• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Goncalo Guedes

I'd say it's like going from Rae to Olofinjana. As I never worked out what Seyi was supposed to be other than someone who would score a few if you gave him enough two yard tap ins, and I don't know what Guedes is.

I think it's unfair on seyi and I don't say that lightly as I hated him. At least olofinjana had some quality on the ball in comparison to the level we played. Guedes as you say is a complete nothing player, he doesn't really do anything that impresses.

Please don't get DW started on Olofinjana 😅

Feels a bit weird having someone who has the exact same dislikes as wolves players. If he hated Guy Whittingham then I'd be convinced he's using some kind of Jedi mind trick.

I didn't out-and-out hate Whittingham, just to ease your concerns. Though it was obvious in his first spell that he contributed nothing other than finishing, Kelly was a far better footballer so I didn't want us to buy him, and he was ridiculously past it the second time.

Shaun Newton on the other hand...

I didn't out-and-out hate Whittingham, just to ease your concerns. Though it was obvious in his first spell that he contributed nothing other than finishing, Kelly was a far better footballer so I didn't want us to buy him, and he was ridiculously past it the second time.

Shaun Newton on the other hand...

I was too young for the first time. Just my first football memory is watching him amble about uselessly and asking why he was playing as he was crap. Several blokes around us nodded in agreement.

Newton was infuriating, Kennedy on the other hand was probably one of my favourite wolves players until the last few years. George Ndah will always be #1 though. As such, if I could pick any person to get in a boxing ring with, that cunt matt carbon would be well up there.

Not writing Guedes off, but I have seen nothing that wouldn't make me swap him to get Gibbs-White back given how he had played for a struggling (but vastly more entertaining) side.

He looks like a Nathan Redmond sort, does some things that seems exciting but then when you sit and reflect on his performance then he has done nothing.

I think we had to take that money for MGW given he wouldn't sign a new deal and to be honest, I'm far from convinced he'll actually have a big impact at this level.

We could have done much better than Guedes for £27m though.

MGW would give us a way to play 4231 and I would have loved to see him have a chance to shine. All moot though as the money was good, he wasn't signing and we have Lage managing it

I don't think Guedes has done much to show he's worth the 30m either. Way better than Trincao* though and definitely gets the "see what he's like with a better manager" card

*I really did not like Trincao

He's very busy, and makes decent runs, but he's another in a long list of wide players we've bought who can't pull the trigger with any efficiency. He scored 13 goals in Spain, so he CAN score (I assume given enough good chances in a dominant team), but we all know William Jose did that too.

Still no idea what this guy is.

Took a decent FK but other than that don’t really remember a single thing he did.

Still no idea what this guy is.

Took a decent FK but other than that don’t really remember a single thing he did.
Every corner he took was crap as well. But then again Moutinho was no better when he took over.

Adama looked a lot better when he had Costa to aim for, 3 really nice crosses in the second half, particularly the one that Costa should have scored.

And one in the first half from the left, he did enough to start ahead of Guedes next game.

Reactions: b3h
He's tidy but pointless. Perfect for Lage

You can see he’s going to be an easy target for fans but I didn’t think he was that bad even yesterday. However, you can clearly see he’s still doing some adapting when there was a lot of pressure for him to hit the ground running

I’ll reserve full judgement on Guedes until he plays in a team that gets the ball forward quicker. Everything under Lage is so slow it means all our forwards face packed, organised defence nearly every time they get the ball. That said from what I’ve seen so far it looks like we paid top dollar for him.

Let’s see what happens when he plays in a functioning team before he gets written off - Nunes was pretty anonymous yesterday too.

Back