• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Matheus Nunes

Just Nun-es is fine. Nobody from Portugal expects us to be able to pronounce Neves properly, it's the same here.

As long as you don't say Nu-Nyez. That's the Spanish way like Darwin Nuñez.
Exactly.

In the Algarve, it would probably be pronounced like Lupo said:
Noonzschh?

We like to cut letters for the sake of time.

why-waste-time-when-few-word-do-trick.gif

Sounds like a very Black Country approach.
Nah, it's a world wide approach, nearly every person in the world will pronounce words and names as they would in their mother tongue.
Obviously there are a few that will try to don't as per the country they're in.

Nah, it's a world wide approach, nearly every person in the world will pronounce words and names as they would in their mother tongue.
Obviously there are a few that will try to don't as per the country they're in.
I meant missing letters out of pronunciation.

Read it this morning. Very interesting. He is going to be VERY special. I'm not sure how long he will be on our books but I intend to enjoy every second of it if I can.

Where do we stand on Nunes at the moment? People I speak too aren’t convinced, but me personally I keep thinking he’s going to explode and become what we think he’s supposed to be. But then I watch him last week and he was absolute garbage kicking the ball out of play 5 out of 5 on cross field balls youd expect Jack Price to make. Then tonight he was decent without being spectacular but you still sit there thinking he can/could be doing more. Doing the hard things well but failing at the easier things etc.

However you watch the performance of the potential replacements and you’re grateful for the 6/10. I think we carry on utilising him in this LM role particularly with Bueno behind, but we really need some tangible output. Really don’t know what I’d do end of the season. Would I take £50m suggested fee and get our money back to “cut our loses” or stick it out and hope he goes off. I’m probably 50/50 on it tbh.

Last edited:
I don't want to chuck him in the bin or anything just yet, but I'm also not remotely convinced he should be a weekly starter

Yeah, it’s obvious the talent is there and he’s better what is behind him.

Sometimes I have to remind myself it’s possible he’s still adapting to a new league, new country etc. if we do sell him and it’s basically a free loan, it will bother me if this year is the platform for him to go and do great things for say, Liverpool

I find it hard to be too critical of anyone who played under Lage but he's not improved hugely under Be Lop A Lula. If someone offered 50m I'd take it. Clearly a talent but then people like Boubs, Lemina and even Gomes have come in and made an instant impact.

If he isn’t delivering more by the end of the season I’d happily take our money back if offered it. Last night he was busy first half, anonymous in the second and that just about sums him up so far. At least he didn’t surrender possession in front of our back four as he has been prone to do at least once a game.

Now we have a competent manager and he’s had time to settle I think there’s still a chance we could see a significant improvement from him but I won’t hold my breath.

If he isn’t delivering more by the end of the season I’d happily take our money back if offered it. Last night he was busy first half, anonymous in the second and that just about sums him up so far. At least he didn’t surrender possession in front of our back four as he has been prone to do at least once a game.

Now we have a competent manager and he’s had time to settle I think there’s still a chance we could see a significant improvement from him but I won’t hold my breath.
Personally thought after he went off (along with Cunha) was when we lost a bit of control of the game, could have been coincidence. It will be interesting to see how he progresses for the rest of the season, now we're playing better.

For me he's not the player we need as the 3rd midfielder in our current set up, or at least I don't think he does the role we need him to. Lemina and Neves' jobs are pretty well defined so that 3rd player needs to be the one that breaks beyond the forwards and moves up into the 10 position in possession. Moutinho hasn't been doing it particularly well either although when he plays his starting position is higher up the pitch.

The Neves position would suit him better, but he's not going to play ahead of him.

I and I think most on here had significant expectations for him, possibly the most exciting signing since Neves imo, so the bar was set extremely. He's fallen a fair bit below them.

We know he took some convincing to come in the first place, but unlike Guedes who clearly didn't want to be here I couldn't accuse him of not trying.

Some good games but not enough of them for the fee paid. Clubs in our position can't afford to be paying out 40m plus for players that don't make a very significant impact as a general rule, luckily this looks like it might be one where we can get our money back and even a small profit which on evidence of him in a Wolves shirt so far, I would take.

As much as I like him as a player I'd take the money for him if it is £50m.

We can then invest in a player that fits better with the system.

We look so much better with 2 up front I would build the side around that.

I think we'll end up selling him for a small profit, but I do think he'll go on to be a much, much better player than the one we've seen so far and we'll be left thinking 'what if'.

Back