• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I’m happy with him as back up. He’s improved through the games he’s played I think though I think he’s still too easy to play through. I can see the sense in loaning Boubacar and having Doyle + a new CM to challenge Lemina and Gomes. Probably needs to be in a similar mould to Traore but better technically.
I think they want Brownhill. Somebody experienced, good tactically, can shoot from distance and comfortable around the opposition box.

I think they want Brownhill. Somebody experienced, good tactically, can shoot from distance and comfortable around the opposition box.
That wasn’t quite who I had in mind…! But that doesn’t surprise me. If we keep Lemina and Gomes I think I can stomach it but it’s not particularly ambitious obviously (which I guess we have to get used to)

I'm not planting a flag for Brownhill, but if you compare him to Doyle we'd have to amend our style of play less to accommodate him if he had to play a game instead of Lemina or Gomes. He's a better fit, which is what I was getting at earlier. 2 options in, Doyle sold, Traore out on loan, if Fosun are interested.

Last edited:
I’d rather keep Traore tbh
He's started 3 PL games this year. There's talent there, but he's as green now as he was when we signed him 18 months ago. You aren't knocking that off him playing another 3 games next year. I think he needs to go away, play 40 games at a decent standard and come back to be an option to replace Gomes if we sell him in the Summer of 25.

It's genuinely good to read we're aware of the basic need to get squad numbers to a minimum credible level (and thanks for the insight GFFH). Overall I'm finding it hard to accept the managed decline our mooted signings suggest and, basically, down in the dumps about a looming starting XI based around Doyle, Browhill and Che Adams. Be nice to think they genuinely were viewed as squad players, but I doubt it. Doubtless I need to move to the acceptance stage.

He's started 3 PL games this year. There's talent there, but he's as green now as he was when we signed him 18 months ago. You aren't knocking that off him playing another 3 games next year. I think he needs to go away, play 40 games at a decent standard and come back to be an option to replace Gomes if we sell him in the Summer of 25.
I thought he played well against Arsenal to be honest.

In the terms of back up CM, is Brownhill a significant up grade to Bouba?
Would we be better keeping him here and play him more often to knock the rough edges off/improve skill level rather than him sitting on someone's bench in the Championship? I'm not confident any of our players that have gone out on loan in recent years have got any benefit from it except maybe Mosquera.

I thought he played well against Arsenal to be honest.
So do I, he has the mobility to play that destroyer role trying to take Odegaard out of the game but his control, passing and positional awareness are all lacking to play in a 2 at the moment in my view. We are spoilt to a degree with Lemina and Gomes who are both, mobile, intelligent and decent with the ball at their feet. I'd want a watered down version of them to back them up so the compromise is quality rather than style/system when they aren't available.

Speaking to somebody over the weekend, the definite intention is to bulk the squad to around 23/24 next season.

Looking at 5 or 6 incomings and the likes of Mosquera and Chiquinho back.
Expecting Neto and Sarabia to leave. Hoping for another year at least from RAN and Joao Gomes but obviously depends if any big clubs come in with big bids.

Goalkeeper (Sa sold)
Right wing-back (Hoever loan)
Centre Mid (Traore loan)
Attacking midfielder
Two Strikers
So back 3 by the sounds of it.

Would we be better keeping him here and play him more often to knock the rough edges off/improve skill level rather than him sitting on someone's bench in the Championship? I'm not confident any of our players that have gone out on loan in recent years have got any benefit from it except maybe Mosquera.
Strategically why would GON play him in the league more next season than this? I wouldn't willingly play him, or anybody else for that matter, ahead of Lemina or Gomes, apart from in unusual weeks like this, so unless they get injured or suspended more next season he's playing the same amount.

In terms of your first paragraph, not especially, Traore has a higher ceiling, we are restricting the chance of him reaching that though by rarely letting him play football.

The loan did wonders for MGW and made us £30m, what's he go for without that, £5-10m?

It's the Fosun business plan isn't it? Bouba might well be a better option on the pitch than Brownhill, but he isn't going to increase his value when the majority of his time is spent sitting on the bench. If we can loan him somewhere and he plays 30 games, does well, his transfer value increases and he becomes a viable option for either using here when Gomes is inevitably sold, or he's sold for profit so we can reinvest. Brownhill is the cheap, low maintenance alternative that we use in the meantime while all that happens.

I don’t mind Brownhill but he’s not better than a single CM we have currently.

I’d rather keep our current group together and put the Brownhill wages towards a CB.

At times we've overused Lemina and Gomes imo which has lead to their form dropping a bit. Surely we should be using our bench better in the future. I'm not saying Bouba (or Doyle) are necessarily the answer but question whether Brownhill or such like will do much better and be the replacement Gaz will trust any more than what we have.
Ideally I'd love to see Bouba get a good loan and play plenty, not sure our recruitment is good enough to allow that.

Back