• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Trump

I've seen enough episodes of the X-Files to know FBI top brass are always up to no good...

There’ll be a smoking man in the shadows in the background somewhere

He has already admitted he will try all sorts of tactics to keep the parents in litigation for years and years. But ultimately it will probably cost him $100 million plus.
The conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $965m to people who suffered from his false claim that the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting was a hoax, a jury in Connecticut decided.

The verdict is the second major judgment against the Infowars host over his relentless promotion of the lie that the 2012 massacre never happened, and that the grieving families seen in news coverage were actors hired as part of a plot to take away people’s guns.

It came in a lawsuit filed by the relatives of five children and three educators killed in the mass shooting, plus an FBI agent who was among the first responders to the scene. A Texas jury in August awarded nearly $50m to the parents of another slain child.

The Connecticut trial featured tearful testimony from parents and siblings of the victims, who told about how they were threatened and harassed for years by people who believed the lies told on Jones’ show.

Strangers showed up at their homes to record them. People hurled abusive comments on social media. Erica Lafferty, the daughter of slain Sandy Hook principal Dawn Hochsprung, testified that people mailed rape threats to her house. Mark Barden told of how conspiracy theorists had urinated on the grave of his seven-year-old son, Daniel, and threatened to dig up the coffin.

Testifying during the trial, Jones acknowledged he had been wrong about Sandy Hook. The shooting was real, he said. But both in the courtroom and on his show, he was defiant.

He called the proceedings a “kangaroo court”, mocked the judge, called the plaintiffs’ lawyer an ambulance chaser and labeled the case an affront to free speech rights. He claimed it was a conspiracy by Democrats and the media to silence him and put him out of business.

Jones now faces a third trial, in Texas around the end of the year, in a lawsuit filed by the parents of another child killed in the shooting.

It is unclear how much of the verdicts Jones can afford to pay. During the trial in Texas, he testified he couldn’t afford any judgment over $2m. Free Speech Systems has filed for bankruptcy protection. But an economist testified in the Texas proceeding that Jones and his company were worth as much as $270m.

Him being subpoenaed is an interesting development, because on the one hand he just won't turn up, but on the other can he really run again if he doesn't?

Him being subpoenaed is an interesting development, because on the one hand he just won't turn up, but on the other can he really run again if he doesn't?
I think that's why it has been done

It's the 'Do you still beat your wife?' moment from the US political system.

Trump sub-poena order and he must also deliver up all his documents relating to the January 6 riots. He will appeal and ignore it , for sure.

Can't appeal a subpoena can you?
You can do what Bannon is doing, not turn up, be found guilty of it and then go through a series of ongoing appeals against the verdict. I don't think he can run for 2024 if he does that though

You can do what Bannon is doing, not turn up, be found guilty of it and then go through a series of ongoing appeals against the verdict. I don't think he can run for 2024 if he does that though
Or end up with 4 months in jail for contempt of Congress.

Oh good, he is running for President again.

Amazing that he can try to steal an election, incite an attack on the Capitol building and still be allowed to run for President again!

I’d like to say he won’t win as he hasn’t got the backing of Murdoch but everything is so fucked up that nothing surprises me anymore.

DeSantis' policies (such as they are) are very similar without the baggage. If he runs he'll beat him imo, but it'll be brutal while he does.

DeSantis' policies (such as they are) are very similar without the baggage. If he runs he'll beat him imo, but it'll be brutal while he does.
The more brutal the better! Hopefully DeSantis will have some baggage too which could make for great entertainment.

The Supreme Court to allow Trump's tax returns to be released.

Back