• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I tried playing European Club Soccer off the Megadrive during lockdown. That was a childhood ruined inside 5 minutes.
Plenty of Genesis/Mega Drive games hold up tbf.

I still pop in Contra: Hard Corps (had a different title in Europe IIRC) and some old shmups.

Also the FM synth always hits.

All the Sonic games hold up because they are what they are. Streets of Rage and Shinobi obviously.

But playing video game football from 1992 is not good.

I can't stand that "Sensible Soccer/CM 01/02 are still the best" stuff. No they aren't, they're absolutely rubbish because it was decades ago. One barely passes as football and the other is ridiculously shallow and easy to beat.

Streets of Rage soundtracks were ones I often used to put on if I had no customers in.
Absolute bangers...

Streets of Rage 4 is as good as it is because it plays the same as the previous games. Sheer quality.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is a similar game, a proper nostalgia fest and is a great laugh. Played it with my daughter and my friend last weekend and had an absolute blast.

Streets of Rage 4 is as good as it is because it plays the same as the previous games. Sheer quality.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is a similar game, a proper nostalgia fest and is a great laugh. Played it with my daughter and my friend last weekend and had an absolute blast.
Dotemu publishes so many great games like this.

Kind of a different vibe from the original games but I'm very much looking forward to Metal Slug Tactics when that arrives. Also being published by Dotemu.

I played through Goldeneye on an N64 a couple of years ago, it’s so much more difficult than it used to be because the controls feel so weird and unnatural. It’s obviously not held up brilliantly but I still enjoyed it.

Started Witcher 3 again a couple of months ago determined to do everything in the game (including every question mark on the map). I only reached the end of the original story when I played it before. I'm now on Hearts of Stone and looking forward to Blood and Wine.

In my humble opinion, it is the the greatest RPG I have ever played. The writing and side quests are just superb.
Computer games don't come much more enjoyable than this.

One day I’ll get round to playing that - especially now there’s a ps5 upgrade

I bought Witcher 3 on release but never got very far with it. Now it's been enhanced for Series X I really must give it another go. Especially before Starfield arrives as I can imagine that will last me ages.

Oh and the new Zelda too.

Started Witcher 3 again a couple of months ago determined to do everything in the game (including every question mark on the map). I only reached the end of the original story when I played it before. I'm now on Hearts of Stone and looking forward to Blood and Wine.

In my humble opinion, it is the the greatest RPG I have ever played. The writing and side quests are just superb.
Computer games don't come much more enjoyable than this.
Great, great game.

Anyone with an Xbox Series X/S who has Game Pass absolutely MUST download and play Hi Fi Rush. It's absolutely sensational - released last week with absolutely no prior knowledge whatsoever - a secret in house project, and it's one of the best games I've played in years.

Think of Jet Set Radio mixed with Sunset Overdrive, but way better than either - it brought back great memories of those colourful, fun classic Dreamcast titles.

It's basically a platform beat em up but everything is set to the beat of the soundtrack. The combat is outstanding, with combos based on how close to the beat you can time your attacks, and as you go through the different levels you learn new moves and gain special moves from other characters you meet. It looks, sounds, feels and plays as good as any title I've played on the console thus far.

Took me around 10 hours in total and it was tremendous fun from start to finish. About time Microsoft released a decent first party game and the forthcoming 'big titles' such as Redfall and Starfield have a lot to do to emulate this.

@Langers it feels exactly like the spirit of the Dreamcast, that's a great shout and really encapsulates why it's so appealing to me.

Supposedly remakes/rereleases of Cosmic Smash and Space Channel 5 are in the works. I'm giddy over SC5 especially.

Sunset Overdrive actually made me feel ill playing it. Just too much going on

There's definitely a marmite quality to the vibe.

OG Tetris now available on Switch..

And there's a trailer for the next Zelda! The kids won't be going anywhere near their Switch for a good few weeks whilst I binge it on release. (Don't feel bad for them - I paid for the bloody thing)

GB and GBA games on Switch are massively overdue... as is Prime Remastered.

I'm a sucker, though. I'll pay for all of the above. GB and GBA are truly where my nostalgia lies, tbh.

Back