• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome PERMANENTLY to Wolves Helder Costa

I think it's really difficult to judge. Sako excited me more, but was less consistent. Kightly was more effective in our promotion season, but had better players supporting him. Keane was a kid so we all really saw was great raw potential. Natural ability in a position though would go to Murray, just not a natural body unfortunately.
Murray v Sheff UTD was immense such a complete performance from a keeper. Such a shame he was made of play doh. Would love a keeper that can command his area as Murray did.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I've been watching Wolves since 87 and for me Costa is in a totally different league to Sako and Kightly. Dean Richards pre-crash was also stupidly good. Keane comes the closest IMO but the speed at which Costa is able to carry the ball is something else.

I'm delighted that he *wanted* to sign the contract. I'm sure we've made him lots of promises should we fail to get promoted within 2 years etc.

Just so very happy about this news - whether we only have him for this season or longer is immaterial at the moment

Would like to think we can entice him to stay for at least 1 more & if we don't make it up then he goes with our blessing

Welcome Helder, fantastic news! :)

SSN finally cotton on over 2 hours after we announced it! Only a short breaking news sentence though.

Reporting the fee as £12.8m.

I've been watching Wolves since 87 and for me Costa is in a totally different league to Sako and Kightly. Dean Richards pre-crash was also stupidly good. Keane comes the closest IMO but the speed at which Costa is able to carry the ball is something else.

I agree with this and, as an older fan who saw his first game in 1970, I was finding it hard to remember the last time we had a player as good as Costa or near his potential and I can't think of a similar Wolves player in years gone by because of his pace ?

Just pleased to have him and hope we can hang on to him. Brilliant player and worth paying money to watch him.

I hope he tears the Chelsea defence to pieces.

Wonder if he and us are willing to at least start next season in the Old Gold, if we aren't anywhere near promotion, he could always be transferred in the next January window...........I've always been a dreamer

Fantastic news. On comparisons, Keane was very good and the best recent forward. Kites, even pre Robinson tackle was nowhere near Costa in ability. Sometimes Sako was as good but he's not as consistent as Costa.
Cav is actually very similar to Sako's early days as well so if we keep them both AND find someone who can score goals our forward line could be stupidly good for the Championship next season.

I agree with this and, as an older fan who saw his first game in 1970, I was finding it hard to remember the last time we had a player as good as Costa or near his potential and I can't think of a similar Wolves player in years gone by because of his pace ?

Just pleased to have him and hope we can hang on to him. Brilliant player and worth paying money to watch him.

I hope he tears the Chelsea defence to pieces.

He's the most exciting player I've seen at the Molineux since Waggy (rose tinted specs?)...and he's far quicker than Waggy ever was

He has to go in the summer unfortunately. Almost inevitable that we'll get an offer too good to refuse. Both for the club and Costa's own career development. Trudging around the Championship no good for Costa or his value.

If he stays fit, I reckon we'll make $10million on him - a nice war chest for Lambert.

[QUOTE)Costa is a joy to watch, and I'm really pleased he's signed for us.
Personally, I feel Peter Knowles is the best I've seen in a Wolves shirt, followed closely by Peter Broadbent. [/QUOTE]

I first saw Wolves play in 1953. Johnny Hancocks was dynamic with a ferocious shot, Peter Broadbent glided by players with ease and skill, Peter Knowles was clever and could run at defenders, and Waggy was a brilliant winger.... but Costa has all of their qualities. Fast feet, tremendous pace, and wonderful crosses with either foot. It's his balance and ball control at pace that marks him out. The way he goes past defenders reminds me of Broadbent but Peter could never have picked up the ball in his own penalty area and run the length of the field like Costa did on Saturday, gliding past defenders flailing in his wake. That would have been a wonder goal had he not had his ankle tapped just as he shot. The ref should really have given a foul just outside the area. So signing Costa is great news!

Sorry Dazza - I wasn't attacking you in any way with my post, I never even saw that you had posted about Bakary.

To be clear I loved Sako here. He was awesome. But this is another level again. Quite why Benfica have let him go is a (Mendes-based) mystery.
Some Benfica fans on a different site claiming they've robbed us at that price. Can only imagine they haven't seen Helder play this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You youngsters.

Costa is a joy to watch, and I'm really pleased he's signed for us.
Personally, I feel Peter Knowles is the best I've seen in a Wolves shirt

Obviously I have to agree! :nod:

But also I have to admit that what I've seen of him so far, Costa is something very special and I'm so pleased we have him permanently (well, at least until a big gun comes in for him in the summer!).

Pfffttttt. Robbie Dennison scored from 50 yards at Wembley. Top that.

Absolutely delighted with this news. He was brilliant on Sat at Anfield and he has been consistently brilliant for the best part of the season.

Great work by Wolves.

Very exciting for the future, even if we do sell him, we will possibly double our money and the club is starting to look like an attractive prospect for players of that calibre.

Looking forward to coming over for the Birmingham game next month!

Great signing. Genuinely two footed, gives 100%. Defenders hate being run at with pace. Not afraid to shoot either. Just hope some Bastard doesn't crock him.

This is brilliant news, but we now need to build a team around him, keep the ambitious signings coming, buy a top striker.

Back