• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Star Wars Thread

Agree. Very fitting end and enjoyed the film massively more than the Last Jedi.

I thought it was decent but nothing more.

Bit too many cliched scenes and fan-wanking for me. But then I've never been a big Star Wars fan.

It was fookin ace. And I have been a massive Star Wars fan since opening night in 1977.

I hated it.

I'm almost heartbroken. I thought it was awful.

I hated it.

I'm almost heartbroken. I thought it was awful.
Really? Sorry to hear that, what didn't you like about it?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Really? Sorry to hear that, what didn't you like about it?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure where I'd even begin. It's a failure of a film almost in totality.

I'm not sure where I'd even begin. It's a failure of a film almost in totality.

Its very much in keeping with the order 2 in the series. Very reminiscent of number 6. As a film I thought it was good and wrapped it up well. The whole series adds nothing to Star Wars imo, but number 8 aside they’re entertaining. Interested to hear why it has got you so bothered.

Its very much in keeping with the order 2 in the series. Very reminiscent of number 6. As a film I thought it was good and wrapped it up well. The whole series adds nothing to Star Wars imo, but number 8 aside they’re entertaining. Interested to hear why it has got you so bothered.

Probably because TLJ is my favorite Star Wars film by a huge distance.

I must have seen a different film to the rest of you as I thought the film was horrific.

I agree with Alan that it is a failure... but then I also think TLJ was probably the worst of them all when it comes to story so I can only agree so far!

There is clear correlation between those who liked TLJ but thought RoS was shit, and vice versa. I'm in the second camp, thought TLJ was an extended Battlestar Galactica episode with a pointless heist chucked in, that didn't get started till the last act, but loved the feel good nostalgia of RoS. I'm an old(ish) bastard, and again, I think there is some correlation in this...

Went and say it monday. I'm no star wars uber geek (I only saw the original films when they were updated and re-released!) but I loved it. I also really liked TLJ...

Finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night. It has it's flaws but was enjoyable enough with a decent ending. It was FAR better than The Last Jedi. It was a 2 and a half hour long film that seemed to fly by which is always a good sign. The people I went with (older, first generation Star Wars fans) absolutely hated it, however! You need to take it as a fantasy film and not get too caught up in the Star Wars snobbery.

My overall gripe about the whole trilogy is that is seemed a lot messier than it could have been IMO. I'm probably wrong but it never felt like they all sat down at the beginning, wrote the general story for all three and then got on with it. They came across as films that had too many re-writes and changes as they were going along. Personally, I would have liked George Lucas to have co-written all three so it could have at least vaguely gone in whatever direction he had in mind originally.

I've seen TRoS twice now and would totally agree with all of that. Particularly the last paragraph - they've absolutely winged the whole thing - I really did feel that the big reveal at the very start of TRoS would have been better as a cliffhanger at the end of TLJ. Although I would have taken it away from Lucas - he did such a bad job with the prequels that it did need fresh minds behind these films.

It didn't impact my enjoyment of any of the sequel films - I've really enjoyed them. They all have their flaws but in terms of what I want a Star Wars film to be, all of them were a success for me. There is a lot of snobbery around Star Wars now which I guess is a symptom of such a hugely successful franchise - I've found some of the criticism to be downright bizarre!

Back