• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2023/24 - Everything Not Wolves

Meh, he made a bad move, realised it and left.

Couple of mitigating factors I would say:

1) Ronaldo becoming a freak around 2006, meaning Fergie set United up all around him and Rooney (and Tevez for that matter) had to sacrifice a fair bit of their natural game as a result

2) Never the same after getting injured vs Bayern in 2010 and rushing back for the World Cup

Aymeric Laporte not happy in Saudi...

Let's be honest, many of us have also come here not only for football. Many of us are happy with that [financial gain], but I am also looking for something beyond that is not the economic part. In terms of quality of life, I expected something different because in the end, here you spend three hours a day in the car. In Riyadh, you spend a lot of time in the car because of the traffic.

We are working on it every day, let's just say negotiating, to see if it improves a little because this is something new for them too. Having European players that already have a long career. Maybe they are not used to this and have to adapt to have a little more seriousness.

At the moment, I haven't thought about [leaving], but if I'm disappointed in such a short time, you wonder what to do.

That moment has not yet arrived, but in the future it could be if this dynamic continues.

I just love the idea that they'd somehow "negotiate" better traffic in Riyadh. Like, what?

Laporte does insinuate that the Saudis lied about or misrepresented what life would be like there. Nothing specific enough to be worth quoting beyond the traffic, though.

Has anyone been to Saudi/Riyadh? How does it compare to Dubai for example?

What about living their with unlimited money is so miserable?

I just love the idea that they'd somehow "negotiate" better traffic in Riyadh. Like, what?
You'd think they'd all be flying around in helicopters...

Friend of mine lived there when her doctor husband got a job out there, they hated every minute of it, she’s a very highly qualified nurse but couldn’t work out there because as a white women she couldn’t treat anyone as it wasn’t allowed, wasn’t allowed to walk anywhere on her own ended up being pretty much housebound and bored.

They stuck it out for 6 months or so then moved to Rwanda just in time for its civil war, ended up having to defend their field hospital because they were treating Houto or Tutsi patients and the other side wasn’t happy, she ended up being pretty handy with an AK47 and machine guns, hubby ended up treating her for gunshot wounds, she’s always said it was like Rourkes drift and more interesting than Saudi ever was.
She’s now chief training officer at DTMH ( disease, tropical medicine and hygiene) in London, sits opposite the world expert on Ebola and Marburg virus!

I agree with the sentiment, but it's clear they didn't know what they were getting into as they'd not looked much further than the $s
It's called due diligence, so again. Fuck em!

I actually do have some sympathy for the families of the players though. Cannot be fun for their wives/girlfriends if they've had to move out there to be with the players.

Hated it. But then I don’t like Dubai too.

Off back to both next month :(

I've worked in Damman, Saudi Arabia (stayed in Bahrain and commuted daily). I've worked and lived in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar.

Saudi Arabia is/was very monocultural and rigidly maintains traditions and customs from Islam and it's Bedouin heritage.

The UAE is far more multicultural with a large percentage of the population being ex-pats from around the world. The UAE certainly has a more liberal attitude in some aspects of life to the conservative Saudi.

It's called due diligence, so again. Fuck em!

I actually do have some sympathy for the families of the players though. Cannot be fun for their wives/girlfriends if they've had to move out there to be with the players.

Wives & Girlfriends do have the choice too if they really oppose the move.

Children on the other hand..

Back