• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

We’re going to lose at least 2 of our best players. I’d say any 2 of Neto, RAN, Gomes and Cunha may leave. Plus Max. If we replace them with landfill championship players we will be a landfill Championship team again pretty quickly.
Hope you're wrong, I was hoping we'd just sell maybe Neto and Kilman, they'd bring plenty of funds in, whether we spend enough or any of it to improve the squad and first team remains to be see. I understand why you doubt that but if you're correct then yes we are on a downward spiral☹️

What gets me with the Brownhill link is its for a position we don't need and have depth for, why are they so interested in him?
Getting someone in on the cheap nice and early in case Gomes goes.

So which of our regular starters would be your priority to upgrade other than Dawson based on age not performances? Obviously any player we bring in should be challenging to start but what’s killed our season is lack of depth.
If this is our best 11, then anyone in bold
Sa
Semedo Kilman Dawson Toti RAN
Gomes Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Neto

New
Semedo New New RAN
Gomes Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Neto
New

Wolves are near the bottom of when we've used all 5 subs, but joint top (at least at time of Pub) of when we have made 4. People may not like it but the game has changed with the huge amount of options off the bench and we are currently not particularly well versed to do that. So Brownhill as "an option". I don't totally hate.

Wolves are near the bottom of when we've used all 5 subs, but joint top (at least at time of Pub) of when we have made 4. People may not like it but the game has changed with the huge amount of options off the bench and we are currently not particularly well versed to do that. So Brownhill as "an option". I don't totally hate.

I'd rather him to Traore tbh. If he's going to make it at Wolves, which I think is unlikely, it's going to be after getting a full season playing elsewhere

Totally, big ask being an inmediate contributor in the Prem at 22 when not particularly experienced. Feel like this is another downside of our squad. With better depth we could have himself and the two striker options already out playing regularly somewhere better levelled for them.

If this is our best 11, then anyone in bold
Sa
Semedo Kilman Dawson Toti RAN
Gomes Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Neto

New
Semedo New New RAN
Gomes Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Neto
New
Seems reasonable but getting two new CH would be a challenge. I certainly agree that if we want to go with a pair of CHs none of the current ones cut the mustard.

Not that I particularly believe the source, but it does seem likely that (even with his injuries) Neto will go this summer. I think the player himself wants a move, but I think we as a club have sort of put all our eggs in one basket with regards to him being the one that brings in the big fee.

The vultures do appear to be circling, though. I saw Arsenal linked with Joao Gomes yesterday.

Saudi is the only place I can see him going and us get the package we need, anywhere else will be a compromise

Given his injury record a couple of years in Saudi might not be a bad idea. It would make him very financially secure then he can choose where to play next just as Neves will.

I'd take another chunk of wedge off man city and one of their prospects

I'd take another chunk of wedge off man city and one of their prospects
Would be interesting to see how he gets on at a club like City. We're so used to seeing him in a counter attacking set up, but even Pedro has looked a little lost when we come up against teams where we have the majority of possession. Of course, for City, he'll have world class players in & around him, so completely different set of circumstances - but it would be interesting to see how that pans out.

Would be interesting to see how he gets on at a club like City. We're so used to seeing him in a counter attacking set up, but even Pedro has looked a little lost when we come up against teams where we have the majority of possession. Of course, for City, he'll have world class players in & around him, so completely different set of circumstances - but it would be interesting to see how that pans out.
I think he'd be fine, i think your last sentence is why. Man City should be able to work him into situations where he's 1 v1 more and not having to gallop half-way down the field on his own.

City are also slow to bring people through too. Look how differently Grealish now plays, they are good at identifying and then integrating players. The finances obviously help but you only need to look at how much Liverpool, Spurs, Everton spent at different periods without a clear plan or significant improvement to their sides or league finishes, to see it's not just about money to be successful.

He would, but that is why I mentioned Grealish, he went from free role and doing his own thing mostly to now being ingrained in what they want. This is where City have a financial advantage as they don't need to wait and see on Neto's further development and injury issues, can just purchase him and begin to make him work on their system whilst he plays fewer games initially like a lot of their signings seem to.

If we’re going to sell Pedro, let’s create a situation where we get property compensated with decent players/prospects in return.

Don’t bother with the money - firstly we won’t spend it. And, if we do, there’s nothing to suggest it’ll be spent over-wisely.

Far better to create a scenario with Arsenal/City where we might be able to look at players like Smith-Rowe or Oskar Bobb as parts of the deal. Unlikely, but depends how much they want him.

And I’m not talking Hoever-like exchanges, by the way, either.

Oskar Bobb is so far out of our league it’s untrue. Can’t imagine City let him go.

If we’re going to sell Pedro, let’s create a situation where we get property compensated with decent players/prospects in return.

Don’t bother with the money - firstly we won’t spend it. And, if we do, there’s nothing to suggest it’ll be spent over-wisely.

Far better to create a scenario with Arsenal/City where we might be able to look at players like Smith-Rowe or Oskar Bobb as parts of the deal. Unlikely, but depends how much they want him.

And I’m not talking Hoever-like exchanges, by the way, either.
Why would picking up other big clubs kids be "over wise" anyway? It'd also effect the profit from our sale?

Back