• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Matheus Nunes

Fantastic footballer that’s being sacrificed for the good of the team at the moment. Neves is always going to play obviously and Lemina looks our most important player right now but it does mean Matheus is “doing a job” on the left. He’s actually doing it pretty well too and his ball for the goal yesterday was fantastic.

Will probably leave in the summer and in a midfield 2 or 3 somewhere else I should imagine with time will be a stand out player. Don’t think it will happen here due to our attacking set up.

I feel he's looked so much better under lopetegui. And to be fair, he has consistently shown he's up for the fight.
To me, he looks like he should have done when he first came here. Adapting to a new league, country & coach.
It's not unreasonable under lage that he might have wondered why he came here.
It's clear he has phenomenal talent. The way he beats players, sending them the wrong way is outstanding.
Agree with TT that he'd be better in the neves role. My instinct is he'll be in that role next year, with boubacar and gomes.

More likely he slides inside to play where Neves is currently next season after Ruben departs.

"..... next season after Ruben departs."
Can people please stop saying this!
It makes me unhappy and a few others too I don't doubt!
I know he's about 4 years past his expected departure date, but he's got a great manager now and great or pretty good opportunities in front of him, he's playing in the top league in Europe if not the world, and frequently playing against the best players in Europe.
If we just bump his salary and make him a rich boy, I think he can see he's in a pretty good spot...

He's a CL level player who deserves to be playing at that level. Anybody being realistic including the player and those inside the club know that next season he will be. Rather than telling people what they can post...again, just enjoy him while he is here

He's a CL level player who deserves to be playing at that level. Anybody being realistic including the player and those inside the club know that next season he will be. Rather than telling people what they can post...again, just enjoy him while he is here
I agree but, as far as we know, no bids have come in for him, and I hope they don't . If he does go to CL club then I will wish him all the best. He will always be legend at Molineux.

More chatter about him off to Liverpool in the Summer. If there is anything in this I can only assume that it was some sort of done deal when he came as it doesn't stack up based on what he's achieved when here

More chatter about him off to Liverpool in the Summer. If there is anything in this I can only assume that it was some sort of done deal when he came as it doesn't stack up based on what he's achieved when here
Those reports around Christmas that this was a done deal seemed credible to me. Seems absolutely in keeping with the other odd deals we were doing back then. Barring wild changes or injuries his form won’t matter at all. It may also explain why we’ve been using him in positions to just do a job rather than centrally where he might become central to a structure we have to rebuild. Gomes signing also fits. Personally I’ve assumed he’s gone in the summer since those reports came out and worrying about the fee is pointless, it’s all sewn up already.

Said the other week when we played Liverpool, it might only have been a small thing that barely anyone noticed, but I clocked it and thought it spoke a thousand words - when he was subbed off he literally made a point of going to shake Klopp's hand first and got a pat on the back before he even went to Lop.

Those reports around Christmas that this was a done deal seemed credible to me. Seems absolutely in keeping with the other odd deals we were doing back then. Barring wild changes or injuries his form won’t matter at all. It may also explain why we’ve been using him in positions to just do a job rather than centrally where he might become central to a structure we have to rebuild. Gomes signing also fits. Personally I’ve assumed he’s gone in the summer since those reports came out and worrying about the fee is pointless, it’s all sewn up already.
Agree with all of that. I don't suppose Liverpool will be too bothered about his performances with us as it's very likely he'll move to a top club, be played in his favoured position, and turn out to be a world class talent.

Got moved to his favoured position second half last week and then became spurs best player.

Took him off, Moutinho comes on and we bossed the game.
Yeah I noticed that, a bit concerning. His first half performance was really good I thought.

He'll need to learn to pass the ball first
Agree there are sloppy areas to his game, but he'll transform that Liverpool midfield. They've needed someone like him for a while now. Plus different surroundings/players/teammates/expectations etc will all have an impact. I don't doubt for a minute he'd be a success moving there. Just hope we make a profit on him.

It’s not just his passing that is poor. He loses the ball in dangerous areas too often and whilst he probably got away with it in Portugal the PL is far less forgiving.

Agree there are sloppy areas to his game, but he'll transform that Liverpool midfield. They've needed someone like him for a while now. Plus different surroundings/players/teammates/expectations etc will all have an impact. I don't doubt for a minute he'd be a success moving there. Just hope we make a profit on him.
Will he? He likes to slow the game down in almost exactly the same way as Thiago. Weird fit for Klopp's style, IMO.

Will he? He likes to slow the game down in almost exactly the same way as Thiago. Weird fit for Klopp's style, IMO.
I think they've needed someone to pick the ball up deep and drive forward for a while. They haven't got legs in the midfield. None of Thiago, Keita, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Elliot can do what Nunes does, on his day.

He's played poorly recently, particularly his passing.

Started well under J-Lo though and you can see the potential if he can bring it all together. Could also just be one of those that needs a year to adapt.

He hit passes on Saturday like I hit golf balls. Regardless if the tree is almost impossible to hit given how much sky there is in comparison, I’m picking it out. It’s the same with Nunes and opposition players right now.

Back