• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome PERMANENTLY to Wolves Helder Costa

[QUOTE)Costa is a joy to watch, and I'm really pleased he's signed for us.
Personally, I feel Peter Knowles is the best I've seen in a Wolves shirt, followed closely by Peter Broadbent.

I first saw Wolves play in 1953. Johnny Hancocks was dynamic with a ferocious shot, Peter Broadbent glided by players with ease and skill, Peter Knowles was clever and could run at defenders, and Waggy was a brilliant winger.... but Costa has all of their qualities. Fast feet, tremendous pace, and wonderful crosses with either foot. It's his balance and ball control at pace that marks him out. The way he goes past defenders reminds me of Broadbent but Peter could never have picked up the ball in his own penalty area and run the length of the field like Costa did on Saturday, gliding past defenders flailing in his wake. That would have been a wonder goal had he not had his ankle tapped just as he shot. The ref should really have given a foul just outside the area. So signing Costa is great news![/QUOTE]

jealous. I think we'd all have loved to have seen Wolves in the '53-'60 era and then later Knowles breaking through.

Costa looks the real deal and your point about ball control at pace is a killer. he doesn't overrun the ball like, say, a henri camara often did and defenders were shit scared of him. I think Robbie Keane had an amazing football brain and awareness when he was with us, for one so young, but certainly looking at Costa he has a lot of those attributes on top of the pace, shooting and finishing ability.

He's the most exciting player I've seen at the Molineux since Waggy (rose tinted specs?)...and he's far quicker than Waggy ever was

I only really saw Waggy towards the end of his time with Wolves, but from that and all the footage I have ever seen of him, his crossing and accuracy was generally excellent and the way he could cross a ball on the run, was as good as I have seen from any player. All of that of course was in the top division and Costa has yet to prove himself in the Premier League, so perhaps some, me included with hindsight, are getting a bit carried away after a great weekend ?

Maybe best not to compare him at all ? I've seen comments saying he has more natural ability than Bully ? How can we compare those two players ?
Costa is not an instinctive goal scorer who would sweat blood for the cause. Bully couldn't dribble passed players as far and as fast as Costa.

Sometimes I think these comparisons can undermine the ability and achievements of past players and put too much expectation on the shoulders of new ones.

Lets just enjoy while he is still with us.

£25M release clause apparently. Decent business.

Oooof

That isn't decent. That is Superlative business. Our rights are brilliantly protected.

Guaranteed £10m in profits. I think that's a win for Fosun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not surprising at all and quite fair to Helder in the scheme of things. Ideally we want to keep him but close season or next season if we aren't up there he has a more than fair escape route. On the other hand if we are up there we can always offer him another contract without the clause....win win really.

In an interview in today's E&S Dalrymple states that Wolves have not bought Costa with a view to selling him in a summer but rather as a 'statement of intent' to attract more quality players to the club.

The deal is a long term one structured to favour us financially

In an interview in today's E&S Dalrymple states that Wolves have not bought Costa with a view to selling him in a summer but rather as a 'statement of intent' to attract more quality players to the club.

The deal is a long term one structured to favour us financially

Bit of a mixed message when the club continues to give below standard players new extended contracts. It just puzzles the fans.

Bit of a mixed message when the club continues to give below standard players new extended contracts. It just puzzles the fans.
I don't think many fans would give those other contracts a second thought when they're considering Costa's deal.

I for one didn't think 'yeah but we gave Doherty a new contract' when I heard we'd signed Costa on a permanent deal.

Sometimes it's just nice to concentrate on the positives when they happen rather than try to balance it with something not quite as exciting.

After the thick end of 20 years of Jez all I see from the club at this time of year is 'Early Bird/season ticket sales'. I hope I'm wrong but at the moment I can't get beyond that level of cynicism.

After the thick end of 20 years of Jez all I see from the club at this time of year is 'Early Bird/season ticket sales'. I hope I'm wrong but at the moment I can't get beyond that level of cynicism.

I'm with you here. Having said that I'm delighted with signing Costa.

Pa[I said:
[/I]rkins left foot;1001368]A question for Pav - what is the Mendes connection worth now?

A brilliant player for at least a year & a definite serious profit if he goes after that (or someone who could well propel us back into the Premier if he stays)

Hey parky, I don't get to the net so often these days, couldn't pay the 35 euros a month as there is no work, at least until April, so I am on the net when I get to a (Paddy will sing shout aloud at this point) a taverna with wiifii.

My response to your question, which everyone thought I was obsessed/manic/pissed on cypro/just a wanker about is tell me....

We signed Costa, the news of which I did a little Irish jig here in the taverna, and then just got pissed tryng to explain why, and everyone said YO MR MENDES!! YOU ARE THE GOD OF WOLVES!!!

Ermmmmm didn't we sign 13 players, (I will only accept DW's account of which were from Mendez) so Costa was a success from the video I watch of him, he should be at Tottenham really.
But I am not sure of Saiss, Cavaliero, at all, who is actually from Mendez and who is from wherever.

BUT!!!!!!
The teams who are playing in the games you are getting a hard on over, don't seem to me to be fielding 11 Mendez players, nor 10..... Nor.......
Price, Saville, Dicko, Docherty, baaath..... COME ON!!!
WHERE THE FUCK IS TEX???

HE WAS THE Greatest thing since sliced bread, before Costa, and he is gone,gone,gooooone...... as the song goes.

Don't slate me for my attack on the Mendez moments, it still seems, that he was a guy who caught some Chinese rich guys by the balls, sold them a chunk of his company,(but not a big enough chunk) and is riding the cash trail through Benfica et al to Wolves.

My question to you parky old pal, is.... In Monty Python style........Apart from Costa what has the Mendez ever done for us?

Guys I have to confess ... As much as I love the pissed all day every day on cypro idea..
I have to type on a tablet at the taverna as they cut off the internet to my house, I am stuck with available wiifii.
I hate tablets, I have fat fingers, and when I read my messages back after I pressed send... I THINK I AM PISSED,

Addendum.... Paddy is right about 37% so far but if things here continue to get worse and worse, no worries Pad, you will bust the 50% no sweat.
Cypro is cheaper then food, and when you are comatose, you have no idea you are hungry.
Brilliant!

I might have a read of the referendum thread now....

Tex has gone out on a sub loan. We only had him on loan anyway.

Tex has gone out on a sub loan. We only had him on loan anyway.

Not even managed to make the bench for Forest yet either. Talented lad but I don't see him doing it in the Championship other than the odd game here and there.

I would say Ronan is a better footballer and he's ours.

Pav, you are a legend. I'd pay a months net for ya

Back