• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

He doesn't have to turn us into wine over those 23 games, just into a competent enough unit to finish above the drop zone

23 0-0 draws doesn't save us. We need to find a way to score goals regularly if we are going to get enough points.

Apart from Lopetugei himself , all the rest here don't look terribly happy .
They’ve just been told whilst Lopetugei will be living in leafy Tettenhall. They’ll all be sharing a house on the New Hampton Road.

Tony Roberts confirmed to be staying on as GK coach.

Also Fran Garagarza is an appointment by Lopetugei and not directly by Wolves. Wonder whose payroll he is on then?

Also Fran Garagarza is an appointment by Lopetugei and not directly by Wolves. Wonder whose payroll he is on then?
Think that is a good call. Despite the (IMV weird) dislike of him here, he is clearly well regarded and a good presence in the set up.

He was also responsible for the defensive improvements on set pieces when Lage came in. Had a quick look and we are 9th this year for goals conceded from set pieces so still work to do but better than I expected given the general haphazard defending so far this year. (See: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2022-2023)

It's badly worded, it means he's one of his staff as a coach would be rather than someone independent of him like a DoF would be. The club are paying him

Last edited:
"He is an appointment by Lopetegui as part of his staff, and not an appointment by Wolves, but the head coach has confirmed he will work alongside his son and performance analyst Daniel Lopetegui, on scouting and recruitment."

I'm think it's good, JL will have his own man looking into transfers.

Hopefully he'll have an influence on outgoing transfers too

Bit baffled by the comments starting to creep in reference being “OTT towards Lop”.

It’s been really, really shit for a while now. People are just happy to see someone competent in charge. I don’t think I’ve seen some massive OTT love in; just a lot of relief.

Then people are commenting on a lot of the videos being released because official Wolves are milking it a bit; and who can blame them after the last few months?!

If anything, I find it weirder that those showing an ounce of (restrained) positivity are being dug out.

Anyway, don’t mind that Roberts has been kept on. The players seem to like him. He was over promoted a bit to help with Davis & Collins because there was literally no one else here on the footballing side, but now that he’s going back to his normal day job, that’s fine by me.

It's badly worded, it means he's one of his staff as a coach would be rather than someone independent of him like a DoF would be. The club are paying him
Horrific piece of writing.

Having read the other pieces around today that don't include that line it seems as though Lopetegui has chosen his own staff and binned off the people appointed under Lage.

That's how most clubs are run. It's a toss up between continuity and control of the head coach.

Looks like Lopetegui has complete control (bar Roberts).

Looks like Lopetegui has complete control (bar Roberts).
Well his choice to keep him.

I am going to go with he will be here until the Summer then leave.

No problem for me with Roberts staying. He is quite a modern coach so should adapt to how JL wants his keepers set up.

23 0-0 draws doesn't save us. We need to find a way to score goals regularly if we are going to get enough points.

Of course. And I'd expect him to generate that through improvement of the current set-up and players, plus one or two signings who can contribute

Bit baffled by the comments starting to creep in reference being “OTT towards Lop”.

It’s been really, really shit for a while now. People are just happy to see someone competent in charge. I don’t think I’ve seen some massive OTT love in; just a lot of relief.

Then people are commenting on a lot of the videos being released because official Wolves are milking it a bit; and who can blame them after the last few months?!

If anything, I find it weirder that those showing an ounce of (restrained) positivity are being dug out.

Anyway, don’t mind that Roberts has been kept on. The players seem to like him. He was over promoted a bit to help with Davis & Collins because there was literally no one else here on the footballing side, but now that he’s going back to his normal day job, that’s fine by me.

I’m certainly happy he’s here, just concerned he’s been left too big a job by the previous bunch.
I won’t got overly excited until the results start to improve.

Any input on the discussions, Mark? Or just sticking with the laughing emoji’s again?

Bit of an issue with Roberts is he's now away with Wales until after the world cup final* so he will miss out on whatever JL is cooking up at Compton during the break.

*we (me and Padd) can all dream

Don't think it is too much of an issue, Sa is away anyway and the way the GK plays is such a small part of what we do anyway.

I'm not surprised the club are milking the appointment a bit. It's been massively negative around the club for months now, so i don't see a problem trying to create a bit of positivity. Like JL says, no looking to the past, just look to the future.
I'm not saying mistakes haven't been made, but if you keep dwelling on them you will start off on the back foot.

One thing about Lopetegui - if he is bringing over such a large team with him , which clearly could be seen as an investment , would he really leave then next Summer if we got relegated ?
To save our season is still a big ask , no matter who is in charge simply as we don't have goals in us .
If its a project then surely he has to stick it out .

Back