• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Goncalo Guedes

Don’t think Nunes has been good either. But I can see what he is.

I haven’t written Guedes off, I just can’t see what he is

I’ll reserve full judgement on Guedes until he plays in a team that gets the ball forward quicker. Everything under Lage is so slow it means all our forwards face packed, organised defence nearly every time they get the ball. That said from what I’ve seen so far it looks like we paid top dollar for him.
As will I, but what he's producing now we could have got from Costa and Cav who we moved away from 3/4 years ago, but cost us 27m to do so.

As has Guedes, and Collins wasn’t very good yesterday either. (It’s hard to stop
Scamacca from in the stands).

We can’t judge them until they are being told what to do by an actual manager.

As of now, I see Guedes as a slight upgrade on Trincao. Based on the fact that he appears to have a backbone.

As of now, I see Guedes as a slight upgrade on Trincao. Based on the fact that he appears to have a backbone.
Without trying to jump on the bandwagon, I think it's Lage's tactics, he might still turn out to be crap but I'd like to see him under an actual coach before writing him off.
On Nunes, hasn't he mostly played his best in a 2 and as a sort of box to box style midfielder? Don't think Lage has played him like that at all yet has he?

Without trying to jump on the bandwagon, I think it's Lage's tactics, he might still turn out to be crap but I'd like to see him under an actual coach before writing him off.
On Nunes, hasn't he mostly played his best in a 2 and as a sort of box to box style midfielder? Don't think Lage has played him like that at all yet has he?
Why would you break your transfer record and play someone in their preferred position?

I`m certainly not writing him off.

He's has significantly less ability than Trincao though.

Hopefully he will settle and a new manager will get more out of him but he's been pretty annonymous so far, been very disappointed

He can take a marginally better corner than Moutinho. So can I though.

Guedes is a total nothing player so far tbh.

Yup this is for me too, he looked okay against Spurs in flashes but overall he has played like someone who if they were a loanee, I'd already be thinking we shouldn't commit to them.

Feeling like an ill advised move if it's deemed he was a Lage target.

Guedes was purely Mendes. He’s on record saying “I’ve been trying to get him to wolves for 2 years”.

Either Fosun weren’t spending or Nuno blocked it before

He was in the ground again last night. So must be just waiting for the call to head over to Birmingham Airport.

News making the rounds around Portugal that Benfica is trying to get him back on loan.

(google translate below)

Source: https://abola.pt/Clubes/2023-01-19/...tentar-o-regresso-de-goncalo-guedes/973063/40

Benfica, according to information confirmed by A BOLA, is trying to get Gonçalo Guedes home on loan.

The 26-year-old striker is leaving Wolverhampton and our newspaper also knows that Barcelona and Atl. Madrid are in the race, among other Spanish clubs.

The decision will now be in the hands of Gonçalo Guedes, but the eagles are doing everything for him to return to Luz.

Gonçalo Guedes did all his training at Benfica until he reached the main team, in which he stood out, being transferred to PSG in January 2017 for 30 million euros. In the summer of that year, however, he would be transferred to Valencia, the club that would sign him permanently at the beginning of the following season (2018/2019), in exchange for 40 million euros.

Last summer, and after five seasons at Valencia, he went to Wolverhampton, coached at the time by Bruno Lage, for €32.6 million, but after half a season (18 games, two goals and one assist) he is preparing to change of scenery again and, as evidenced by the interested clubs mentioned above, he continues to be a player in great demand in the market, since he is a versatile striker who can play any of the positions up front, although he is more suited to play in the wings, due to their characteristics.

It should be remembered that Wolves are now coached by Julen Lopetegui, who succeeded Bruno Lage, and recently the Spanish coach had a reaction that hinted at the possible departure of Guedes. «It was a technical decision [to have been left out of the options]. He is our player, but anything can happen », he said after the victory over West Ham (1-0), for the Premier League, on the 14th.

The English clubs, moreover, have already signed two reinforcements for the attack in this winter window: Matheus Cunha (Atl. Madrid) and Pablo Sarabia (PSG).

With 32 games and seven goals for the National Team, Gonçalo Guedes, who is represented by super agent Jorge Mendes, ended up being left out of Fernando Santos' choices for the World Cup in Qatar.

RTP (Portuguese BBC) already speaks of him as being back:

RTP learned this Thursday that Gonçalo Guedes is back at Benfica. The Wolverhampton player reinforces Roger Schmidt's team on loan until the end of the season, with no option clause.
The player completed his entire training at Benfica and at the age of 26 returns to Luz. Gonçalo Guedes moved to Wolverhampton at the beginning of the season, when he was still coached by Bruno Lage. With Julen Lopetegui in charge of Wolves, the Portuguese lost space.

Gonçalo Guedes left Benfica to reinforce PSG but without success. He moved to Valencia where he stayed for five years and was one of the main figures of the Spanish club.

Won't need to try too hard I think.

DW has got Mrs DW on standby to drive him to any UK airport

Cant we just fire him from a big cannon and save on the fuel costs?

Back