• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Molineux Benik Afobe

Yep - I'd have taken Price off to be honest, on account of not being needed!

Or RVLP, simply because his pace was neutralized.

I thought he was going to take Price off when he took Henry off - who I thought was very poor.

At what point would you have raken Rajiv off? I thought he had a shocker of a first half ( with some bits of good play coming inside with the ball) but thought he tore the left back apart for most of the second half. Had he been taken off at half time based on performance it wouldn't have been that unfair, the only issue then being we would have really lacked pace outwide.

I thought he was going to take Price off when he took Henry off - who I thought was very poor.

At what point would you have raken Rajiv off? I thought he had a shocker of a first half ( with some bits of good play coming inside with the ball) but thought he tore the left back apart for most of the second half. Had he been taken off at half time based on performance it wouldn't have been that unfair, the only issue then being we would have really lacked pace outwide.

In the first half, it was like someone had taken the batteries out of VLP. Got into decent positions to cross it so many times, but never put a single decent delivery in. So frustrating - just cross the bloody thing!! I wouldn't have complained if he'd been hauled off.

After the break, someone pressed the 'on' button because he was much more lively, and cut it back from the by line several times, one of which Edwards converted. He was miles better in the 2nd half and played a key part in turning 1 point into 3.

Pace wasn't necessarily that important as Blackpool played that deep, that there was little room to move into.

RVLP didn't play one decent ball all game, even the one that lead to the goal was deflected. Henry's strength is his delivery.

I also thought that Blackpool's left back was as quick as RVLP.

Sorry, not so much his pace but ability to run at players when he wants to. Either when coming inside or taking on Dunne round the outside, he pulled someone away and created space. I also thought Iofra did this pretty well.

Henry didn't probide that when he was on the pitch, and though he is a good crosser of the ball when he did deliver into the penalty area in the first half Blackpool were dealing with it fairly easily. Maybe had we had an additional forward (Afobe) he may have had more to aim for but a team defending as deep as that would much rather you send crosses in than take a player on in their penalty area or in and around it.

I hope they keep pushing Rajiv to work on his crossing. At times it isn't too bad (Norwich and Wigan at home two good examples of quality crosses from him) but at best it's inconsistent, often worse. that and if he can become more composed in front of goal he could become a great player for us at this level

Good job this didn't happen as the first goal was Price with a diagonal ball to VLP who went round the FB and put a dangerous ball into the box for Edwards to get on the end of.

My thoughts were that all of the attacking intent was coming down the right hand side in the second half and although the deliveries were shocking at least openings were being created. On the balance of probabilities they (RVLP or Iorfa) were going to one right eventually. It was no surprise to me when Henry and Hause were taken off. I was disappointed with Henry after the rave review that Lycan had given him the week before at Blackburn. Hause did nothing wrong defensively but the ball he put into the South Bank (and the groans that followed) probably made up Jacketts mind for him.

Good job this didn't happen as the first goal was Price with a diagonal ball to VLP who went round the FB and put a dangerous ball into the box for Edwards to get on the end of.

in the 85 minute, from a deflected cross. Not a dangerous ball IMO.

Sorry, not so much his pace but ability to run at players when he wants to. Either when coming inside or taking on Dunne round the outside, he pulled someone away and created space. I also thought Iofra did this pretty well.

Henry didn't probide that when he was on the pitch, and though he is a good crosser of the ball when he did deliver into the penalty area in the first half Blackpool were dealing with it fairly easily. Maybe had we had an additional forward (Afobe) he may have had more to aim for but a team defending as deep as that would much rather you send crosses in than take a player on in their penalty area or in and around it.

I hope they keep pushing Rajiv to work on his crossing. At times it isn't too bad (Norwich and Wigan at home two good examples of quality crosses from him) but at best it's inconsistent, often worse. that and if he can become more composed in front of goal he could become a great player for us at this level

I'm admittedly not a huge RVLP fan. His final ball and game management are bordering of abysmal at times. His one huge asset is his searing pace which he doesn't use enough for me.
With Afobe coming on as you say, Henry would have had more targets to hit. However he hardly had a great game himself, so I can see why he went off, even though tactically I felt it was the wrong decision.

It annoys me when van la Parra checks back when he clearly has the pace to beat his man, especially when there are bodies in the box. He was much more positive in the second half for us and luckily for us that helped create a goal.

He's a more exciting player to watch than Henry, and a lot more flashy which is why I think fans like him. I think Henry is a good footballer, my worry is that he's yet to really prove himself as a consistent performer at this level.

How about decisive ball? Lol

Nice to discuss things with you again NWW. :)

Hah, a lucky cross ;)

And you mate, hope you're well.

It annoys me when van la Parra checks back when he clearly has the pace to beat his man, especially when there are bodies in the box. He was much more positive in the second half for us and luckily for us that helped create a goal.

He's a more exciting player to watch than Henry, and a lot more flashy which is why I think fans like him. I think Henry is a good footballer, my worry is that he's yet to really prove himself as a consistent performer at this level.

I can understand why fans like him. I tend to prefer technique, perhaps why I like Scholes where a lot of people prefer Gerrard.
As for Henry, I thought Dicko had a really really poor game which didn't help

VlP's technique is excellent, his decision making not so. Dicko was isolated in the first half with no help from Edwards to link play and very little from Henry or VlP coming his way he fed on scraps. Afobe gets brought on, plays in Edwards role, Iorfa gets more license to make space on the outside and all of a sudden Blackpool are toast.

VlP's technique is excellent, his decision making not so. Dicko was isolated in the first half with no help from Edwards to link play and very little from Henry or VlP coming his way he fed on scraps. Afobe gets brought on, plays in Edwards role, Iorfa gets more license to make space on the outside and all of a sudden Blackpool are toast.

Disagree on his excellent technique. Shows flashes of excellent touch, then doesn't know what to do with it. Such a raw player.

But for a deflected cross, I feel it is doubtful we would have scored.

Hey ho, win is a win, which is really all that matters.

I'd agree he gets lost in what to do with the ball at times, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on his technique. I think he'll get better the more he plays, he's still raw as you say.

I'd agree he gets lost in what to do with the ball at times, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on his technique. I think he'll get better the more he plays, he's still raw as you say.

He's certainly worth persevering with

I just remembered during one if the times a Blackpool player went down to waste time I saw VLP on the line talking to KJ. Said to my mate he (KJ) is probably doing him to steer clear of taking anymore corners - just taking the piss. Very next corner MacD stepped up to take it

I'm with you NWW.

IMO technique is someone's ability striking a football. His is pretty woeful as his shooting his shocking and his final ball isn't much better. As seen by his corners where he spannered it into the stands and the other out over the top. However he is worth persevering with due to his decent dribbling ability and pace. Teach him how to kick a ball and were on to a winner.

I tend to go by the Football Manager definitions, which distinguish between technique (ability to control the ball and pull off complex moves, like step-overs, or nutmegs, or make a tricky-but-effective through-pass, etc.) and composure (the ability to make use of that technique when confronted by a goal-scoring opportunity). These categories tend to overlap - it doesn't matter if you have good technique if you haven't got the intelligence to think three passes ahead and know that putting the ball somewhere will enable you to get onto it again later in a better position - but they're generally pretty useful. And RVLP's problem, IMO, is good-to-great technique but poor composure.

Back