• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Ryan Bennett

It's clear to me from Dalrymple's comments today about Mendes not being allowed to officially be in charge of recruitment that we need Thelwell there as a notional DofF who'll do as he's told. To give the perception that he is in charge of recruitment we'll have to take the odd Ryan Bennett, in the same way as the Mendes link means we have to take the odd Ola John

And this is ok is it? Sounds like a massive conflict of interest to me, but who cares right? We're fucking minted so we can do what we want.

It's clear to me from Dalrymple's comments today about Mendes not being allowed to officially be in charge of recruitment that we need Thelwell there as a notional DofF who'll do as he's told. To give the perception that he is in charge of recruitment we'll have to take the odd Ryan Bennett, in the same way as the Mendes link means we have to take the odd Ola John

Yep. There's a system play it

And this is ok is it? Sounds like a massive conflict of interest to me, but who cares right? We're $#@!ing minted so we can do what we want.
I didn't express an opinion on whether it was OK, just what I thought was happening. As I said when the Lambert news first broke, I personally prefer managers, not coaches who sign their own players as I like the accountability this brings, but that is becoming more and more an outdated philosophy and that's only going to continue.

In terms of Thelwell being sidelined in isolation then yes that is ok, see yesterday's signing for the reason why.

I didn't express an opinion on whether it was OK, just what I thought was happening. As I said when the Lambert news first broke, I personally prefer managers, not coaches who sign their own players as I like the accountability this brings, but that is becoming more and more an outdated philosophy and that's only going to continue.

In terms of Thelwell being sidelined in isolation then yes that is ok, see yesterday's signing for the reason why.

There's a substantial difference between hiring a DoF one one hand and asking an agent to fulfill a DoF's role on the other. A true DoF will act in the best interest of the club that pays him, whereas an agent is only accountable to himself and the player he represents.

I'm willing to wait and see where this new setup takes us, but I'm far from convinced that it's the best route for us to be taking.

In the wider scheme of things Thewell will have a lot of contacts in football now and I doubt he has been willing to be part of a notional set up when it's highly likely he would find employment else where. The academy technical programme was developed by him (his name is on the literature I was given by Proser too), we don't know what he precisely does, however I don't find it unfathomable that the owners are some what impressed by him.

I sincerely hope there is some cohesion in Thelwell and Nuno's philosophy of 'improving footballers' but I liked Bennett's interview and I also liked Nuno's so you never know. All I'm getting from the relationship is the scene in Jaws where Dreyfuss pops over to the chief, they go down to the quay and they cut open the wrong shark. They both knew it was the wrong shark before it was cut open.

Can anyone remember even one goal we've conceded since Bennett has signed which you could say was 100% his fault?

The header he put back into the box against Burton(?) when we won 3-1. I think it was that game anyway. Other than that, no.

EDIT: No that was the wrong game, can't remember which one it was, sure Dan will help out.

It was against Bolton when we won 5-1, and it wasn't even a header back. He made a bad pass out from the back that they scored from.

Don’t think it was all on him at all but I remember a shitty headed clearance against Fulham when they scored

Regardless of whether he has been individually responsible for conceding a goal (name me a defender who hasn't), I think it is fair to say Ryan has been an absolute revelation, particularly this season, and I think he has rarely given a less than 7 out of 10 performance. If he isn't in Southgate's thoughts for international consideration this season with this form I'd be surprised, even if not actually in a squad, I bet he is considered.

Regardless of whether he has been individually responsible for conceding a goal (name me a defender who hasn't), I think it is fair to say Ryan has been an absolute revelation, particularly this season, and I think he has rarely given a less than 7 out of 10 performance.

Totally agreed. If we can only pick two instances where he may be responsible for a goal so far that's really saying something. He's been first class.

Bennett had only recently got into the starting line up when we had that Bolton game too so his proclivity to lump it was still fairly intact.

It smacked of a mistake from a player adapting to a new game.

Bennett has been absolutely fucking fantastic for us. Dendoncker has a real fight on his hands to get into the starting line up.

I was thinking that earlier,how mad is it that a player if his calibre can’t get into our starting XI?

We have come a VERY long way under Nuno. And the journey is just beginning.

Anyone fancy a European tour next season? I would fucking love a competitive game against Benfica for a start!

Is Bennett a great example of why England aren't as good as they could be?

Bennett came to us as a kick it and head it merchant but has been refined into a player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

You wonder where his career might have gone if he'd been coached properly 10 years ago

A solid enough signing and one which improves our squad (i.e. He's better than the departed Stearman & Williamson).

Not a signing to get the juices flowing, but we'll need players like this over the course of a season.
Quite happy with my initial comment in this thread, when I compare it to some of the other posts on the first couple of pages.

Needless to say, Ryan has performed above and beyond all of our expectations. He’s been brilliant. Plus he seems like a top bloke.

At what point do you become a full blown wanker by quoting and then claiming greatness of your own posts?

Been a fair bit lately.

Back