• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

To Hwang or not to Hwang? That is the question

Should we sign Hwang in Jan

• Total voters

Tony Towner

Reaction score
Strong start, but disappointing for the last few games and now injured for at least another month. £14m deal in place, which we apparently want to do in Jan. So simple question, would you sign him now or not?

I’d hold off. Need to see improvement over the second half of the season.

Yeah I don't think we need to rush to do it when we can use the rest or the season to evaluate

I would probably only sign him to turn him to another club for an immediate quick profit.

No rush, don't bother as the deal is in place. Would be stupid to do it now.

I don't think he's good enough either but he is an extra body in a squad.

He's also not Fabio which is a bonus.

Making a decision either way would be stupid when 1) he’s injured, 2) he’s not very good 3) we’ve got time to see the outcomes of 1 and 2.

But do I reckon I will have changed my mind on him come May? No.

I don’t think he is better than 3 of the forwards who are already here so I wouldn’t want to spend a sizeable amount of cash on a player who doesn’t get in the first team, is soon 26, and I’d hope we’d be improving that area of the pitch anyway knocking him further down the pecking order.

£14m isn’t a huge amount in the current market but it is for us with our current transfer strategy. It’s a similar fee to what we paid for Neto, and Palace for Eze and Edouard, Burnley for Cornet and I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples out there.

That money could be better served going on a promising young championship player or a mendes client than a 26 year old who likely won’t improve drastically, which IMO is what he would need to do.

I wouldn't do the deal now, but at £14m I'd say he's better value than Trincao at £25m, with Adama likely to be off in the Summer at the latest and Fabio showing no signs of being first team ready then even with another signing or 2, he'd be in and around the squad. I'd wait until the Summer and take a view based on the budget.

I wouldn't do the deal now, but at £14m I'd say he's better value than Trincao at £25m, with Adama likely to be off in the Summer at the latest and Fabio showing no signs of being first team ready then even with another signing or 2, he'd be in and around the squad. I'd wait until the Summer and take a view based on the budget.
I wouldn’t sign either at the moment but Trincao clearly has ability and has the potential to become a lot better as he adapts to the PL. Aside from a couple of composed finishes Hwang looks very mediocre and I definitely wouldn’t sign him now and unless he improves considerably, and I don’t think he will, not in the summer either unless it’s an Afobe type deal.
I’m hoping a new player in January and Neto returning mean neither get that much playing time and we are all comfortable sending both Hwang and Trincao back in the summer.

No benefit to doing it now, the deal is in place until the end of the season. He could get a double leg break next game and be out for a year.

I'd keep him around for the remainder of the loan with no intention of signing him. Hasn't done nearly enough since his hot period and still has too many moments where he doesn't look like he's seen a football before.

To sign him now would be rank stupidity with funds limited and us having critical needs elsewhere in the squad, so without further ado

Welcome Hwang!

If Hwang at that price is being rubbished then Trincao has surely got to be disregarded at double the price as well.
I wouldn't keep Trincao. He's shown virtually nothing except a few bits of skill. Less end product than Adama even.

Well Bruno in an interview yesterday without saying it loudly has rubbished all the wingers forms saying he still wants another. So we could be gambling on Neto returning to prime Neto whilst possibly losing three wingers in the summer.

Well Bruno in an interview yesterday without saying it loudly has rubbished all the wingers forms saying he still wants another. So we could be gambling on Neto returning to prime Neto whilst possibly losing three wingers in the summer.
Well he's right. None of them have contributed very much. How many goals and assists between them? Do they even have a goal apart from Hwang? Adama 1 assist, Podence 1 assist? That's a pathetic return in reality.

Well he's right. None of them have contributed very much. How many goals and assists between them? Do they even have a goal apart from Hwang? Adama 1 assist, Podence 1 assist? That's a pathetic return in reality.
Trincao will be very good one day, but as always for us not right now.

If Hwang at that price is being rubbished then Trincao has surely got to be disregarded at double the price as well.

Absolutely. Wouldn't lose any sleep if either left at the end of the season.

Wouldn’t worry about squad depth, we certainly don’t need to be spending £14m on a body. You end up not using them as they aren’t as good as what you’ve got. Basically the situation for the last 4 years where the managers don’t make changes because they don’t rate the replacements.

You can pick up bodies for cheap, loaned or even free anyway. Lookman, Gray, Townsend for example.

I don’t think it will come to that anyway. Bruno clearly wants someone this window, probably replacing Traore. Then Neto comes back to fill the squad place of one of the loanees and then we can sign someone else in the summer.or just use MGW or both if we switch formations.

Back