwards is rubbish. Liam McAlinden might never have been anywhere near good enough for Wolves but he had no bloody chance when stuck behind Leon Clarke, much as Bright's early progress has been stymied a bit by us deciding Grant Holt was a better option to sit on the bench for a couple of months.

I must add I don't really think Reid is good enough based on the few reserve games I've seen him play and Wilson/Collins are probably better bets for the future - and Ennis almost certainly is - but we had nothing to lose by giving him a go under no pressure and if he'd done ok in a couple of sub appearances then it would have given him some real encouragement ahead of the season and given us a clearer picture of where he is. As it is no sod knows.

yeah, we need Deano back to show the strikers what to do and develop them.... :)

When Holt arrived Bright was in the process of being an arse. So whilst the Holt signing was beyond shocking it didn't really do anything to Bright's progress, he did that himself

It doesn't make much difference seeing as he probably won't make it onto the pitch next season. Fucking MK thug.

When Holt arrived Bright was in the process of being an arse. So whilst the Holt signing was beyond shocking it didn't really do anything to Bright's progress, he did that himself

I'm not sure on the timeline - Bright came on at Derby (18th Oct) and was on the bench vs Brentford at home (21st Oct), then slipped out of the matchday squad for the next game vs Middlesbrough as we went back to one up top and Edwards playing British Bulldog in behind. We then signed Holt ahead of the Blues game the week after (think we signed him on the Friday...so 30th Oct) and the "AWOL" reports broke at the end of November with reports he hadn't been at the club since the middle of the month.

Perhaps all wasn't well before but it would not surprise me if signing Fatty McFat was the catalyst that made him thought fuck this. Regardless, it meant he wasn't in a matchday squad at all in November and December and that blob was.

im sorry i said Holt could be a decent addition with his power and aerial ability...really sorry, i was wrong

Holt wasn't a direct challenger for Bright though. He was the ultimate panic signing after failing to sign the fabled target man and then injuries leaving us without a Proper Plan A nevermind B.

Many things to moan about this season but Bright caused his own issues that took a long time to rectify.

If he's that arsey about competition, regardless of ability, when he's a 17 year old with no first team experience then his attitude needs a major overhaul for him to ever achieve anything.

If he's that arsey about competition, regardless of ability, when he's a 17 year old with no first team experience then his attitude needs a major overhaul for him to ever achieve anything.

Absolutely.

Or maybe he's just a 17 year old kid missing his family? Lets not be too hasty in judging a child who none of us have ever met.

Despite his indiscretion Ken has seen fit to give him 10 (?) appearances this season. He wouldn't have done that if he felt that he couldn't trust him.

At the time we signed Holt, Bright was sitting on the bench getting the odd minute here and there. The U21's at that point of the season were playing on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons so he wasn't playing for them either. He ended up playing more football because of the Holt signing than he was beforehand

Or maybe he's just a 17 year old kid missing his family? Lets not be too hasty in judging a child who none of us have ever met.

Despite his indiscretion Ken has seen fit to give him 10 (?) appearances this season. He wouldn't have done that if he felt that he couldn't trust him.

This, all day long.

Because he did what he did, he took himself out of the 1st team reckoning for a couple of months. Not making more appearances than he did had nowt to do with signing Holt or anything else, just his daft actions. Whatever his reasons he seems to have learnt the lessons, which is a great sign, and the club handled it well (despite Tim II having a 24hr cyber meltdown over it). All of that doesn't excuse him not being involved on the pitch in the last 2 games though.

Like Lycan said he's 17 and in a foreign country. That is fucking hard whoever you are and however much money you earn.

This is my go at a depth chart of the 24 first teamers listed in OP.
GK: Ikeme, Flatt
CB: Batth, Hause, Williamson, Ebanks-Landell
RB: Doherty, Iorfa
LB: Deslandes
DM: Coady, Saville
CM: Macdonald, Price, Evans
AM: Edwards
RW: Zyro, Henry, Wallace, Byrne
LW: Graham, Hunte
ST: Dicko, Mason, Enobakhare

Anyone else struggling to see a genuine first 11 there? Then you add that KMac might not be there plus injures and it's more confusing.

Having a go at a best eleven, not sure how balanced it exactly is though:
Ikeme
Iorfa-Batth-Hause-Doherty
McDonald*-Price
Zyro* -Edwards-Graham*
Dicko

*injured or leaving

So, following the release of the plethora of deadwood, we're left with the following for the forthcoming season:

First Team

Injured

GK Carl Ikeme, Jon Flatt

DF Dominic Iorfa, Matt Doherty Danny Batth, Mike Williamson, Kortney Hause, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Sylvain Deslandes

MF Jack Price, George Saville, Conor Coady, Kevin McDonald, Dave Edwards, Lee Evans, James Henry, Jed Wallace, Nathan Byrne, Jordan Graham, Michal Zyro, Conor Hunte

FW Nouha Dicko, Joe Mason, Bright Enobakhare

U21's & U18's

GK Harry Burgoyne, Michael Sibley

DF Aaron Simpson, Hakeem Odoffin, Aaron Hayden, Regan Upton, Connor Johnson, Ryan Leak, Anthony Breslin, Ben O'Hanlon, Conor Levingston, Brandon Ball, Cameron John, Nyeko Sinclair, Adam Osbourne

MF Conor Ronan, Ryan Rainey, Will Randall, Nicu Carnat, Daniel Armstrong, Brad Lindsey, Ross Finnie, Joe Delacoe, Christian Herc, Owen Eggington, Akeel Rehman, Sam Phillips

FW Bradley Reid, Donovan Wilson, Aaron Collins, Niall Ennis, Jordan Allen

We need at least 5 additions then. New Keeper new left back new striker and striking back up and new midfield. Lets take some bets what we will get shall we? That squad as is with a manager as is gets you a relegation fight IMHO. Not enough goals even when all are fit. Not enough midfield creativity even when all are fit and on form, or trying (Kmac). Keeper and back up are not good enough for a sustained promotion push. Defensively ok if Williamson plays but if he is injured.....

My guess at what Jackett would see as his first11 for the start of the season assuming Dicko and Williamson are fit and nobody is sold or bought would be probably be:

Ikeme

Iorfa
Batth
Williamson
Doherty

Wallace
Coady
Saville
Henry

Edwards

Dicko

Subs Flatt, Hause, EEL, Price, Evans, Mason, Bright

It's not terrible and would probably finish in a similar place to this year, but as we know it's the intent and how we play which is as important as who is on the pitch.

Left wing and centre forward are the first 2 positions I'd look to improve, along with a formation that didn't include Edwards. I'm hoping Evans can be the all round midfield player we need. I'd have a new keeper and left back as well, but don't see us signing either other than possibly as backup

Back